brake pads...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Buzz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

brake pads...

Post by Buzz »

Hello people! really stupid question probably but I'm really lazy, when the brake pads get low on my 2.0 will a light come on somewhere to tell me to change them or do I actually have to go the trouble of looking at them myself?

Cheers

Buzz. (aka lazy boy)
Robin

M roadster S50

Re: brake pads...

Post by Robin »

Buzz wrote:Hello people! really stupid question probably but I'm really lazy, when the brake pads get low on my 2.0 will a light come on somewhere to tell me to change them or do I actually have to go the trouble of looking at them myself?

Cheers

Buzz. (aka lazy boy)
The brake warning light normally comes on when they are down to around the last thousand miles of life left in them.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

It will do as long as the wear sensor was replaced when fitting the last set of brake pads.

If you have alloys ususally you can see the brake pads just for a quick visual check.
Buzz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Buzz »

Cheers Robin, much appreciated....

Buzz.

Pad Wear

Post by Guest »

The idiot light is just that - for people who have no interest in their car's workings!

Replace the pads when they get to no less than a quarter of an inch (OK - 6 mm) thick, as when worn to almost nothing (when the light comes on) they are well past their best as braking material, and also cannot absorb the heat generated by a good does of braking. This means that the brakes will fade if applied hard at speed.

Brake pads are a lot cheaper than new front end metal!
Buzz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Buzz »

Erm, thanks Mike, I think?! and you're right, I have no interest in how the car works - I simply enjoy driving it! I don't necessarily want or need to know how to build one from scratch.

:lol:

Buzz.

How it Works

Post by Guest »

It's no use declining to find out anything about your car - unless you have lots of money! Find out the same way most 'experts' did - a bit at a time, and you will soon be an expert on at least some parts of it. It's not magic, really.