A painting question and a painting question!

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

A painting question and a painting question!

Post by Warrior »

I, or rather my Z3 has a very small 2mm diameter blister in the paintwork on the edge of the fuel filler bodywork.

I know I can buy a touch up kit and sort in 5 minutes but am considering whether it's worth getting one of the dinks and dents guys out to do this, a couple of minor chips on the bonnet and some lacquer off of the lower front spoiler.

Cosmetically she looks great and any casual observer wouldn't see what I see when washing her but how good is paint matching these days, how invasive is the process and what are typical costs?

On another matter i'm working with a guy on a non motoring project, a former architect who's passion is painting. Anything from modern art to buildings and everything in between including cars so i've asked him to do one of my Z3 with a view to possibly having a range for sale in due course.

Being an architect he has an eye for detail and is equally happy producing a graphic illustration of a set of Mustang speedo dials, the bonnet curves of a Corvette or a retro interpretation of a 50's Hotrod.

I know you can get comic balloon wheel illustrations, flat images etc., but is there anything you'd like to see?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: A painting question and a painting question!

Post by Gazza »

Re the first question - my brother had a small ding fixed by a mobile paint repair which cost £250.

A friend had the bonnet stripped and painted on his Nissan Patrol for £250 at a local paint shop.

It appears that you need a few paint fixes so I would contact a paint shop.

Re the 2nd question - I have one of these viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45504 which is great quality and I think worth the price £35 (mine was a birthday gift), so dependent on pricing as to whether your friends items will sell. If you want to post pics then please use 'The Stock Exchange' section.
Warrior wrote: Thu 29 Mar, 2018 10:39 Being an architect he has an eye for detail and is equally happy producing a graphic illustration of a set of Mustang speedo dials, the bonnet curves of a Corvette or a retro interpretation of a 50's Hotrod.
I see what you did there :D , being an owner of a few Mustangs and former owner of a Corvette and a 1934 Ford Coupe Hot Rod 8-)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: A painting question and a painting question!

Post by Warrior »

Body shop sounds extreme as I reckon i've got about a square inch of repairs to do and 98% of that is barely noticeable and on the spoiler. Going for an MOT next weekend and the garage has sister company that does bodywork so will ask them for an idea of price.

Completely random choice of Mustang and Corvette, honest! I have a book with his work in but hadn't got it to hand so guessed from memory. Turns out one's a Chevy and the other a VW Split Screen camper lol....

Completely different proposition to the one's on your link. Most of his car stuff has a retro look and an artistic 'quirk', the VW for example is painted as a reflection in one of the old style domed hubcaps.

Seeing him tomorrow so will see where we go.