Viscous fan coming on almost instantly

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ali roper

Z3 roadster 2.8

Viscous fan coming on almost instantly

Post by Ali roper »

As the title says.. my viscous fan comes on after a few minutes and stays on, making the car sound like a hovercraft it’s a 2.8 1999 pre facelift. When does everyone else’s come on? I’m acquiring the parts to delete it completely
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Viscous fan coming on almost instantly

Post by LaRy »

I have a 2.8l 1998 and I would say that I never hear any fan. Seems to be disconnected, rotating slowly all the time.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

My viscous fan hardly ever comes on. Occasionally hear it after a longer run in summer as I'm putting it away in the garage when there is no airflow through the radiator.

I've never heard of them becoming oversensitive. When they fail, they seem to lock up completely. Is your car running warm?

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Ali roper

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ali roper »

Temps running fine, it has literally locked up but not quite. I’ve removed it now and am sourcing parts to delete it altogether.
Andyboy

blank.gif

Post by Andyboy »

Don't delete it, it's there for a reason.

A new coupling isn't expensive.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Don't blame the viscous coupling - it is trying to tell you that it is past its sell-by date!

You do not tell us how many miles your car has covered, ut 70,000 miles is an average life for a viscous coupling, after which it makes a lot of noise and can possibly break up, throwing a blade through the radiator.

If your car has a/c the condensor fan will keep the engine cool (as on the 2.2 models) but like anything else, it can give problems too. It is always wise to have a backup, so fit a new coupling - and carefully check the blade roots for cracks.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!