Repairing speakers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Red2.5

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Repairing speakers

Post by Red2.5 »

Greetings all, just wanted to share a successful fix I just did with the rear subwoofer. This was a Phillips 5" version but this should work with all the others assuming you purchase the correct kit/size.

We purchasd this car recently, and as part of my inspection I noted the subwoofer didn't work. Upon disassembly, as usual the foam surround was completely disintegrated. Being that these are 2ohm speakers and hard/expensive to find, I decided to try and repair it. I purchased a foam replacement kit from a company here in the States called Simply Speakers: https://www.simplyspeakers.com/bmw-spea ... sk-5L.html. Followed the directions and a few hours later I had a perfectly functional subwoofer for a fraction of the price of new, if I could even find one. This is a great option for those who don't need/want to upgrade their system, want to sell the car with a working stereo, etc. If you're not sure on the correct size or kit, just contact the company and they will help you. Their customer service was excellent. Hope this helps someone! :D