M Roadster Temperature

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Rocketman

M roadster S50

M Roadster Temperature

Post by Rocketman »

Can anyone tell me what sort of temperature reading you are getting on the Water Temp gauge on the centre console. Mine reads in degrees C and appears to be around 40? What is 'normal'?

Cheers

Rocketman
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

Not got water temp gauge? Gauges left to right, Oil Temp, Outside Temp, Clock?
Water Temp shown on dash, the needle on mine is normally straight up at 12 o'clock when up to working temp and driving.
Rocketman

M roadster S50

Post by Rocketman »

aj2007,

Thanks for that. As you can tell I am new to the Z3M, just converted from Z3 1.9! I thought the reading was a bit odd.

I suppose I should sit down and read the owners handbbook.

Rocketman
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

I assume you were looking at the oil temp gauge, the gauge is quite slow to move from cold, my needle sits below the 50 deg mark for quite a while. On a day like today driving in traffic mine sits at the first line clockwise from 50 deg when up to temp, however if you start 'givin it sum' you will see it rise possibly to 120 deg, this is normal. Recommendation is to wait till the oil is at 60 degrees before exceeding 4000rpm, this is also supposed to help extend the life of the vanos.
(see page 70 of handbook)

Ade
Rocketman

M roadster S50

Post by Rocketman »

Thanks for the info on the oil temp (left hand gauge) but it was the central gauge I was looking at. I'm amazed they bothered with a gauge like that in an M. Doesn't really seem that relavent.

Cheers

Rocketman
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Must be hot summers where you live! Outside temp doesn't seem that important, but it is nice to know about any potential ice patches with 300+ bhp going through the rear wheels!
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster