Boot Weld Repair

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Rocketman

M roadster S50

Boot Weld Repair

Post by Rocketman »

I'm about to take delivery of the Randy Forbes boot weld / diff bracket repair kit for my Z3M Roadster.

The full option repair is quite involved and includes changing the diff housing as well as letting in the new strengthened crossmember.

Can anyone recommend a reliable / quality company to carry out the repair?

Regards

Rocketman
Rocketman

M roadster S50

Boot Floor Welds

Post by Rocketman »

Got my repair kit delivered from Randy Forbes,

Can anybody recommend someone to carry out the repair work for me?

I will need the strengthened cross member welded in and I want to fit the different Diff cover (two securing points not one).

Any ideas.....Pease!

Rocketman
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If you don't know any local companies already I would get the installation instrcutions off Randy (I've seen them and they are very detailed) and email them to some local firms and see what response you get from them. You can then narrow down your search to companies that have done this type of thing before and will offer some sort of warranty for their work allowing you to go and see them and talk through it in detail before making a decision.

From what I've seen (though I'm no expert) with Randy's instrctions and kit any competant accident repair centre should be able to carry out the work with warranty.

From memory though you may need to source another diff carrier (from another BMW model), again I'm sure Randy's extensive posts on his kit will confirm this / if you email him.

Good luck with it and it would be great if you can get whoever carries out the work to photodocument the install for you (on the basis they may get repeat orders etc.....)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Rocketman

M roadster S50

Boot Welds

Post by Rocketman »

Thanks for the input Jonttt,

That was the plan if no other recommendations come in. I was considering Munich Legends. I spoke to them at the last Gaydon show but didn't have the Randy Forbes kit at the time.

I have the install instructions from Randy and as I intend to keep the car I will go for the full install and Diff cover change he recommends.

If I can get photo records of the install I'll post it on zroadster.

Regards

Rocketman
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Jonttt wrote:... and it would be great if you can get whoever carries out the work to photodocument the install for you (on the basis they may get repeat orders etc.....)
Great idea, especially as St Neots is an easy part of the country for most people to get to.

Boot floor repairs are going to become more common as these cars get older (IMHO), and the Randy Forbes solution is a tried and tested upgrade.

The welder may even become Randy Forbes' authorised agent if he plays his cards right.
Pingu