My new Zed was Eddie Irvines & some questions

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Kilsh
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

My new Zed was Eddie Irvines & some questions

Post by Kilsh »

Hi, we picked up the car yesterday. The gentleman I bought it from dropped into conversation the fact that it was rumoured to once belong to Eddie Irvine and his signature was inside the service book. He said that he had never been able to prove it. Half an hour on the net when we got home proved it for us www.Classic-auctions.co.uk on the 16 April 1999 had the full story, check it out. In brief he had it from new when he was driving for Ferrari and living Modena, his employers didn't like him taking it to work so they gave him a Spyder and he took the hint and sold it, it was then imported by Ian Harrison of Accrington and I am going to call him to see if I can get a copy of the letter of authentication which existed at the time of auction. The reg at that time was H941 JLB and the VIN is WBABA91060AL05048, if anyone has a chronicle could they check it out for me please? Or better still does anyone have a copy for sale? The body work is very good and the interior is OK but needs some work especially on the nubuck and dash leather, the camo is very good however.

Now for some questions and advice if anyone can help. Firstly I have some photos to post but keep being told that the file size is too big despite zipping them, its probably just my poor PC skills.

In terms of the car, there is slight wear on the hood over part of the cage mechanism where it folds, has anyone ever had any invisible repairs done?

The Leather needs attention as I said, I have followed some of the threads on Chrissy Wahls products and the great results some of you have had, how are the restored parts standing up to use after treatment?

The centre console, handbrake/gear gaiters are very bad with some small holes does anyone have a source for replacements?

Any advice most appreciated

Kilsh :D :D
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Welcome to the forum kilsh. The zed sounds like it's got a fantastic history 8-)

I can't help with the z1 queries but for photo posting it's best to get a Photobucket (or similar) account, upload photos to it and post links to them on here. There are instructions on how to do this here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7658
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Hi Kilsh
Congratulations on you purchase, I'm sure it will make you very happy. My Z1 is the first car I've had that my wife has said "you can't sell it, I like it".
Regarding the hood: I had a couple of wear areas, where the hood folds. I cut a circle of material from an old seat belt (black), lightly singed the edges in a flame to stop fraying and glued it on the inside of the hood with evostick. It's very tough and you can hardly see it.
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Re: My new Zed was Eddie Irvines & some questions

Post by Stoertie »

Kilsh wrote:

In terms of the car, there is slight wear on the hood over part of the cage mechanism where it folds, has anyone ever had any invisible repairs done?

The centre console, handbrake/gear gaiters are very bad with some small holes does anyone have a source for replacements?
Hi Kilsh,

for the soft top problem, there is a repair kit avalible from the BMW dealer...

The parts-no. is: 81 22 9 407 536 ( ~ 30.- Euro )

But you also can visit a car saddler... normally they have a rest of the roof fabric for little money. ;)

For fixing the fabric to the roof you just have to take a adhesive that doesn't will stay flexible. (In germany for example there is an adhesives named Pattex from Henkel)

I think you have an 0300 interieur, haven't you? To repair a hole in nubuck is very complicated and it's nearly impossible to do it in that way, that you will see nothing afterwards. But please ask Chrissy, I think she has a contact to a guy in Germany, who is making these center consoles for a low price... :-)

Regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Maxaluna

blank.gif

Post by Maxaluna »

IM surprised to hear that a red Z1 belonged to Eddie Irvine. As I know for sure he had a Black Z1 in Milan. This appeared in his own video of his career in 1999 when he was driving for Ferrari. The camera films inside the car many times and you can clearly see it is a black with grey alcantara seats.

Not to say that BMW didnt give him a red one though!
M A X A L U N A
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Maxaluna wrote:...with grey alcantara seats.
Hi Maxa,

there is no alcantara inside the Z1. only dark grey (nearly black) nubuck-leather.

Alcantara is no leather... it's "only" a synthetic cloth. ;)

Best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Kilsh
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Kilsh »

Hi Maxa
Not sure why you think my car is red as you can see it is black. Thanks for your comments re Eddie Irvine video.
Kilsh

ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Re: My new Zed was Eddie Irvines & some questions

Post by ChrisS »

Ten years since I bought this car from Kilsh and I've only just seen this post. I think he must have repaired or replaced the centre console nubuck and the seat bolsters haven't got any worse during my ten year tenure. The repair I had done to the hood isn't invisible but does 'discourage' the fabric from folding itself into the hood frame. The service records show I've used the car more pee year than any previous owner and it's going better than ever since my trip to Scotland. Over the winter I've got to find a permanent solution to the wing and lower side panel cracks. Ten years ago, I suspect no-one saw this issue coming.