Clutch pedal Squeek Driving me mad!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightcycler

Z3 coupe 2.8

Clutch pedal Squeek Driving me mad!!

Post by lightcycler »

Hi All

Of late since the hot weather I have noticed that when releasing the clutch I hear a prolonged squeek - rather like an old spring.

I had a quick squizz this evening and thought this would be relatively straight forward - squirt here and there (or where I could access) of WD40 and it would be sorted - BUT NO.

Any ideas guys and gals this is driving me around the bend!!!
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

I used spray on grease with a tube on the nozzle & small mirror & a torch in the footwell & newspaper to catch the surplus grease & managed to reach the right spot.
WD40 is rather thin for long term lubrication.
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

Robin wrote:WD40 is rather thin for long term lubrication.
:shock: Too many jokes........... :lol:
In God We Trust - everyone else gets PNC'd.

Squeak

Post by Guest »

Are you sure it is a squeak? My 2.8 makes an odd noise which could be described as a squeak, perhaps, when the clutch pedal is depressed and passes the 'two-thirds down' point. This is caused by the diaphragm spring in the clutch throwing over.

this is only audible when the engine is stopped - if you can hear a squeak with the engine running, it must be quite something! If so, remove the trim panel above the pedals, and apply a bit of engine oil to the pivots on the clutch pedal - not just where it pivots, but also the small pushrod connecting it to the master cylinder.
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Clutch pedal Squeek Driving me mad!!

Post by bighfishing »

[quote="lightcycler"]Hi All

Of late since the hot weather I have noticed that when releasing the clutch I hear a prolonged squeek - rather like an old spring.

i now have this problem when the weather is hot, i am going to sort it out using some lithium grease as people have done in other posts, but what i cant understand is why it is so temeramental with the weather.
friday and saturday - red hot - lots of squeaking.
sunday - wet and damp - totally silent.
monday - warmish - slight squeaking.
ZedMatt

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ZedMatt »

I've had this too for the past month. It's just starting to grate on me, so might have to follow everyone else and get fumbling around in the dark with some lubricant :D

Is this a BMW clutch thing? I had a 316i years ago that did exactly the same. Back then I just mentioned it to my freindly indy service guy and it went away :lol:
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighfishing »

i had a go at it last week, i took the foot pedal guard off and the lower section of the dashboard off and i still couldnt get right up where the pedal hinges, but i only had a can of 3 in 1 oil with a short spout if i had had a can of lithium grease with a tube on i would have got sorted so i will do it again this weekend. i think the only way to do this accurately is to remove both lower panels which is not very hard as its only a few screws, this is on a facelift model i think earlier models could have slightly different lower panels going from a picture ive seen in another thread.
bighfishing

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighfishing »

took both lower panels off tonight and sprayed all moving pedal parts with lithium grease, it is now totally silent. once you have took these lower panels off once and know what your doing, the next time it is only a five minute job. once i had done the clutch pedal i then noticed a slight squeak on the brake pedal so i did that as well and then the throttle pedal as well just in case, everything is now silent.
leahandsteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by leahandsteve »

Had this on my M3, remove the two bushes that the pedal assembly pivots on and cover them in graphite grease.

Did mine 3 years ago and the squeak has not come back.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Bit of grease and your sorted
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

The best fix for this problem is to fit improved pivot bushes available from here:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... oducts.asp
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power