Brake Caliper and Pad Differences. Help Needed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Jphoto

Z3 roadster 2.8

Brake Caliper and Pad Differences. Help Needed

Post by Jphoto »

Are there different caliper and pads for 2.8 models? I just ordered some new calipers for my late 1998 UK spec pre face lift 2.8 roadster and the calipers I have just removed are smooth where as my new callipers have ridges almost like fins on the top of the caliper (pictures included to show what I mean). I’ve measured all the bolt holes, lengths, heights etc and they seem to be the same. Have I bought the incorrect callipers?

I’m also looking to get a set of EBC pads but my issue is EBC and most other websites show two different part numbers and types of pads they look the same shape and have the same measurements except one is 1mm longer It seems.

How do I know which is correct? Was there a change in caliper design after a certain time?

any help would be very appreciate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Brake Caliper and Pad Differences. Help Needed

Post by LaRy »

I have a guess after looking at a sparepart supplier Schmiedmann.se.
He is selling the one with fins for unventilated 12 mm brake rotors and the other type shown in your photo is fitting 22mm ventilated rotors.
I advice you to check the gap in the brake caliper between the piston and the opposite wall, is it the same?
AndyT62

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by AndyT62 »

Hi recently purchased x4 calipers for my 2001 1.9.
I used RealOEM.com to find the correct part no's for my specific year and engine of car.
I used after a bit of searching I used Autodoc uk to supply the calipers.
The part finder on this site is very good for narrowing down your choices.
All four calipers are exact replacements and very happy with the quality.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

I made some futher investigations. Your car has most probably 22mm vent rotors. Both types shown in your pictures will most probably fit. The one with the "fins", made by Brembo and the other type made by Bosch. Both made for ATE brake systems.

I can also see that brake pads are made for two different brake systems, ATE or Teves. Some prepared for the EBS and some not.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Andy T62 said
I used Autodoc uk to supply the calipers....
I assume these were exchange and you had to return the old calipers to get a deposit back.

Calipers are heavy. What was the return process like (did they make it easy or did you have to sort it out yourself) and how much did it cost?

Thanks
Mark
AndyT62

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by AndyT62 »

Postage return costs were unfortunatly uneconomical to say the least so will be adding them to my scrap metal collection
but as mentioned in previous post very happy with the quality of the refurbished calipers.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Thanks.
Thought that might be the case as it seems from the website that the return address is in Germany.