BMW and INPA 5.0.2 Success

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
estocks

Not specified

BMW and INPA 5.0.2 Success

Post by estocks »

Here is my write up for communicating with my BMW using cheap USB interfaces.

Background:
The protocol
BMW uses a KKL system. The K line is a bi-directional serial bus with a 10.4kbaud data rate. L line is some sort of RTS/DTS line that wakes up the modules on older cars. As such the BMW is not dierctly compatible with RS232, either in baud or signalling levels, and could damage your PC's RS232 port if directly connected.

With the ignition on, the L Line is not needed, since the modules are already awake.

It's called the KKL since there are 2 K lines. One for the engine and Gearbox, the other for everything else.

The car

The car in this case is a 1999 and has both the 20 pin and 16 pin OBD diagnostics.

The pinouts
The 16 pin
4 GND
5 GND
7 K line (1)(D_TXD2)
8 K Line (2)(D_TXD1)
15 L Line (Not fitted)
16 12V

The 20 Pin
1 Engine rotation speed
2 OBD2 Diagnostic
7 Oil service and inspection reset
14 12V
15 L Line
16 IGN 12V
17 K line (2) (D_TXD2)
18 Programming line (PGSP) (not fitted)
19 GND
20 K line (1) (D_TXD1)

Which connector do you need?

If you want to talk to the engine and gearbox you only need the 12V, GND and K line found on the 16 pin connector. If you want the ABS, Airbag or anything else, you need the 12V, GND, and both K lines found on the round connector. Handily both K lines can be shorted to get a simple OBD2 K USB adaptor to work.

[For those of you with pin 7 & 8 fitted on your 16 pin OBDII socket, the pins can be shorted in your USB adaptor and you don't need the 20 pin connector. For those of you without pin 8 fitted, pin 25 on the socket X11175 (right instrument cluster connector) carries a White/Violet wire with D_TXD1 and you can add the additional wire to your OBDII port.]

The adaptors
I bought a £12 USB OBD2 adaptor (FTDI prolific based is mandatory and also common). [You don't want the CAN (CANBUS) version for this age of car, you want a KL or KKL version (pin 7 on the 16 pin socket will be populated).]

Since you will probably want the full suite of modules I N P A software offers, you need a £6 BMW to OBD2 adaptor. This has a wire inside that shorts pins 17 and 20, and connects them to 7.
Here you can see Power and GND (4, 5, 16) are populated and pin 7 (K) pin 15 (L).
So the USB adaptor does the conversion to OBD2 KL protocol. The 16 to 20 pin connects 17 and 20 together and feeds them into the OBD2 convertor.

The software.

EDIABAS=The communication layer to the car
INPA=Module interface
NCSExpert=Programming/flashingsoftware/USB support (?)

1) Create a system restore point and backup your registry.

2) Use the Worlds Most Resiliant torrent site to download INPA.iso. It is 326MB and the only file matching that word at the time of writing.

3) Extract the iso using winrar to a folder called INPA_CD. Place it on C:\.
Open the folder C:\INPA_CD\Programminstallation and run setup.
Click through all the options, install INPA, EDIBAS and NCSExpert as a minimum (I left the install options as default Full Installation). When prompted, tell it you are using OBD and tick the USB to Serial box. Make sure you keep the add desktop icons ticked.

4) Complete the installation and go to C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD. Open USB-OBD.pdf and follow the instructions to change the latency timer from 16ms to 1ms. Force the USB/serial adaptor to COM1.

5) Run OBDSetup.exe. Do not close the DOS box yet. If it says "Warning, some values do not match, malfunction can occur" then the registry needs to be hand edited until those values match. It's DWORD values like buffer sizes and FIFO settings. Run OBDSetup again to verify all the warnings have gone away. Reboot if you have changed the registry.

6) [url=hXXp://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm]Add the Environment variable[/url]C:\EDIABAS\BIN to your system.

7) Open the file OBD.ini from C:\EDIABAS\BIN add in the UBAT item manually. Check the Hardware=USB

Code: Select all

[OBD]
Port=Com1
Hardware=USB
RETRY=ON
UBAT=OFF
Copy the file OBD.ini from C:\EDIABAS\BIN to C:\Windows

You have now installed the EDIBAS communication handler, configured all of it's FIFO settings, and installed the INPA "whitescreen" framework.

8) Now you need to install the guts of INPA.
Open C:\INPA_CD\Referenz\INSTALL and run Installprog.exe. Chose the English language and install BMW Group Rectification programs UK. Select Upgrade or prefereably Complete when possible. Complete and exit the installation program.

Now when you run INPA from the desktop icon you should see INPA and EDIABAS load, and along the bottom of INPA you can select your car and the modules therein.

9)Wah! It's not working?
If you get EDIABAS initialising errors you need to check the registry DWORDS above, and the USB/Serial latency timer.
If you get INPA IFH-0018 INITIALIZATION ERROR then check the com port.
Download a file called INPA_FAQ for detailed error code help.
Use Teraterm to open COM1 at 9600 baud to see if you can echo characters to prove you are connected to the car.
Last edited by estocks on Sun 11 Apr, 2010 17:43, edited 5 times in total.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Nice writeup I will give this a go, I have just got the INPA.iso :wink: so just need the simple OBDII cables.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Got some live data from my engine using this software. There is a metric for each cylinder called LU, and it's rated in %. Three alternate cylinders are reading 1.5%, and the other three 1% (centre of bar chart=OK).

Any ideas what that measurement could be? I'll try and post a pic if I can capture it.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

Nice write up... I'm sure many will find it useful.

One thing though... the L line is more than just a wake up line - for some cars it's need is vital.

If you have a 1999 or earlier Z3M they do not have the 16 pin OBDII connector fitted and the only way to communicate is through the 20 pin port. There may be other cars in the Z3 range which also do not have the 16-pin OBDII port and cannot use this interface to it's full potential. As a quick check, if you look at the port under the bonnet you will see that pin 15 is populated. In this case you have to use an ADS interface to communicate with the car. The KKL interface idea here does not work properly since you need to communicate with some modules via the L line.

Also, an ADS interface will only work via a true RS232 serial port.
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Interesting, where did you find out that the L line is anything other than a wake-up line? I think that breaks the ISO 9141-2 specification.
K-line bidirectional for communication
L-line (optional) unidirectional for waking up the ECU
Idle signal levels are high
LinkAnd that ties in with this E46fanatics post.
Often times ODBII is mentioned in discussions along with the ADS interface module. Although the two modules do similar things, they are completely separate and should not be mixed together. The ADS interface has the ability to switch control modules in the car on when they are off. But if the car is switched on and running, all the control modules are on and accessible by the ODBII interface module.
Link
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

Personal experience... With my M Roadster I could not communicate with modules such as the Instrument Cluster using OBDII through the 20 pin port irrespective of the status of the ignition etc when testing. Looking at the EWS for the car it looks like most modules are connected to pins 17 & 20 which are the K lines. But the Instrument Cluster and ZKE Body Electronics modules are connected to pin 15 which is the L Line.

If the L Line was just a wake up line I would have expected a secondary connection to these modules for data exchange.

Maybe I'm wrong about this and somebody can enlighten me but for the moment it kind of makes sense to me. Also don't forget that cars without the 16 pin port in the interior are not OBDII anyway so would not necessarily adhere to the standard.
estocks wrote:Interesting, where did you find out that the L line is anything other than a wake-up line? I think that breaks the ISO 9141-2 specification.
K-line bidirectional for communication
L-line (optional) unidirectional for waking up the ECU
Idle signal levels are high
LinkAnd that ties in with this E46fanatics post.
Often times ODBII is mentioned in discussions along with the ADS interface module. Although the two modules do similar things, they are completely separate and should not be mixed together. The ADS interface has the ability to switch control modules in the car on when they are off. But if the car is switched on and running, all the control modules are on and accessible by the ODBII interface module.
Link
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

zederbee wrote:Personal experience... With my M Roadster I could not communicate with modules such as the Instrument Cluster using OBDII through the 20 pin port irrespective of the status of the ignition etc when testing. Looking at the EWS for the car it looks like most modules are connected to pins 17 & 20 which are the K lines. But the Instrument Cluster and ZKE Body Electronics modules are connected to pin 15 which is the L Line.

If the L Line was just a wake up line I would have expected a secondary connection to these modules for data exchange.
I had a quick look at thiswiring WDS for the 2000 Z3M from hereand it seems to be the same as all other KKL BMWs in that the KOMBI and ZKE are connected to the pin 20 K line, as shown in this wiring diagram extract. Could be wrong though.
zederbee wrote:Maybe I'm wrong about this and somebody can enlighten me but for the moment it kind of makes sense to me. Also don't forget that cars without the 16 pin port in the interior are not OBDII anyway so would not necessarily adhere to the standard.
All cars built for the US after 1996 were legally obliged to be OBD2 compilant for the emissions only, as in my first post. This includes the Z3. The 1994 era E36 is a bit of a mystery to me, since I don't have one to experiment on. It was OBD1 compliant, and pretty basic in the number of "smart" modules anway.

The OBD standard for OBD1 didn't define the connector, and OBD2 did, hence the mixed use of connectors as they were forced to install OBD2 for US emmisions. The protocol was ISO 9141 KKL until they went to CAN bus in the latest cars.
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

Interesting. It looks like things were changed after 1999. My diagram for the M Roadster is different.

As you can see the connections are different for the M Roadster - pin 15 is the L line on the under bonnet connector. Maybe the American cars were different - after all they had the S52 engine and not the S50 so maybe BMW had different wiring schemes as well. From what I have learned through talking to other owners of E36 around '96 vintage and late 90's M Roadsters, they seem to share a lot in common regarding the diagnostics. It's almost as though the M Roadster did not meet the OBDII requirements of the US until 2000.

Interesting - would be good to get to the bottom of this conundrum.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I'm seeing a different drawing but the same schematic. Diagnostic pin X6002.20 is connected to the ZKE on pin X74.11 and also to the KOMBI on pin X16.12.
Ozi7351

BMW other

BMW and INPA 5.0.2

Post by Ozi7351 »

I have tried your install suggestions and also have tried 3 earlier versions and come up with...

INPA V4.47
When selecting Old models eg E38
"Error compiling script file"

INPA V 5.02 (Ex ) E38
SYS-005 OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND Programme will be stopped

The version from a famous torent site has only E70 and no options to select other models any ideas ?

Previously I have used BMW Scanner 1.3.6 with sucess
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

The answer is in the question
INPA V4.47
"Error compiling script file"

INPA V 5.02 (Ex ) E38
SYS-005 OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND Programme will be stopped
Looks like installing an old version over a new one has broken some script lookups.

The version from a famous torent site has only E70 and no options to select other models any ideas ?
I disagree. The V5.0.2 hasthese options on the main screen

And E38 if you press shift+F9
(Note I installed the USA version because I needed to talk to a US spec DME, installing the UK version as described above in the first post should have the UK cars covered.)
triumphted

Z3 roadster 2.8

INPA / Carsoft

Post by triumphted »

Estocks

I have followed this thread with interest, if not a little confusion.

The confusion is entirely due to my lack of knowledge surrounding computers and the world of wiring and electronics you guys clearly have a talent in.

A question if you don't mind:

I have seen Carsoft used with success although not all modules will communicate. Could you use INPA with the same OBD leads. The ones i have seen run comp to obdll then convert to round pin connector.

I was a bit confused around the wiring within the connector. The one i saw was running through an RS232 port as well.

Sorry for the confused questions but it has bugged me since reading the post.
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

estocks wrote:I'm seeing a different drawing but the same schematic. Diagnostic pin X6002.20 is connected to the ZKE on pin X74.11 and also to the KOMBI on pin X16.12.
Done a bit more digging around with a protocol analyser and the L line is a definite requirement for communication. Even with the engine running the line is needed to establish communication with some modules. The main difference is that the K lines are bi-directional but the L line is unidirectional and does generate the Init signal for some modules to establish communication.

Interestingly it's part of both the ISO1941-2 and ISO14230-4 standards.

The other interesting thing to note is that the M Roadster did not have the 16 pin OBDII connector fitted until 2000 so it's not truly compliant it seems.

Upshot... for cars without the 16 pin OBDII connector you have to use an ADS interface.
estocks

Not specified

Re: INPA / Carsoft

Post by estocks »

triumphted wrote:I have seen Carsoft used with success although not all modules will communicate. Could you use INPA with the same OBD leads. The ones i have seen run comp to obdll then convert to round pin connector.
If you have an RS232 serial port you would have to try it to be sure. The reason why is the configuration step 3) I tick the USB-serial mode. You would leave that unticked. I don't have the cables to test it.

Electrically there is no reason it should not work if the 'Carsoft adaptor' is KKL compliant [eg PA Soft BMWScaner uses a modifed adaptor driver and security chip for copy protection], but I don't have a serial port and serial cables to test it with.
zederbee wrote:
estocks wrote:I'm seeing a different drawing but the same schematic. Diagnostic pin X6002.20 is connected to the ZKE on pin X74.11 and also to the KOMBI on pin X16.12.
Done a bit more digging around with a protocol analyser and the L line is a definite requirement for communication. Even with the engine running the line is needed to establish communication with some modules. The main difference is that the K lines are bi-directional but the L line is unidirectional and does generate the Init signal for some modules to establish communication.

Interestingly it's part of both the ISO1941-2 and ISO14230-4 standards.

The other interesting thing to note is that the M Roadster did not have the 16 pin OBDII connector fitted until 2000 so it's not truly compliant it seems.

Upshot... for cars without the 16 pin OBDII connector you have to use an ADS interface.
A unique vehicle! The USB-OBD adaptor in the original does support the L line, in that it's wired up to something inside the 16 pin adaptor, but wether it can activate modules I don't know.
I haven't read the ISO1941-2 spec to find out how modules are addressed to talk/listen over the L Line.

My point has been that your car is ISO1941-2 KKL compliant at the 20 pin connector, the same as all the other BMWs, you have the same KKL connections at the 20 pin as everyone else.

I guess your experience shows the L line on the USB-OBD adaptor you owned didn't work, and you needed the ADS connector.
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

estocks wrote:
My point has been that your car is ISO1941-2 KKL compliant at the 20 pin connector, the same as all the other BMWs, you have the same KKL connections at the 20 pin as everyone else.

I guess your experience shows the L line on the USB-OBD adaptor you owned didn't work, and you needed the ADS connector.
I thought the same except cars with the OBDII port do not have pin 15 populated on the 20 pin interface which is the L line. Actually I'm not even sure if it is available on the 16 pin port come to think of it. As far as I can tell though, cars which do have pin 15 populated seem to be M Roadsters pre 2000 (and coupe models I assume) as well as E36 cars around the 1997-98 vintage. What is interesting is that you mention in your first post that whilst you do not have the L line on your OBDii port, it is present on your 20 pin port which surprises me somewhat.

You're right in that problem for cars which require the L Line is that the USB or even RS232 based KKL interfaces seen on eBay and the like just don't communicate with the L Line. However what is interesting is that my Carsoft Interface when running under INPA also does not communicate through the L line despite the fact that it can see all modules when running Carsoft since it then uses the L line correctly.

At the end of the day, don't get me wrong in thinking I'm trying to be overly pedantic, it's really just an additional note to your excellent write up to warn (and explain to) owners of the M Roadster that it's a bit more complicated if they do not have the OBDII port and the USB KKL interfaces generally available just don't cut it.

As for ADS interfaces, they are a bit tricky to get at the moment. The most popular one was designed and supplied by Ken Fister but he is currently AWOL and nobody knows when he will be back.

I had limited success with my own design but ran out of time to continue development and in the end went for the Miglenium design from Germany.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

zederbee wrote:At the end of the day, don't get me wrong in thinking I'm trying to be overly pedantic, it's really just an additional note to your excellent write up to warn (and explain to) owners of the M Roadster that it's a bit more complicated if they do not have the OBDII port and the USB KKL interfaces generally available just don't cut it.
I'm made of fairly sturdy stuff and don't take offence that easily :wink: It certainly sound like the "transition period" for the late E36 and early ///MR into 2000 that saw a cludge of protocol standards/non standard connectors being used. This is understandable as the manufacturers were losing a serious cash cow in the form of their previously proprietry connnectors and communications, and had to be forced into adopting standards kicking and screaming.

I guess the key here is that L line might be needed for these "transition" cars but might not be supported on some USB-OBD adaptors or in Carsoft.

Thanks for increasing my knowledge :D
jamesT

blank.gif

Post by jamesT »

There's some real expertese out there, I hail to you all :)

Firstly an appology for gatecrashing your party (i'm an E38 owner) but you guys have got some great posts!

I'm using INPA and a USB VAGCOM to diagnose my UK 1996 750iL via a 20pin adapter.

I can connect to ZKE, transmission & EML but not DME. It looks like a software problem because INPA complains of mission object file as per previous post. Has anyone come across this or got any solutions?

Thanks.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Do you have a version mismatch, where V4.47 is installed over V5.02, as in the previous person's case?
jamesT

blank.gif

Post by jamesT »

Thanks for the reply,

Could well be, but I don't think so because I fully uninstalled before reinstalling, but I will try another couple of times to completely reinstall.

Does anyone know details about what the IPO, GRP & PRG files do and which should be present?

The files that seem relevent that I have are DM5212L0.PRG, DM5212L2.PRG, DM5212L3.PRG, DM5212L5.PRG, DM5212L6.PRG; DM5212R0.PRG, DM5212R2.PRG, DM5212R3.PRG, DM5212R5.PRG, DM5212R6.PRG; in c:\ediabas\ecu
and DM5212L.INI, DM5212L.IPO, DM5212R.INI, DM5212R.IPO; in c:\INPA\SGDAT

The reason I ask is that in the FAQ posted above it gives the reason for the error message (1.8), amongst others I've ruled out, as being 'No SGBD' (which I guess is related to the PRG files) or 'No group file' (which I guess is related to GRP files).

Thanks in advance :)
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Is there some reason that E38 users favour V4.47 over V5.02 that has slipped by me?

Would be useful if you could copy out the error messages in full onto here.
Ozi7351

BMW other

BMW and INPA 5.0.2

Post by Ozi7351 »

There are a number of versions around 4.47 being one of them. I also tried 5.0.2 on a clean XP build with so many problems I went for PA Soft 1.3.6 initialy to reprogram my Air Bag Computer and have just got 1.4 to play with auto locking and comfort settings. I would like to see a working copy of INPA to know what it can do.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

If you have the equipment listed above and follow those instuctions you can try it for yourself.

As for what it can do; it is a full diagnostic suite as used by BMW labs for interrogating fault data, sometimes including a mileage reading, fault count, engine speed at the time of the fault, throttle position and if the fault is interrmitant. It can also give live engine data such as cam positions, engine speed, lambda readings, per cylinder power readings and more. It can list VIN numbers and software revisions.

With part of the suite you can code options like Xenons and auto locking.

There is absolutely no support documentation, and so it's only use is for checking and clearing faults using genuine BMW sofware that cannot corrupt the control modules in the way that PASoft and carsoft have reportedly done when the user fumbles about with settings they don't understand.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

If someone can host it I can upload the registry entries.
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

Some interesting information. Well done for collating it.

I am still confused though, sorry :head:

Can anybody point me in the right direction for my 98 M Roadster?

Its tha cable that i am struggling with.

Thanks in advance,

Tags
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

tags wrote:Some interesting information. Well done for collating it.

I am still confused though, sorry :head:

Can anybody point me in the right direction for my 98 M Roadster?

Its tha cable that i am struggling with.

Thanks in advance,

Tags
You have some obscure modules that need the L line. On my PASoft scanner the L line is shorted to the KK lines. I can't get it to work though.

I don't have a car that needs the L line so I haven't been able to test your setup. If you only want to reset the airbag and ABS, the USB setup above should get you going.

For a belt and braces approach, you'll need an ADS interface an an RS232 equipped laptop, and that's big money (£300?).
dazed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dazed »

Ok so i have installed INPA and followed the above almost exactly. My laptop has a serial port so i havent changed values to USB. Carsoft is working fine, i have a lead from the 20 pin connector to a box and then a serial lead from that to my serial port on the laptop.
The issue i have is an error on starting up INPA, i get an error:
ApiInit: error #126, API-0006: access denied API initialization error. No API calls possible.

I have found nothing on the web and i am not moving from one version to another. :head:
Any suggestions?
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Hmm, tricky. Did Ediabas serial port server service start?
dazed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dazed »

Im going to look very dim here but... I didnt see any service start anywhere and theres no such service in my list of installed services. Where should i be looking?

Its not that Tool32.exe process thats eating up my processor is it?
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Nope, it's a little green and grey icon by the clock and an item in the taskbar called EdiaBas Server. It functions as the communitcation layer between the car and INPA.
dazed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dazed »

Ah. No.
I do notice that when i run up INPA i get nothing but the API error. Then if I run Tool32 and then INPA i get labels on the buttons at the bottom of the screen and then the API error.
Might be a red herring but its leading to me to think I'm doing something wrong.
Thanks for your help.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

API I think is an application call. If the lowest level function (Ediabas) isn't running, then that will maybe cause a API call fail. You don't need Tool32. Can you start Ediabas.exe manually first?

Edit: Check me out Homes. INPA starts EdiaBas on mine automatically, but there is no harm in starting it manually.
Did you copy all the ini file to \Windows and add the environement variable as in steps 6 & 7?
dazed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dazed »

Yes i did copy the ini file and the environment variable was already there with the correct value.
I will try to start it manually later and report back but i think you might be on to something here.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Could someone have a look at this link and confirm which USB ODB and BMW connector I will need to connect my Laptop to my car.

Thanks

Indizee
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

What link?

In any case, search on eBay for (KKL, KL, 409.1,OBD2, OBDII) USB and buy the cheapest one from either the UK or China.

Next search for (16 20, OBD2, OBDII) BMW and buy the cheapest one from either the UK or China.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

indizee wrote:Sorry, this was the link.
http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/products/a ... apters.htm
One of thoseand one of those. £34 from there or £12.48 from hereand here, plus twoo weeks shipping from China.
dazed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dazed »

estocks - thank you for your help. But i could not get it running so took the the car to local indie today and his diag tool confirmed what carsoft had being saying all along...
Not a faulty wheel sensor but a faulty ABS pump. :(
Oh he also found that the exhaust cam sensor is not registering. Odd as the car is running just fine, makes me wonder how well it will run if i swap out the sensor.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

You may not have an exhaust cam? Is it on your particular engine, as I thought that was for the M52TU. Mike F will know.
dazed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dazed »

Theres definately an exhaust cam sensor i can see it, and it shows on realoem.
I have a 2.2
chrisdenman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by chrisdenman »

Just a quick question, can this be used to clear an airbag light?
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

chrisdenman wrote:Just a quick question, can this be used to clear an airbag light?
Yes. Go into the SRS menu and clear the fault and the light goes out.
chrisn7

BMW other

Re:

Post by chrisn7 »

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but the issue desdribed below is the first time I have found anyonelse with the exact same problem with E38 750 DMEs.
jamesT wrote:There's some real expertese out there, I hail to you all :)

Firstly an appology for gatecrashing your party (i'm an E38 owner) but you guys have got some great posts!

I'm using INPA and a USB VAGCOM to diagnose my UK 1996 750iL via a 20pin adapter.

I can connect to ZKE, transmission & EML but not DME. It looks like a software problem because INPA complains of mission object file as per previous post. Has anyone come across this or got any solutions?

Thanks.
The car is a '99 with 20 pin and 16 pin ports. I initially started with Carsoft, Vista and serial to USB adapter, and all fitted modules were read except Live data.

I then loaded INPA, using different cable of course, still with the adapter. Again all modules read except the DMEs. The same seller provided DIS, which I also succesfully loaded, but still the same story in that the DMEs could not be read to identify the car. Ditto NCS Expert.

In case the serial adapter was the issue, I subsequently re installed INPA, DIS from another source, this time specifically built for a differentUSB only cable. And again still no Live data.

Recently I acquired an older laptop with a true serial port, and tried this with Carsoft and INPA, and still no Live data.

So I have tried different OS, Cables, Ports, and I had a replacement GMIII module successfully recoded by my independent, which all seems to point to software/install problem.

Latest INPA attempt to read DMEs via true serial port gave this message " Requested control unit DM5212RO, DM5212L2, DM5212L3 not found"

I realise I too am gatecrashing here, but would really appreciate any insight from you fellow enthusiasts...
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: BMW and INPA 5.0.2 Success

Post by gookah »

This looks like English, but I am not so sure..... :puzzle:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

If pin 15 on your 20 pin round socket under the bonnet is populated then you cannot access all modules in your car using an OBDII interface but you need to use a ADS interface which also needs a true serial port on the computer. This is due to the fact that the communication from the car does not combine some lines unlike the OBDII implementation.

Perhaps this is the problem? Certainly my 1999 M Roadster needs ADS to communicate with some modules including the instrument cluster.
chrisn7

BMW other

Post by chrisn7 »

Thank you for responding. Yes pin 15 is populated. The OBDII port on cars of this period only had 4 pins populated-4,5,7,16, presumably intended to allow for on the move reading of DME and EGS only. So I am using the 20 pin underbonnet to make connections, and yes both ports are present, as BMW was just starting to move to OBDII only. I can communicate with the IKE and indeed all other modules, except the pesky DMEs,,

Since finding the control unit refernce numbers, rather than merely referencing e38 DME, I found a few more posts. At the moment, it seems that INPA will never read the V12 DMEs as the required files may not be present in EDIABAS, but DIS should, although I previously failed. I am currently setting up DIS again on my dedicated laptop, so we'll see...
flyhal

Z3 roadster 2.3

Re:

Post by flyhal »

estocks wrote:What link?

In any case, search on eBay for (KKL, KL, 409.1,OBD2, OBDII) USB and buy the cheapest one from either the UK or China.

Next search for (16 20, OBD2, OBDII) BMW and buy the cheapest one from either the UK or China.
Hal, here: You need to confirm the adapter cable pin outs to know what you are getting. The 20 to 16 pin OBD2 have variations amongst the vendors. Some provide pinouts and others just SELL. The RS232 is another animal combining the buses.
zederbee

M roadster S50

Re: Re:

Post by zederbee »

flyhal wrote:
estocks wrote:What link?

Hal, here: You need to confirm the adapter cable pin outs to know what you are getting. The 20 to 16 pin OBD2 have variations amongst the vendors. Some provide pinouts and others just SELL. The RS232 is another animal combining the buses.
If the car has Pin 15 populated under the hood and no OBDII 16 pin connector inside the car then I remain unconvinced is any 16pin to 20pin adapter will work since you need an ADS interface and not OBDII.
Caribe Turf

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by Caribe Turf »

I am trying to get INPA working on a Win 10 computer after my old laptop died,
has any one had success with that