bmw z3m analogue clock Not working

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
KERMIT1970

M roadster S50

bmw z3m analogue clock Not working

Post by KERMIT1970 »

My clock has stopped working lately. Power & all connections ok. Looks like it’s failed. Trying to source new one without success. Is there anyone that could repair theses old clocks.
Rory4711

M roadster S50

Re: bmw z3m analogue clock Not working

Post by Rory4711 »

I know this particular clock...

it either ceases to work or goes very slow if the car doesn't get much use. Weird, but it's what happened when I had it. A good few runs and it goes just fine AND keeps time ! Mind you, maybe it's just knackered by now :lol: Trust everything else is still ok
KERMIT1970

M roadster S50

Post by KERMIT1970 »

Hi Ken, no it’s not working at all now. Cars spot on tucked up for winter. :)
petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

There used to be someone on one the forums, Z3MC I think, who knew someone who could repair them. Might take me a while to suss out who it is but I’ll have a go. I had the same problem a few years ago and ended up buying a new clock. Expensive!!!!
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
Rory4711

M roadster S50

Post by Rory4711 »

It may be worth trying J Morrow of West Kilbride ( 01294-829 839 ) They do clock repairs and restorations. Ok, it's 12v not 240, but I assume principles are similar. At worst they may be able to recommend someone.

Also, Petcossie's right; I do remember seeing something showing you one pulled apart to clean & fix. This forum or the coupe one. Somewhere ! :rtm:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

So here's the cure.....
The pro on these is Bertiejaffa. But bottom line is that the little internal things get gungy with something akin to the lint fluff you find in the bottom most corner of your trouser pocket if it hasn't been turned inside out for a while.
The remedy is to use switch cleaner to blast the gunk free, then give the internals a good dose of WD 40 or similar. Manually rotate the clock hands through several full rotations in both directions, then give it another blast of switch cleaner, allow to evaporate, and then give it a light WD 40 squirt.
Reconnect and test for a few days. You may find it will work and then get stuck again - or not.... if it does, repeat the cleaning / lube process until you have it functioning again.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
KERMIT1970

M roadster S50

Post by KERMIT1970 »

Thanks folks :thumb: I’ll get the clock out & have a look. Never thought of morrows Ken good shout. I’ll let yous know how I get on.
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

From memory, a new one still available from main dealers, and is about £200 +, but that might have been net of a trade discount. That is an appalling figure.

I came across a 'cure' on here, or on the MCoupe forum a few years ago:

1) take the clock out.
2) fill the inside with something akin to WD40 (the Amazon equivalent was Addit multi lube I think) - that is, fill the inside of the clock with this product! Let it soak, then pour it out and let it dry.
3) put the clock back in.

My experience with this was not brilliant and what I was left with was a clock that still doesn't work but, additionally, it has a greasy film on the inside of the clock face.