Undercoats onpainted plastic?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
estocks

Not specified

Undercoats onpainted plastic?

Post by estocks »

I have a small piece of plastic trim missing (About 2 inches by 1 inches). I want to replace it but the part I found is painted black and probably laquered. The car is dark green. Do I need to undercoat in a grey or green colour undercoat to get a good colour match and finish?
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Black or dark green for undercoat...grey makes finish too light!!!
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Just to confirm, I can simply rub down the existing laquer and paint over it?

Thanks.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Only lightly with “scotchbrite” to put a key on the surface, or you will need a paint with a additive to stick to the plastic
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

*Tips hat*

Much obliged.