How to change glove box lock barrel (pictures)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Belle

Z3 roadster 1.8

How to change glove box lock barrel (pictures)

Post by Belle »

Been meaning to fix this since last summer when a friend tried to open the glove box while it was locked and the handle came off in her hand. As other have commented it seems impossible to get the two pieces together and in the end it was pretty straightforward to fix with a spare glove box handle (about £19 from dealer).

1. Remove the rest of the handle surround by loosening two screws inside the glovebox. You won't need this again if replacing with a new part.

2. The barrel is actually really easy to remove by loosening 4 clips at the back of the handle.

3. Remove the barrel with the key in as this stops any of the parts of the lock mechanism falling out.

4. There was a new ring with the new handle (my original one wasn't broken but used the new one anyway). In either case remove the old one from the barrel and fit whichever one into the new surround.

5. Push the barrel into the new surround using the key until you hear it click into place.

6. Replace into glove box door using the same two screws. Tada!!
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: How to change glove box lock barrel (pictures)

Post by Zed Carer »

Very nice write up that I'm sure will be useful to others.

Wish I had known about Step 3 before I did mine a couple of years ago as I had Step 3A - Collect the bits that have fallen out of the lock barrell and work out how they go back in again! :head:
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
dakaryellow

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by dakaryellow »

Hi Belle,

Do you still happen to have the old ring that goes inside the glove box handle?

Mine is broken (the little nip that moves the latch just broke off) and without it the handle cannot trigger the latch to open it. The whole mechanism is worthless without that little nip in the ring :head:

Thanks!!!
neilb62

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by neilb62 »

My lock is missing completely, silly question but are they matched to the cars key or can I just by a used one and replace it?
Ta.
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Belle

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Belle »

Hmmm, can't remember I'm afraid. I don't think I replaced the barrel though. Must be able to purchase from dealer though and wouldn't have thought too expensive.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Yes, the lock on the glovebox is matched to the ignition key. It wouldn't be the end of the world if they didn't match, but you would need the key. Note that there is a valet key which opens and starts the car, but won't open the glovebox, so if you get one from a breaker, make sure you get one of the normal keys.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
neilb62

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by neilb62 »

Thanks, as I hardly keep anything in there perhaps it’s not worth the faff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk