Indoor car cover or bedsheet?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Indoor car cover or bedsheet?

Post by TitanTim »

Can't believe I'm starting to think about storing the Zed away for winter again :( Can anyone recommend a decent indoor cover, don't want to spend alot or would an old bed sheet :lol: do the job just as good? I'm thinking of condensation/breathability etc.

Thanks,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Having just tried to wash the car cover for the frog, there are merits to the old bedsheet idea! I had to take it to the laundrette as it wouldn't go in my machine and it was an absolute sod to get dry again. For indoors, all you are trying to do is keep the dust and spiders off.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

don't you have a sheet left over from the, err, 'murder'? :D

Actually I am thinking the same,... car cover, or buy some microfiber sheets?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Cheers guys, I've only got one spattered sheet and thats used for other things :shock: :lol:

Some of the indoor covers are quite expensive so I think I might invest in a new kingsize bedsheet in silver silk and see how it goes :lol:

Your correct Robert its actually the spiders daft as it sound as they like to c&ap on the car :shock:

Tim.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote:Your correct Robert its actually the spiders daft as it sound as they like to c&ap on the car :shock:

Tim.
and its noisy, them clapping with all their 8 hands

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If its in a garage a dust sheet should be fine, in fact better than using a cheap outdoor cover indoors.

I used to keep mine in a car port so used a good indoor cover with an outdoor cover on top (the outdoor covers do scratch the paintwork).

The problem is a good indoor cover looks ace :D

Ps mines already in storage until next year :head:

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

gookah wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Your correct Robert its actually the spiders daft as it sound as they like to c&ap on the car :shock:

Tim.
and its noisy, them clapping with all their 8 hands
:D :D

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Jonttt wrote:If its in a garage a dust sheet should be fine, in fact better than using a cheap outdoor cover indoors.

I used to keep mine in a car port so used a good indoor cover with an outdoor cover on top (the outdoor covers do scratch the paintwork).

The problem is a good indoor cover looks ace :D

Ps mines already in storage until next year :head:

Thanks for piccies Jon :lol: as you say a good indoor cover can look great :lol: but as much as anything as the Zed will be on a trickle charger via the ciggy lighter a simple dust cover would be more convienient as the charging unit sits on drivers seat.

Tim.
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

But why!?

The weather's been better this last week than it has all summer!!! Surely, it'll be the best time to be enjoying a bit of wind in the hair?
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

I use cotton bedsheets - they do the job and after every season I was them - ready for next winter...
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

To protect my hood
i used a large cotton sheet with old tankbag magnets wrapped in rubber netting to keep it in place when i was in spain last month. it worked a treat

Johnett where did u get yr cover its ace
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

I bought a car cover from quality_car_covers on e-bay and they let the car breathe and collect condensation as well, i used it last winter and it was brilliant. Some bedsheets like cotton hold the moisture.
larson12

blank

Re: Indoor car cover or bedsheet?

Post by larson12 »

hi,
i am from Australia. i remember when i was out of country i stored my car covered with bed sheet for almost a year. i covered my car with super king size sheet bed sheet and when i return i ordered new sheet sets for my bedding. :D
Buy super king bed sheets in Australia https://www.elanlinen.com.au/bed-sheets
thomasbrown92

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Indoor car cover or bedsheet?

Post by thomasbrown92 »

I used to use a couple of old bedsheets draped over the car - did the job of keeping the spiders and dust off really well! Kind of sweet really - literally tucking the car up in bed for the winter...

Does anybody do anything for the tyres? (inflate pressures a little, axle stands, tyre cushions, etc.)?

Cheers

Tom
Tom
2001 BMW Z3 2.2 Hellrot Red
2018 BMW 420d M Sport Gran Coupé [F36] Black Sapphire Metallic