S54 M Roadster Census - Please help

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

RIP Neil (NorwegianBlue) who passed away a few days ago. Thanks for your great work on the S54 register.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: S54 M Roadster Census - Please help

Post by Jonttt »

I think the details are now complete via an extract from BMW webETK database.

I've started a seperate thread so that the final details are more easily identifyable:

S54 Full Specification and options by VIN thread

The new thread has been locked as it was not done for discussion but simply to make the facts easily available. Any discussions / comments can be made on this original thread.
Last edited by Jonttt on Mon 07 May, 2012 20:33, edited 2 times in total.
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Superb info.
I notice mine is the only Sapphire black/black,red interior and red hood.
I thought they were all supplied with hard tops but this shows otherwise and mine is one of those :lol:
One error though as it shows they had multifunction steering wheels and mine hasn't.
As my new BMW red hood arrives in the UK this week, at great expense, it does put in perspective the rarity of the car.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Jonttt, big pat on the back for doing this :D :bow :bow
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Cheers guys,

most of it was done whilst running around after my 2 year old as SWMBO has been sunning herself in Spain !

I did not realise how few S54's there are with red hoods (hood colours was one of the most frustrating stats to be incomplete)

I did note the mutli function steering wheel code that is used, I guess they mean the horn lol

Its a pity Neil was not around to see the finished work completing his database but it feels good to finish it for him which was a big part of why I spent a good few hours pulling this together over the weekend. Without his initial efforts I would never have thought to get involved :bow
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

A great tribute to Neil :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Gazza wrote:A great tribute to Neil :wink:
Wowza!!!!

I bet he is dancing a jig in heaven! :) I still can't believe he's gone though :cry:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

WOW....!
Excellent work and a great resource.
Thanks for finishing the job that has eluded many in the past.

A little history....
I know that a few 'forum elders' had attempted to prize this info out of BMW several years ago and were repeatedly fobbed off with "...those records have been archived and it would cost too much to retrieve them."
However, there was a lot of fragmented info hanging around on the forum, so I did a lot of digging around and started up a spreadsheet in an attempt to compile it all.
Fairly soon, I discovered that Neil had had the same idea, so a few years ago we swapped spreadsheets which helped to fill in a lot of the gaps. Neil continued to pursue the 'Holy Grail' and get the list finished, so I just gave him the nod when I found any fresh info that he might not have seen. Then....along came Jonttt and here we are! The Grail has finally been acheived! Neil would be very happy.

So just 3 with red roofs eh? Oh So Cool!

I knew that RED was originally a press car, but I didn't know that she was the first VIN to actually be sold.
Fascinating!
Any idea what S986A SALAPA means?
Jonttt wrote:....and the remaining x4 development cars where never sold to the public ?
Not stirctly true I'm afraid. I test drove the Phoenix 64005 with a view to purchase (from a BMW dealer) shortly before I found RED. It was quite high mileage so obviously had been used on the road. It was a bit of an enigma because it had a manual roof and was first registered before Feb 01, the date that we thought the S54 production first started. Seeing as the history was a bit vague, I didn't put my money down.

Thanks again for your hard work Jonttt. 8-)
I expect to be referring to that document lots in the future.

Cheers!
Alfie
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Interesting re the development cars being sold through dealers.

I think info like this summary adds to the owning experience and the feeling of the rarity of these cars, it can only add to their value in the years to come.

There is more info I can add as it becomes available eg it would be interesting to know which ones have been written off, known mods from standard (mine would have quite a list lol), etc.....
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Alfie wrote:WOW....!

I knew that RED was originally a press car, but I didn't know that she was the first VIN to actually be sold.
Fascinating!
Alfie
So 'Red' is one of a kind...Imola with Imola/Black interior and Red roof 8-)

Si has the only LSB with LSB/Black interior with Blue roof 8-)

Phil has the only Sapphire Black with Imola/Black interior and Red roof 8-)
Gazza

ImageImage
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Great info. Well done Jon!

It's such a shame Neil is not around to see it :( He would have loved this.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Gazza wrote:So 'Red' is one of a kind...Imola with Imola/Black interior and Red roof 8-)
Yep....
That's one of my better chat-up lines.
:lol:

A.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Mine is one of a kind too, the only Estoril with Blue/Black interior, Blue hood, Side airbags, top tint screen and Factory supplied Hardtop 8-)
Gazza

ImageImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Excellent data. What happened after car LB64037 (Built 25/09/2001)? There was a gap before production restarted on 25/10/2001 with car LB64100.

It would also be nice to see the vehicles that are on the other register, so we can see the gaps. No need to publish names, etc. - a "flag" is all that is required.

Is it worth doing a similar exercise for the UK registered Z1s?
Pingu
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

We don't know. No obvious logic to it and there was no real change to the production pattern.
pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by pete59 »

Iam still looking for s54 oxford green,m/legends looking too,they seem to think there maybe just two left on road,but there are possably a few more s50s i am ready to strike when one comes up.
Adrian77

Not specified

Post by Adrian77 »

Does anyone know how many S54 M Roadsters are still in existence? There must have been a fair few lost to accidents and other terminal causes over the past decade.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I've colour coded the summary sheet to make it easier to spot colours :D

So if you have already downloaded the PDF may be worth you doing it again ;-)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Has anyone seen or know where the LSB S54s are?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Si has one of them ;-)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

As an update the owner of the next to last car has been in touch.

He was told that the special code on the options list was because it was a BMW prepared show car before being sold on through the BMW network.

I'm not sure what this means in practice or why BMW would produce a show car at the end of the production run but it makes as much sense as anything. It may even be they intended to retain it and something changed.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Jonttt wrote:Si has one of them ;-)
I do :D
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

John,

A little more detail for your spreadsheet, the following Dummy SALAPA codes are shown as having the following descriptions: -

S986A - Deadline Check

S991A - Pre-Series Steering

S995A - Change Ban

Full list below

BMW SA Option Codes

HTH
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Gazza wrote:
Alfie wrote:WOW....!

Fascinating!
Alfie
So 'Red' is one of a kind...Imola with Imola/Black interior and Red roof 8-)

Si has the only LSB with LSB/Black interior with Blue roof 8-)

Phil has the only Sapphire Black with Imola/Black interior and Red roof 8-)
And I'm the only one with titanium silver with imola/black interior and a red roof :)

Thats all the red roofs!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Adrian77 wrote:Does anyone know how many S54 M Roadsters are still in existence? There must have been a fair few lost to accidents and other terminal causes over the past decade.
This would be very interesting, could we somehow find out how many are still being taxed/MOT'd? I remember one forum member with a sapphire black & Imola/black interior admitted to writing it off so thats 72 on the road at most!

Failing the above perhaps we could stockpile all the cars we know are still about? e.g. VIN*** Current forum member car, VIN*** last sighted for sale on PH 12/03/12 (you get the idea)
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Brian H wrote:John,

A little more detail for your spreadsheet, the following Dummy SALAPA codes are shown as having the following descriptions: -

S986A - Deadline Check

S991A - Pre-Series Steering

S995A - Change Ban

Full list below

BMW SA Option Codes

HTH
Brian, thats great info and completes the codes nicely.

S991A has two definitions "co-ordination on pre series" and "Pre series Steering". The first one makes perfect sense as it applies to all 6 development cars.

S986A "dealine check" again makes perfect sense as it applies to the 3 original press cars. I guess as BMW know these are the cars which be photograped the most and shown in every car publication around the world they want to make extra sure the panel lines are spot on. Alfie's should have perfect panel gaps :D

S995A "change ban" applies to the next to last car made and makes sense to what the owner was told re this being a show car ie not allowing anyone to change the spec. It makes me thing even more that BMW had something in mind for this car but ultimately it got sold to the public through the dealer network.

I have updated the Summary sheet to reflect these new descriptions.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

shantybeater wrote:
Adrian77 wrote:Does anyone know how many S54 M Roadsters are still in existence? There must have been a fair few lost to accidents and other terminal causes over the past decade.
This would be very interesting, could we somehow find out how many are still being taxed/MOT'd? I remember one forum member with a sapphire black & Imola/black interior admitted to writing it off so thats 72 on the road at most!

Failing the above perhaps we could stockpile all the cars we know are still about? e.g. VIN*** Current forum member car, VIN*** last sighted for sale on PH 12/03/12 (you get the idea)
I am happy to add as much detail to the summary as people want. I don't want to add forum names without people permission so if people think its a good idea they can PM me the following details and I will add them:

VIN
Forum Name
Date purchased
Current Mileage (to nearest 1,000)

I will also try to log cars adertised for sale. Sometimes this will be easy to narrow down to VIN by the options fitted and colours but sometimes (such as the currently advertised Estoril one) its could be one of several cars.

I think its worth recording mileage as the coupe guys have just had an example of an ex forum car being clocked (at least 20k knocked off it). I think as more cars head towards 100k and above the temptation for clocking gets greater as an S54 with sub 80k miles is worth a lot more than one with >100k miles in most buyers minds.

If people think its not a good idea then don't give me the info ;-)

Re how many are still on the road if anyone knows a way of accessing a database legally with VINS (MOT records, inurance etc....) then I don't mind spending the time plugging details in. Would need to find a way of accounting for SORNED cars as well though.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Jonttt wrote: I am happy to add as much detail to the summary as people want. I don't want to add forum names without people permission so if people think its a good idea they can PM me the following details and I will add them:

VIN
Forum Name
Date purchased
Current Mileage (to nearest 1,000)

I think its worth recording mileage as the coupe guys have just had an example of an ex forum car being clocked (at least 20k knocked off it). I think as more cars head towards 100k and above the temptation for clocking gets greater as an S54 with sub 80k miles is worth a lot more than one with >100k miles in most buyers minds.

If people think its not a good idea then don't give me the info ;-)
I think the above info is a great idea, what I would suggest is that the Details provided are kept private by the Admin Team, such as the post re 'opening a locked boot without a key'. Details could then be supplied to members on request.
Gazza

ImageImage
xtLSport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by xtLSport »

Hi guys I have an S54 m Coupe with 86k miles (140.000km) on the clock, but left hand drive in switzerland!
vin number LJ90372, one of the very last, production 24/04/2002 and first registration 24/07/2002
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

So jontt, how many have you traced?

Got stopped in the street the other day by someone admiring my Z3M. He was very keen on buying one - told him mine was an S54 and not for sale! - think he will be after one himself.

Feel good about having a rare car but very interested to hear how many are likely to be out and about.

David
2001 Z3M S54 LB64010 #10/73
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Too many 0's in your Sig Gooseacre ;)
Gazza

ImageImage
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Don't know whether to be impressed for spotting that or concerned that trainspotters have infiltrated the forum!
:lol:
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Fixed!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Us S54 owners notice things like that :D
Gazza

ImageImage
lisasinden

M roadster S54

Post by lisasinden »

hi

For your database of BMW Z3M S54.

I have a 2002 BMW Z3M S54.
Reg : G3 LAS (personal)
purchased : 18/04/2012
Vin -LB64125
Estoril Blue (335)
Estoril blue/ Black
Build Date : Mar 2002
Mileage - 63850

Love the car to bits, never selling .lol. :lol:
lisasinden

M roadster S54

Re:

Post by lisasinden »

[hi
Have already registered this one. New reg is G3 LAS.....

regards
lisa

quote="Jonttt"]Neil, another one for you to check with the register

thread HERE

Got the reg off photos : HK02HEL (nice!)

spec as per advert:

plus

- side airbags
- cruise
- headlight washers[/quote]
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Hi All,

Does anyone have a copy of the S54 M Roadster census please.

It is for a friend of mine who is the current owner of Neil's (NorwegianBlue) Phoenix S54. The links to the spreadsheet on here are broken.

Cheers
fruitbat

M roadster S54

Post by fruitbat »

Hi,
Did you find a copy of the census?
I have a copy here and also own one of the Phoenix S54's, PM for census details.
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

@fruitbat you are a star PM Sent
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I’ve not been on here for a looooooooooong time so did not realise links where not working………try this ;-)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wd3lyxezd3pg ... LLh0a?dl=0
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Thanks Jonttt it's a useful resource for new and old owners alike :D
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

If anyone is still maintaining the register, or just for general interest of S54 owners No. 53 of 73 the car originally owned by NorwegianBlue, is making it's way to Australia via the Netherlands to start a new life in the sun.
Carumba

M roadster S54

Post by Carumba »

Hi it’s Carumba here and am the new owner of Norwegian Blue’s 2002 Phoenix yellow S54 purchased in Yorkshire in April 2022. It is presently registered in the Netherlands and will be headed down under to Australia in a couple of years. Since owning her I have had much work done to this little gem and is now ready for lots of summer drives. She has done almost all her mileage in the first 12 years (95,000 miles) up to 2014 and has now just tipped 100,000. Does anyone know the history of the usage whilst owned by Norwegian Blue? I believe he was the original owner until at least 2012. I have all the information about the car from 2015. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

If you send me a PM I may be able to help.
Starburner

M roadster S54

Post by Starburner »

It would be great to know how many left and what mileage and condition - I noted that there are 22 licensed and 42 SORN. So 11 cars down ?

Let us know which car you own VIN, colour l, condition and how many miles to date
Ruebdoo

M roadster S54

Post by Ruebdoo »

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum and have a hunch I might have one of the development cars.

Its still only done 14k miles, is Phoenix yellow, and is chassis LB64003.

I hope this helps.

Cheers