Boot weld repairers around North Yorkshire?

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Boot weld repairers around North Yorkshire?

Post by RobTFC »

Hi,

I've just found that my Z3M is in the very first stages of boot weld failure and I want it sorted before it becomes a real problem. I'm located in York and ideally looking for a local garage that can do the repairs.

Looking online, one of the most well-known seems to be Redish Motorsport, but being in Bristol it's a bit far out (although definitely a backup option).

Does anyone know of anywhere more local to the North Yorkshire area? Ideally I'm looking for a place which has done them before and is known to do good work, not necessarily the cheapest.

cheers,

Rob
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Boot weld repairers around North Yorkshire?

Post by Tufarlian »

Ray at Daytona Autos Congleton 01260 297957

Not had cause to use them myself but I saved the name just in case I ever needed it.

They were recommended for fixing Z3 boot floors a few years ago. A Google search suggests they are still in business.

In Cheshire. Not exactly North Yorkshire but certainly closer than Bristol.

Worth a phone call.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Mark
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Cracknells Garage, Summerbridge, Harrogate HG3 7HQ, on 01423 780246 have carried out a number of successful Z3 boot floor repairs in the past, according to posts on this forum a few years ago.

I haven't used them myself, but they are family-owned and highly rated (#5 out of ~130+ garages in North Yorkshire, according to Honest John).

Perhaps worth a call.

Beemer Man
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Post by RobTFC »

Thanks guys,

I've contacted Cracknells and due in for an initial assessment Saturday. In the meantime if anyone has had the work done there I'd love to hear about your experience.
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Post by RobTFC »

Hi,

Just a quick update for anyone who might be interested; had a chat with Alan and co over at Cracknells, really nice guys and they immediately knew what they were looking at. Walked through the Randy Forbes instructions and they've agreed to fit the kit week after next. I'll post the results once done in case anyone else is considering the repair.

Rob
Rocketman

M roadster S50

Post by Rocketman »

That's great news. I've had the Randy Forbes kit for a few years now but never found a place I can trust to do a good job fitting.

I'll be interested to see the results of their work. I also have Redish down as a possibility. I'm a bit further south in St Neots.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I have a Randy Forbes kit if anyone wants to buy it.

£500 delivered in UK.
Pingu
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Post by RobTFC »

For comparison, the kit cost me £600 and I got hammered on import duty/VAT for another £135.

So £500 is a good deal for someone!
Rocketman

M roadster S50

Post by Rocketman »

Rob, out of interest are you going for the full Randy Forbes repair that includes modifying the diff mount to two point to accept the 'two ear' diff cover from..M3 Cover...I think it was ? I believe it includes changing the speedo timing plate which was included in my kit.

Regards Jeremy
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Post by RobTFC »

No, I decided to keep it stock so will get the cross member reinforcement done and have them double up the diff mount with a new one from BMW as it doesn't appear to be damaged in any way (my car has only two suspect welds and no other symptoms so very early).

Pretty much the roadster version of this
http://www.bimmerbrothers.com/z3-m-coup ... nt-part-1/
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Post by RobTFC »

All sorted!

I've just picked up the car; won't get chance to look in proper detail until I get home later but everything looks spot on! I found the guys at Cracknells really knowledgeable and efficient, they even took plenty of photos along the way as requested, I've attached a few here.

Upon closer inspection with diff removed they found the mount had just started to crack

They installed the Randy Forbes kit for the cross member support

And doubled up the diff mount with a new one from BMW

All done

I just need to get the inside of the boot sprayed blue again, which I'll do at the same time as having the stonechips taken out and sills changed.

Fully recommended!
Attachments
IMG-20190822-WA0034.jpg
(146.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG-20190822-WA0023.jpg
(114.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG-20190822-WA0017.jpg
(143.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG-20190822-WA0016.jpg
(145.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG-20190822-WA0004.jpg
(120.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Rocketman

M roadster S50

Post by Rocketman »

RobTFC, the repair looks very well executed. Do you mind me asking what they charged for the fix ? Regards Jeremy
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Post by RobTFC »

Sure - I can't speak for the garage but I'm guessing each car is different depending on severity etc.

For me it just a few quid over £1000 all-in (including VAT/labour/welding consumables etc.). I did nothing other than chuck the guys the Randy Forbes kit, the additional diff mount and a bunch of printouts and links describing what I wanted as well as a little time to walk through it all.

Admittedly the overall job was not cheap especially factoring in the RF kit/mount I had to buy, but to be honest with the car being what it is I was happy to spend the money, knowing I had the right parts and the fix would be done properly using a proven method. My goal was to come away with complete confidence in the car going forward, which I feel I now have. I factored the cost into the offer I made on the car when I spotted those couple of spot welds, fortunately I wasn't a mile off my guess.

I should note that Cracknells did offer to do a simpler repair which sounded like it was to re-weld the damaged parts and add additional welding/support onto the existing setup, which they said they've successfully done before on other Z3s and I think for the smaller engined models this would be fine, but I asked them to go the whole hog due to the fact it was an M and therefore at the highest risk of recurrence.

They've also offered for me to pop by in a few months for a quick look to make sure everything is holding up fine, which would add further reassurance (I also intend on having the area inspected at each service too).
Rocketman

M roadster S50

Post by Rocketman »

That seems a very fair price to me. I totally agree with your thoughts on the car and how it should be repaired and the RF kit does appear to be the most substantial. I have already had the RF kit laying around for a number of years waiting to have it fitted. After seeing the work carried out on your car I think I'll be giving Cracknells a call and booking in my car. Regards Jeremy