Center console

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Center console

Post by Cloz »

HI,
My next project is to change my central console. Now my console is beige and the trims are wooden style. First I have bought black trims. I was about to change the wooden trims when I saw cheap black console yesterday on eBay. My question....is it easier to put in place all the black trims on the black console before changing the beige one? This way I would remove the hole console and replace it by the black one.
Thank you,

C
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Center console

Post by mnbrennan »

It's certainly a bit of a bugger to get the old one out but manageable

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

You need to remove the seats to get the centre console out - not much work... Maybe an hour to do the lot if you've never done it before.. There is a thread in the knowledge base telling you how to remove your entire interior.. Hopefully that helps?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

bertiejaffa wrote:You need to remove the seats to get the centre console out
:puzzle:
I do not understand why I need to remove both seats. I must remove them or it si easier to do the job???????
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... correction - the seats do not need removing. The two screws at the very rear of the console can be accessed by moving the seat forward and getting at them from behind the seat back with a screw driver. The rest is fairly straight forward. If you haven't done this before, it will help to read up so you know where all the fixing points are, and how to un-clip the climate control unit without effort.
Removing the gearshift knob is sometimes tricky, but a good pull will get it off the shaft. Don't "twist" it ! It has a key way which locks into the top of the shaft to prevent it turning under normal use. The hand brake lever will need to be pulled up as far as you possibly can lift it to allow the console to lift over it at the back end.... And there is a fixing screw under the ashtray - so remove it to get to that screw. There are also 2 screws under the center air vent which can only be seen once the head unit is removed, and you get down low and look upwards into that aperture. It will make life easier if you remove the trim under the steering wheel area and the glove box, but this is not essential. The 2 screws - L&R holding the climate control unit need just be loosened and the unit pushed back into the dash so it "hinges" at the lower clipped points.. then lift it backwards and upwards to disengage the 3 tab clips from their housings. Dials / gauges / switches can be disconnected by reaching under the console from the side, the gearshift aperture and if needed from the top through the head unit slot. Window switches require pushing upwards and out from below - straightforward stuff really........ Good luck ! :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cloz wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:You need to remove the seats to get the centre console out
:puzzle:
I do not understand why I need to remove both seats. I must remove them or it si easier to do the job???????
I find it easier - its only 4 bolts (just be sure to keep your keys away from the ignition after you disconnect the seat plugs otherwise you trigger your airbag light - once the seats are back in and connected it will be fine) but as Barry said you can work around them

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=38747
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=15979
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Thank you guys,
Really appreciate :D