Rear window beading.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Rear window beading.

Post by mich »

Anyone had issues with rear window beading coming off on 2002 roadster? It hides the join between window and hood, mine has just started and effects about 20-25mm at the moment I intend to restick with super glue and hope the plastics are compatible with the glue. Any advice appreciated.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Rear window beading.

Post by LaRy »

mich, I've been reading and reading, I just don't understand your probelm. Seems like no one else either. Please specify more, and maybe we can help you.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

LaRy wrote: Thu 23 Mar, 2023 08:47 mich, I've been reading and reading, I just don't understand your probelm. Seems like no one else either. Please specify more, and maybe we can help you.
OK LaRy, well as you know the rear window is attached to the hood by a Zip and the Zip is protected from the elements by a plastic beading which is held in place either by an Adhesive or it clips onto/into something. Over time the plastic becomes brittle and can break (as mine has) its average life I believe is 15 years so mine has done well. The beading is not available as a separate item (surprise surprise) it comes with a new rear window at a price in NZ of just over $900.00 and I am told it comes with some kind of Adhesive????. In a bid to save a bit of money I have tried to restick with Super Glue (between the actual window and the inner edge of the beading) but have had no success and obviously you do not want to get this (adhesive) onto the actual Zip. I was just asking if anyone has had this happen to their Z3 and if so was it fixable or not.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Thanks, now I understand your problem. I have now seen a Youtube how to change the rear window. In the video, the person is complaining about that some previous person has been using some sort of glue, making it hard for him to install the old hood in a proper way.

I have replaced the complete softtop including the window, to a good copy made of the best fabrics, Sonnenland. But my window cannot be changed separately in the future. The price is less than you pay for the window.......Right now 566EUR.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

I have just had the steering rack overhauled + other work and a full service which has cost quite a packet and normally I would not hesitate to get the new window etc but my circumstances have changed with time, the market down here has not been in favor of Z’s so I may just sit on it for a while and I do have a sticky tape which is fantastic and with a lot of patience and a steady hand would hold it down while I ponder as to sell or not.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

I believe there is a replacement rear window that has a flap of material to glue down and cover the beading for cases where, like on my Z3, the material has frayed and parted company. From what I recall it wasn't particularly pretty.

I'll see if I can find a link, which I think was on YouTube and filmed in the US?
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

My Z has the flap you mention and the beading just provides an extra seal, you could get rid of the beading and find a product that would make the flap look better
yellowz

blank

Post by yellowz »

Hello, I had my original window split with a loud bang when folding the hood down, and bought a new window from an American company but here in UK. It was just around £100 can't remember the exact amount but it wasn't much more.
It zipped in perfectly single handed but had the flap of material mentioned instead of the rubber bead, they supplied what is the equivalent of a tube of evo-stick which made me turn up my nose so I bought some black marine adhesive and stuck the flap with that, the only draw back is a little smear of the glue showing here and there but as its black it doesn't notice too much, worked very well hasn't leaked in well over a year now
The only thing I would do if I had to repeat it would be to get a small nozzle to fit the tube so the stuff could be applied a bit neater.
DD