BM Steelers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

BM Steelers

Post by Z3andZ4 »

Don’t necessarily trust that your VIN ensures BM order and deliver the right parts.

They ordered the non-AC blower resistor. I got the passenger side and glove box out and it was never going to fit.

I then realised it was in the engine bay, so ripped that out. Then I saw the part it was NOT what I had from BM.

It seems they ordered the wrong part for me. They will exchange it and it’ll be there tomorrow for me……but..

Let’s hope I get it all back together again and enjoy the satisfaction of it working and saving about £100 labour at least.

Neil
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: BM Steelers

Post by mrscalex »

There is the occasional error in the parts catalog. I spotted this recently with a facelift air vent channel. realoem has the sides swapped over.

Personally I don't go with calling them steelers. Not for spares at least. Servicing maybe more so. Their parts eco system is generally very good and many of the fixings and small parts often needed are very fairly priced.
Last edited by mrscalex on Tue 08 Feb, 2022 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

For the most part the VIN does get you to the correct part numbers, but it seems to go wrong when optional equipment comes into play. A/C was optional and that is what actually governs the location (and part no) of the blower resistor pack. On cars without A/C it is in the centre console footwell and on cars with A/C it is under the cowl.

My advice is to let the dealer look up the part number, and then if it is wrong, it is their fault and shouldn't be asked to pay for the incorrect part. If you give the part number and it is wrong, they can legitimately charge you for it, as they may not be able to return it.

My local dealer has always been very helpful with sorting out parts - many years ago I did a full rollhoop retrofit with all new parts and they found them all for me, including some that took quite a bit of finding!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

Thanks for your reply.

They excelled themselves today, correct part delivered in less than 18 hours and no quibble exchange, only £5 difference.

They also admitted their mistake on ordering me the non A/C part and said they should have checked more carefully.

I got everything back together this afternoon and am well chuffed I have a 4 speed blower again 🤗🤗🤗

Small note, you know the tiny plastic screw cap covers in and around the dash £2.75 plus VAT - not for a pack of 10, EACH. I can manage without new ones, I’ll re-use the ones that came out, albeit slightly bashed about.

In the end Zeeks were brill the You Tube link in the archive of help was 👌

Onwards and upwards.

Need to have a look at the electric soft top motor when I get the hard top off and see what’s what there.

A ? for you maestro, does the headlamp washer really only come on once every 4 button pulls with the headlights on?

You like your Z’s? Wish I could post photo’s as mine has just been in the body shop as some one couldn’t park and damaged my front end, so I have a new drivers side wing, respray bonnet and all front bumper, new wheel inner and new front grilles. She looks more like a teenager again not someone just celebrating their 20th birthday last week.

Can we exchange photo’s Robert? My email is neil@neilpirie.com

Cheers
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg