My first Z3 - Help!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Waillo

blank.gif

My first Z3 - Help!

Post by Waillo »

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to buy my first Z3 and will have about £10k to spend. I know most people seem to say get the 2.8 but I don't think I'll have the cash for that. I will be using it as my every day car but know very little about them.

What model should I get and what should I look out for?

It has to be under 5yrs old to qualify for my company car cash scheme at work.

Thanks

a soon to be Z3 newbie!
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I think you'll be lucky to find a decent car for <£10k less than 5 years old. That's new shaped cars you're looking at and there were only a few 2.8's in that style anyway. They made the 3.0 in '00 and they will be too pricey. The 1.9 also phased out and a 1.8 was sold I think, but is thought to be a bit feeble powerwise. Might fall into your price band though?

Shop around is all I can recommend.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Waillo

blank.gif

Post by Waillo »

Thanks Stu,

From looking on Autotrader there seem to be a few 2.0 models about just over that marker, so I guess its one of these.

Can you or anyone suggest what to look for when buying one?

I don't buy a complete dog, I'm the unluckiest person I know when it comes to cars!!

Cheers

Waillo
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

New owners of 2.0's?

Post by stu »

2.0 is a good choice as it has the 6 cylinder noise (fab) and a bit more get up and go.

Just do a search on various key words like 'buying guide' or 'buying advice' on here and you'll find loads of stuff.

I'd look on BMW's used car website first to look at what top book looks like and mybe even have a look at a dealer car first before you start bartering.

An independent inspection is probably wise if you've a history of being 'unlucky' with cars. I recall no bad stories about 2.0's though.

Any new 2.0 owners help out?
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Bloke

Other roadster

Post by Bloke »

I bought my 2.0ltr from new in June 2000 and have not really had any problems mechanically as such, just a few cosmetic issues.

Rust around the boot lid and wing Mirror mounts and corroding alloys, the roof lining has come lose a once and was replaced under the original 3yr warranty, but was not covered by extended warranty.

Nothing other than that really, flat battery once, but that was replaced under warranty.

the 2.0 ltr sounds great, exhaust note rumbles and pops, so that is normal, nothing to worry about,

Could be quicker, but I just had mine remapped by Chipped UK and I am happy with the results.

Good luck hunting.

Bloke
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

I have a 2.0 litre Z3. :D Picked it up in July of this year--I was initially looking for a 2.8 Z3 but spotted mine in a dealers, drove it and was immediately smitten. (It also had cruise which was good-to stop me from speeding).

I've been a fan of BMW 6-cyclinder engines from my first encounters with the M20 units in 325i E30s so I was always looking for one.

The M52 engine in the Z3 range is a cracker! Now,the 2.0 doesn't have immense get-up-and-go but it likes revs and can move along rapidly enough when given fuel. As Bloke says, the exhaust note sounds very well too with a resonant baritone grumble. Not quite E36 325i - IMHO they'll never create a better exhaust note :P :P :P :P :P :P - but very pleasing all the same!

When buying make sure there is no clutch judder when in reverse and especially when being driven from cold. Check also for rattles from the back end - sometimes can be simply resolved with new petrol tank straps, but can sometimes mean big bills with diff or drivetrain problems. As already mentioned, check for rust around the boot & also check there are no leaks in the roof and that the car has been serviced at the correct intervals and by someone who knows what they're doing. Zed's need "proper" TLC as they're quirky while hugely entertaining little cars. :mrgreen:

Finally, another good reason for the 2.0 is increasing fuel costs. :cry: Arrrgh!!

Bloke, can you give some details of your 2.0's remap. What performance gains have you made? I'd be interested to learn. Ta.
Last edited by ///M_aniac on Thu 08 Sep, 2005 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

Well when buying a Z I would say when you test drive give it some beans if the power isn't constant all the way through the rev range could be a sign that the cam shaft sensor is on it's way out although a fairly cheap fix, Definitely give the clutch a good hammering BMWs are known for juddering clutches when warm or stuck in traffic ques. full service history is a must like said above they do need to be looked after even if a small engined version. Haven't had any problems with bodywork apart from the wing mirrors seems to be another Z problem that most have encountered. early smaller engines had alloy blocks which were prone to wear with your budget and year of manufacture that shouldn't be a problem though but in-case you do find one with an alloy block a compression check would be a good idea. If your going for Air Con check it works these can be costly to repair think thats about it bu that is only my knowledge on the smaller engines the M's are a completely different matter.
God gave me Taste, BMW made the Z3. It's not a girls car, It's a Mans car in Drag !!
Andre_z_3000

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Andre_z_3000 »

Yeah when I was buying mine I had an option of old shape 2.8 or new shape 2.0.

In the end I went the 2.0 cos I wanted the new body shape and all the little interior and exterior tweaks that came with it.

The 2.0 is still a six, and it sounds great, intial acceleration from 0-60km/h is I think pretty similar to the 2.8, of course that tapers off from 60-100;), but I'm not a speed freak, and the 2.0 sounds so lovely driving thru the twisties, or when I'm in traffic.

Plus, as ppl have said, you save on petrol, which is becoming a big deal slowly. So yeah, I'd recommend the 2.0, it's great fun!
Andre_Z_3000
2000 Arctic White z3

QED

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by QED »

Dont base your choice on petrol consumption, all the 6 cylinder models (2.0 to 3.0) have similar mpg:
  • 2.0 2d - 30mpg
    2.0 2d Auto - 28mpg
    2.0 Cosmos Black Edition 2d - 30mpg
    2.0 Velvet Blue Edition 2d - 30mpg
    2.0 Mora Edition 2d - 30mpg
    2.0 Aegean Blue Edition 2d - 30mpg
    2.2 2d - 30mpg
    2.2 2d Auto - 29mpg
    2.2 Sport 2d - 30mpg
    2.2 Sport 2d Auto - 29mpg
    2.2i Sapphire Edition 2d - 30mpg
    2.2i Titanium Edition 2d - 30mpg
    2.8 2d - 30mpg
    2.8 2d Auto - 27mpg
    2.8 Fiji Edition 2d - 30mpg
    2.8 Orinoco Edition 2d - 30mpg
    3.0 2d - 29mpg
    3.0 Sport 2d - 29mpg
    3.0 2d Auto - 28mpg
    3.0 Sport 2d Auto - 28mpg
I have a 3.0 and the trip computer states that I've been getting around 29.5mpg.
Bloke

Other roadster

Post by Bloke »

30mpg from a 2.0ltr, In what world :D :D :D

Not if you drive it like me you dont :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bloke
Buzz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Buzz »

Ditto that Bloke! I've not got anywhere near to 30mpg in my 2.0!!!!

Buzz
Waillo

blank.gif

Post by Waillo »

Thanks everyone. The hunt starts now!

I dont suppose anyone has a 2.0 cosmos black Z going cheap do they?!
QED

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by QED »

///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

[quote="Waillo"]Thanks everyone. The hunt starts now!

Best of luck in the search. Hope you'll be Zeddin' :mrgreen: very soon.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Bloke

Other roadster

Post by Bloke »

Waillo wrote:Thanks everyone. The hunt starts now!

I dont suppose anyone has a 2.0 cosmos black Z going cheap do they?!

£12,500 and its your :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bloke