Z3 Exhaust, wrong one?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ramrod

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 Exhaust, wrong one?

Post by Ramrod »

Hi guys, I have a 2000 Z3 3.0 Roadster and decided to upgrade the exhaust for a performance one, problem is I ordered one from the local supplier and I ended up with one where it joins the centre via two pipes as opose to the single pipe I have. I have noticed that on the BMW oem parts site the 2.8 has a single pipe, and the 3.0 shows a single on the full system page but twin on the back box page.... I am sooooo confused! Any help is much appreciated
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

RealOEM/BMWFans can be a bit interesting as some of the diagrams are reused between vehicles, so what is pictured may not be what thing actually looks like, however...

For a 3.0 Z3, I can see two diagrams of the front section of the exhaust - the one that would appear to be the right one is the one with two pipes leading to the back box, as the part number for it is given on that page - on the other one, only the part number for a torx bolt is given. This is the diagram:

Catalytic converter/front silencer - BMW parts catalog

There is only one back box shown and it also shows two pipes entering:

Exhaust system, rear - BMW parts catalog

Now the big questionmark is, are both of these diagrams wrong? Anyone with a 3.0 care to comment? If they do have two pipes, then we have a bit of a mystery on our hands.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Taz-Devil

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Taz-Devil »

there is 2 which fit the over one 18 30 7 501 661 fits the 2.8 and the 3.0i
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... fg=05&hl=3
one has single pipe at back one has double
2.8 facelift
M3 Ragtop
cbr1100xxx
zxr750 h1
------------------------------
if you smell the rubber your doing it right
Ramrod

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ramrod »

Thanks guys, so if there's an option that fits both would a 2.8 stainless system fit?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

systems

Post by Mike Fishwick »

As far as I know, no-one makes a full system for the post-Oct 98 Z3, which is all welded. All you can get are extra-noisey rear silencers.

Most 3 litre models have two straight pipes and cats from the downpipes to the rear silencer, so basically you have been provided with the wrong silencer.

But - just to add confusion to the matter, some 3 litre models were fitted with the same exhaust system as a 2.8, the twin pipes joining together after the cats into a single 65 mm pipe to the rear silencer. These must have been very early cars, and were probably not imported to the UK.

If you check the BMW parts list for a 2.8 (post Oct 1998) click on the front system, and then select Parts Information and then Parts Use, you will see that it is listed for both the 2.8 and 3 litre models, but with no 'From' or 'Up to' information given.

With this in mind, and the fact that both engines use the same exhaust downpipes, I'm going to buy a new 3 litre system later this year for my 2.8, in the interests of reduced noise levels (I can then sell my Eisenmann silencer) no front silencer (now rusted inside, and rattling well) and finally sounding like a six-cylinder engine.
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 Exhaust, wrong one?

Post by Gareth 161 »

Possibly reviving an old thread but just came across this one in my search for a stainless exhaust for my 2000 3.0 z3 which also has 2 pipes which seem to go into one and then a single pipe to the rear box. Have not measured it yet but looks as if it could be 65mm.
Like the op, I too am a bit confused as to what should be on the car but presumably I can just replace the back box for stainless and just join it into the system where the single pipe is?
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

I would suggest that the best thing to do is go to a firm that will make one up on site and fit it like LongLife.
I purchased a second hand back box from a chap that takes Zed 3s bits for parts but it was completely different ? so I would say each car is not the same.
If getting one made up be sure of what they are selling you as my first LongLife was so loud I had a buzz in my ears all the time and my local branch would only change it if I paid so I went to there head office in Bridport and they made a replacement making some noise but not excessive FOC and was very impressed with their service
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks for the info Geoff and possibly there are lots of variations in the pipe set ups from new.
As you suggest, will visit a local fabricator and see what they can come up with.
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Hi Gareth
I think that that is the best thing to do, at least you know that it will fit, just make sure about the sound first.
Geoff