Is that lump removable?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Is that lump removable?

Post by Warrior »

I've a 3.0i automatic and at 6'2" with the seat back as far as it can go my left leg craves an extra inch of space. There's a lump to the left of the brake pedal in the form of a foot rest and I'm wondering if it can be removed?
(Not had a chance to investigate by lifting carpet yet!)
Joycey

M roadster S52

Re: Is that lump removable?

Post by Joycey »

I have a funny feeling that space is the other side of the transmission tunnel, maybe the side of the gearbox. I'm sure someone can confirm.

I'm 6,1 and found having the seat more upright allowed the seat to travel back further. Might be of some use.

Lee
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Have you done the seat lift kit that raises the front of the seat a bit? That might be all you need to support your leg a bit better and negate the need for the extra length.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The lump is a consequence of the metal firewall design, so it isn't removable easily. You could raise the car and examine the construction from under there to see if any brake lines, cables or mechanical bits are channeled in that recess. If not it is possible to have it cut away and a plain section of sheet metal welded in to replace it and retain structural integrity. Obviously the pre-formed carpet will need flattening out, and before any cutting / weldiing etc you will need to remove the front carpet section to avoid fire etc.
Alternately, as Blades suggested, you can fit my seat lift mod which raises the front mounting points and provides an inch or two of extra lower leg room. See my post "Z3 UPGRADES AND ADDITIONS".
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Is that lump removable?

Post by David »

I've heard differently... I've been told it is just a solid foam behind the 'lump'.

From this thread:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6682
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... Correction David.... It's the way the steel bulkhead has been pressed in the making... The reciprocal footrest on the LHD cars is integral with the foot well side trim which also has the speaker grill in it. On RHD cars, it's part of the bulkhead or so it appears on the parts diagram on realoem.com. If you give a good tap on it with a small hammer, you should be able to ascertain it's solidity and perhaps what underlies the carpet.
"Normal is overrated"

Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Is there a product out there that can make that annoying lump more like a proper foot rest. :?:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you mean is there something to make it wider without adding much more to the thickness? Then yes there is. eBay has many options if you search under BMW Z3 Roadster foot pedal kit.... or just BMW e36 foot rest etc etc... But basically it's a screw on plate made from ally and a rubber backing which protrudes through slits cut in the ally... They sell them for all 3 pedals and the footrest as a matching set. You need to remove the OEM rubber covers to fit the blingy foot pedal attachments...All in all they're pretty smart as an optional finish to OEM.
"Normal is overrated"

Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

If a picture is available shown fitted, that would be great ............... :thumb:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

That "lump" in the carpet is exactly that. A lump in the carpet, there is nothing behind it but a void. If you care to pm me your email I will send pictures of how I adapted mine into a Proper foot rest pedal. PM Sirius -c and ask him also.

Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Hi Tony can you post the pics anyway it might be good to add to the knowledge base.

Cheers Mark
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage