Z3 2.2 rebuild journal - The Terd-Mobile

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 2.2 rebuild journal - The Terd-Mobile

Post by mrscalex »

I agree on the contaminate risk. However according to the description that goes with this lube it doesn't attract dust.

Pagid Cera-Tec is a specially formulated Brake lubricant for assembly of pads, calipers, discs and wheels bolts.

- 0% Copper content ensure no interferance with ABS sensors,
- Non Stick compound wont pick up dirt
- Easy to use 75ml Tube

Mine came branded as Textar btw but it's the same stuff from the same factory.

ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I found putting any form of lube in the sliders made the rubber really pliable which in turn left lots of deposits on the pins themselves, I have not used anything on the sliders at all for a few years now and all seems ok.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Brian H wrote:I found putting any form of lube in the sliders made the rubber really pliable which in turn left lots of deposits on the pins themselves, I have not used anything on the sliders at all for a few years now and all seems ok.
I appreciate that thought Brian and I know whether to or not is contentious. Which is why I only said probably on the sliders as I was still undecided. I'm very happy to take on board your experience so I'll leave it off the sliders.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Sounds like a good product. Perhaps put some on one side only and then check the condition of the rubber and the slider in a week after some driving ??
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Been busy this week :)

New discs and pads fitted. Having spent all that time researching the hi-tech brake lube I went on auto-pilot and used the copper grease all round in error but I guess it can stay like that now...

Drop link on the offside had a bent mounting bracket and the bush had spewed out. Here's the old bracket on the right next to the replacement that came from the breaker. Why didn't I buy a new one for the sake of a couple of quid? They are £30-£35 from BMW...

I bought Meyle HD. They went on fine but note the fixing nut (top) is 15mm and the OEM is 16mm.

It also took forever trying to find the correct torques for the whole assembly as this is not well documented. This link appeared to be the most authoritative so I went with the numbers in there.

https://www.dvatp.com/bmw/swaybars

U-bracket to control arm 31 lb/ft (inconsistency over this value across different sources)
Drop link to u-bracket (through bolt) 22 lb/ft (that's the tricky one to find) - this is the only one meant to have a self-locking nut from what I could tell
Drop link to sway bar 44 lb/ft

The chrome bonnet side grills off the breaker went on. I don't like these on Boston Green(the breaker) but they look great on Topaz Blue :)

The long running saga with the bonnet release is also over :) I replaced the main cable (£27) the interlink cable (£15) and both latches (£10 ea). So £62 in total but it was worth it as it feels as good as my 3 year old Alhambra now :) The catches on the bonnet needed quite a bit of fiddling with too but I got there in the end. All the same, the front bonnet grills are staying off for now until I've released the bonnet enough over next week to be sure it's all okay!
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Some more updates from this weekend.

The front wheel arches got a final clean ready for the liners to go back.

As did the air duct plastics on the front

Offside needed a new air duct. The plastic rivets are really tricky to get in on this side with the shock absorber mounted. So a little pair of fingers required.

Here's the fully completed front end structure. The Boston Green front panel is temporary until next year. I'm yet to find a nice Topaz Blue one and I just can't spend more time on the car this year stripping it down to mount.

Nearside liner back in with all new clips and bolts.

And with bumper.

Offside.

And headlights back in.

I have both the clear headlights - they survived the accident that wrote the car off but 7 of the 8 mounts were broken. Surprisingly nearly all the broken off plastic was recovered and I'm literally trying to glue them back together. Not sure if even Araldite will be strong enough and perhaps I'll get some extra strengthening added. Not sure when I'll be ready to try them.

The registration plates were expertly re-instated by James.

I promised James I'd try to get the car MOT'd by his birthday on 25 Jul so he could enjoy the first drive on his special day! The lights have a number of small jobs to complete including a continuity issue on the offside marker light. And we have to get the pre-facelift seats from the breaker in until I find a pair of nice, reasonably priced Sports seats. I've spent ages studying the wiring diagrams and logistics to lash the seats in and I have a plan...

The roll bars have to come back out as a) I forgot to mount the offside seat belt anchor b) I want to put a machine polisher on the inside of the screen and they will get in the way. The washers have a leak and need new valves. Other than that, I think we are nearly there :)

ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Congrats !! I've been enjoying your account. Look forward to seeing pics of the final assembled car... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Shame you didn't paint the calipers when you had them apart, good job to have given James.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Yes pictures of the fully assembled car will be an important milestone as I want to take those pictures away from the driveway and somewhere nice in the sun so we need to get that MOT Monday first :)

I thought about painting the calipers but you have to stop somewhere especially when a deadline is approaching. And I do have my brother's 1.9 to maintain as well. And only half the week to do the work in as I live away in Swansea the other half of the week.

Swansea is where the car is going to live with my other half. We have my brother's 1.9 in Swindon and I think it would be nice having it up in Swansea with all the lovely coastal and country roads up that way.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Well, the final run in today for the MOT Monday. The day's activities were planned as:

- Remove seats from breaker
- Lash up wiring harness for seats
- Fit seats
- Fix windscreen washers
- Fit bonnet grills
- Fix marker lights
- Aim headlights
- Feed cables through boot lid
- Clear the airbag light
- Check any error codes in INPA.

The driver's seat came out the breaker easily enough. But I found a broken cable on the passenger side, no power - no access to mounting bolts. So I figured the motor may still be okay and I just needed to hot wire it. Access to the rear where the broken cable was located was too tight. So I pulled the motor connector off which lives at the front and set-up this arrangement using crocodile clips. The other end went to the driver's side cabling which was accessible with the seat out. Very temporary but it worked. This obviously bypasses the switch so the motor starts as soon as the wires are connected and they need to be reversed to go the other way.

The seats got a clean with Gliptone products by my 2 able assistants.

And I lashed up a pre-facelift to facelift adaptor harness from the cut-off chassis side connectors from the breaker together with the seat side connector from an X5 harness off ebay. It uses the same connector and is much more easily available than a Z3 part. The internal pins are configurable and can vary from one application to another. The power and seat-belt pre-tensioners lined-up but the seat heaters didn't. Fortunately the breaker's seats didn't have heating.

Now this was going to be a temporary-permanent arrangement until I found the proper facelift Sport seats. But the next project was due to arrive during the afternoon. We decided to go ahead with fitting the breaker's seats though just in case the transporter didn't turn up. It would also allow me to get in the car and drive it for the first time so it could come out of the 'repair bay' the new project needed to take up. 30 seconds after moving the car the transporter turned up!

Here they both are together.

Now I have to say I took a bit of chance buying this next project. I bought it blind, the photos weren't comprehensive but I just got a good vibe. It looked like a nice car with the reason it had gone for salvage being a seized engine. And importantly it had what looked like a very nice pair of Sport seats. And what do you know? The seats were absolutely superb. Here they are fitted to the Terd-Mobile:

With the seats sorted we fed the cables back into the boot lid. The boot lid had been off to replace the rear wings. I've done this job before by feeding strimmer cable through as a guide. This stuff was cheap and useless though. Way too curly. So we used a £1 Poundland iPhone charging cable instead. It's quite a bit stiffer than an Apple one and worked perfectly. Don't believe everything you read about cheap cables by the way. This one works fine including after it had been subjected to the insides of the boot lid!

The little man had to retire half way though with hay fever but his sister stepped up to the mark. I really struggle to get my hands into the boot lid cavity. Jasmine was most determined and got there in the end. It even all worked afterwards!

What I thought was a circuit fault with the offside marker light turned out to be me plugging it in to the wrong connector. Not sure what the similar connector was for!

The leaking washer valve was replaced and after unblocking the jet on the other side it all worked well. Here's the old one showing signs of being gunged up.

I then had a fight with trying to get INPA to work. It works perfectly on the pre-facelift 1.9 with the pacman connector. But I couldn't get the port re-configured for the facelift connector. In the end I installed it on a second laptop and at least it read the engine codes. I just had a 100 control module which I just cleared as I'm pretty certain it just reflects the battery having been disconnected. But I couldn't get the chassis, body or transmission modules working. So I couldn't get into the Airbag section which is presumably where you go to clear the airbag light. The garage will have to do that now. As they will with the headlight aim which I royally fell short on. I was just too tired by 10pm to do anything other than ensure it wasn't going to dazzle anyone. But the MOT rules have changed this year and the alignment tolerance has been reduced. I'm also not convinced the headlight height switch is working and that's now in the MOT too.

The front grills had a very slight deformation from the accident which was fixed by heating up over the gas hob. They went straight in.

It was finally finished at 10.15pm and taken up to the MOT garage ready for first thing in the morning. There were a couple of small rattles but in general it ran very smoothly and in fact better than my 3 year old Alhambra!

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow :)
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Failed on the air bag light. Garage tool didn't work either. No comms. I'm wondering if I disturbed the connection on the reverse of the trim panel when I did the bonnet cable. That said it's reading the engine codes on my INPA okay.

I've ordered a reset tool (£13) and fingers crossed. Hopefully okay for another go at the MOT Thursday.

At least the rest of the car was okay. Result!
ImageImage
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Double check the connections and wires under the seats may be as simple as that considering you have had the seats out.
Good luck for Thursday.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

colb wrote:Double check the connections and wires under the seats may be as simple as that considering you have had the seats out.
Good luck for Thursday.
The light was on as a result of the dismantler removing the seats without disconnecting the battery. Unlike many circuits (ag ABS) the airbag circuit will not reset itself after the problem is fixed.

My only real concern is if the car computer is refusing to talk to the relevant circuits. 3 different devices have all had comms errors but the chances are they were all either configured wrong or not the correct tools for the job.
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If you have INPA, then you should be able to reset the airbag light using it. Make sure you connect to the round 20-pin socket under the bonnet and NOT the OBDII connector under the dash (this is only connected to the engine ECU). Use the INPA Airbag module to clear the error memory.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Robert T wrote:If you have INPA, then you should be able to reset the airbag light using it. Make sure you connect to the round 20-pin socket under the bonnet and NOT the OBDII connector under the dash (this is only connected to the engine ECU). Use the INPA Airbag module to clear the error memory.

Cheers R.
:oops: I was using the dash connector. No bl**dy wonder I could only see the engine module!

Guess what I'm straight off to do... Thank you, thank you!
ImageImage
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

+1 on Roberts advice re connector to use for airbag work, when you get your airbag reader/reset tool you need to use the pacman socket even if it comes with a OBD2 plug, obviously need a round to OBD2 changer cable. Some of the sellers of this kit on ebay include the changer cable.
I have a B800 Airbag tool and use it with the changer cable.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Thanks for sharing - fun to view the progress. Glad to see you've roped in the family on zero hours contracts :D
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

mrscalex wrote:Not sure about the bright look of the bolts. May replace with black ones. But it took me long enough finding exactly the right size for the bolts and bolt clips as it was regardless of colour!

Did you go directly to BMW for the bolts or are they from elsewhere?

Some great work you have done, glad it was only a minor thing it failed the MOT on and hopefully just needs a reset!
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Reset okay :) Thanks again Robert T.

Done with my brothers Creator C110 handheld he uses with his 1 Series. I would imagine now I'm plugging it into the right place my INPA will work as well!

They said at the garage I can pop it back anytime for the retest and do it while I wait. So hopefully in business tomorrow or Wed as things permit.

There are a couple of small rattles but in general it's smooth as silk. Like a very expensive 3-5 year old car really.

I think the clutch has gone on the air con compressor. The pulley just sits there or moves very slowly. I have a good mobile air con guy so I'll get him out. Don't care about the air con as much as the noise it makes and the potential for any damage if the belt breaks.

It seems a bit slow to warm up too. But the cooling system overhaul will be done before it does any serious work.
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

mrscalex wrote:Reset okay :) Thanks again Robert T.
You're most welcome. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

g8jka wrote:Did you go directly to BMW for the bolts or are they from elsewhere?
Those bolts were non-OEM. They're 4.8mm x 19mm. The OEM part is listed as 4.8 x 18. But I measured them as 18mm with a micrometer anyway. Also the washer width isn't quite big enough when using on the wheel arch liners and needs an additional machine washer. This bolt (07147129161) is used in various places on the car and doesn't always need the additional washer.

I'll have to check up where I got those from. But if you put '4.8 19 (hex,hexagon)' into ebay you'll see plenty of options. Finding the right u-clips that are often used with these bolts is a bit of a problem. There are lots on ebay but the problem is finding ones which are the right depth to slide onto the plastic. I've not really found the best fit yet as to get the depth I had to get a larger plate size. But they're cheap enough and I've a few more samples I've ordered to try out. I might just cut my losses in future though and use OEM.

It's a bit hit and miss generally whether non-OEM is cheaper than OEM and of acceptable quality. I'm trying to keep notes I'll post up some time. But I've had good success and saved a few pennies on certain types of plastic rivets, headlight mounting bolts, plastic nuts and these 4.8x19 bolts.

The bumper rivets were useless though and so were the boot carpet buttons. Advertised with the corresponding BMW part number as an exact match but wrongly sized.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

For a cost estimate for any OEM part use this link to Rybrook BMW. The only on-line dealer pricing I can find.

https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-spare-parts/

Generally I've found this to be a maximum price - Trainer BMW where I get my OEM stuff from is generally 20%+ cheaper.

By way of example a washer valve (61661389040) is £6.05+VAT on Rybrook and £4.06+VAT from Trainer. That's actually just over 30% cheaper.

And the 07147129161 bolt in the previous message is £1.05 incl. VAT from Rybrook and mine were 26p incl. VAT each.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

MOT re-test Thu. They only re-test the fail so it should be 10 mins while I wait to check there's no airbag light and issue the paperwork :)
ImageImage
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Great write up, I hope all your efforts will lead to a happy ownership. I love how you have envolved your kids with your project. I'm sure your kids are going to enjoy some rides out as there reward and some memories to cherish, nothing like being picked from school in a cool car if you have the opportunity to.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Althulas wrote:Great write up, I hope all your efforts will lead to a happy ownership. I love how you have envolved your kids with your project. I'm sure your kids are going to enjoy some rides out as there reward and some memories to cherish, nothing like being picked from school in a cool car if you have the opportunity to.
Absolutely. Best part for me.

It could be expensive though. My daughter wants to keep the next project when it's finished!
ImageImage
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Who ever said kids were cheap labour :roflmao: Well enjoy the now.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Great work, well done.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I'll second that!

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks for all the nice comments. I can say with 100% certainty I would never have even attempted the rebuild without the support of this forum. As well as saving a nice Z3 it's helped me keep my sanity by providing a welcome distraction over a challenging period personally.

Here's a reminder of the before with a new after. It should look better again once I've put the machine polisher over it and got the clear lights in.

ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thoroughly well done and thoroughly enjoyed following the re-build. :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

BanzaiZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BanzaiZ3 »

what a awesome read that was!!

the car is looking stunning!! massive pat on the back to you and your boy!!
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Yes!!! Must be the world's fastest re-test - literally took 5 secs just to check the light was out. No advisories either :)

ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

My daughter has advised me that non-running/MOT'd Z3s are males as they are useless.

Now we have an MOT and the car is useable, apparently it's had a sex-change and is now a female. So my departed friend Richard (aka The Terd who the project was named after in his memory) we are moving on having thought of you frequently over the course of the work (and still will do).

But the Terd-Mobile is now Trudy and the roll call of Z3s saved from the scrap heap in my signature will be updated as soon as I can make it work :)
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

And apparently Dimitri, despite sounding like a male is short for Dimitria who I'm told is also female :lol:
ImageImage
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Surely the shape of a Z3 dictates that it is a female! :thumb:

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

thats what mine is Jasmin loverly curves( swmbo names cars)
peter2b
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

youve done an amazing job there - looks great
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

nice work bud i not read the whole thread but seen bits of it... good to see another Z3 saved from the scrap heap....

mine is coming along just a few more bits to sort...

its never really finished though, theres always something else to add
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

colb wrote:Shame you didn't paint the calipers when you had them apart, good job to have given James.
just a few tips on the calipers...

i have done mine, its taken me almost 2 weeks... but hey no rush here...

caliper holding bracket off, wire brushed in my pillar drill with all sorts of different shape wire brushes, then used my angle grinder with a serioulsy worn 120 grit sanding disk to get in to the rest of the nooks and crannies, slider pins spun up in my pillar drill, and polished to perfection with autosol, caliper bracket then degreased, and washed in dishwasher then rinsed again with clean water, now caliper bracket baked in oven nice and hot. pounldand silver spray dipped in hot kettle water to warm paint, said caliper bracket / brakcets then hung up and painted with poundland silver, then allowed to dry overnight loads of coats of paint helped to bake on with my heatgun... brake pads and brake retaining spring clips wire brushed, and spring clip painted satin black, next reassemble caliper bracket on car to caliper and no pads in, but do the same wire brush treatment and angle grinder to the caliper on the car without removing brake hose.. heated up brake caliper with hot air gun again and degreased with turps, and masked off rubber slider thing, brake nipple, and bedsheet over inner arch when spraying poundland paint... did this to 4 wheels, and at the same time thoroughly cleaned all 4 alloy wheels outside and inside faces, and treated all tyres to halfords tyre shine....

looks real good now.. pics soon
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

It's been a month since I did any real work on Trudy (nee Terd Mobile). Its future lies up in Swansea where I am for half the week with my other half (she may even be allowed to drive it too :lol: ). So I wanted to make sure it's in good shape for the journey west. The only real mechanical fault I could find was a slow warm up. I wanted to overhaul the cooling system anyway so it made sense to do this before putting any real miles on it.

So I replaced water pump (Meyle), thermostat (Wahler) and viscous fan (Behr). I understand Behr are the OEM for all 3 of these parts but cost was prohibitive on the first 2 so I selected high quality alternatives instead.

It also had new coolant. I decided against flushing as the coolant that came out was very clean and I didn't want to introduce tap water from the hose into the system. 7 of the 10.5 litre capacity drained out and was replaced, remembering to have the ignition on and heater on warm/low blow.

I also replaced the o-rings in the radiator hoses plus the block drain plug washer. I know some people would replace the hoses but they were in good order and I saw no point.

The hydraulic tensioners were in good order, in fact they both span beautifully by hand and I thought they'd never stop! I'd ordered a Contitech main drive belt but the Gates one on there was pristine so I'll save the new one.

I know some people would replace the pump pulley too (plastic to metal) and even the fan blades. But both in perfect order so I saw no point. And some might routinely replace the radiator but although this one is (presumably) the original item I'm not investing £300 unless I really have to - this one works fine!

No real dramas but the block drain plug is a complete nightmare to get to. I've ordered some stubby ratchets off ebay for better access next time and to get more on the plug to tighten it a shade more.

I tried hard not to but still managed to spill about a litre of old coolant. Interestingly that wasn't from the block. It was from the radiator as I made the mistake of checking how fast it came out with the expansion tank stopper off. Tip, leave the stopper on and be patient as it trickles out! I looked into getting a flexible funnel for the block plug but these aren't cheap. Then I hit upon the idea of a she wee (google it...). but I couldn't find one locally (and I wasn't going to ask the assistant...). I used a clean heavy duty plastic bag (for aggregates) to channel it instead and it worked well.

Bleeding the system was not the nightmare I expected it to be, in fact it was straight-forward (well, I'm pretty sure all the air is out - I get a flow from the bleed valve).

So all in all, messy with coolant spillage, block drain plug a pig but otherwise straight-forward. And highly recommended as an investment in your engine's welfare.

I was intrigued by the water pump that came out. Very thin stainless steel blades. I understand this might be the OEM pump? But there are no markings and it might equally have been a very horrible far east part. I doubt it though as the car bears all the hallmarks of having been extremely well looked after by previous owners. Here are the 2. Any thoughts as I'm curious?

I'll be doing the oil and filters change later in the week and then it will be emigrating to the valleys (well the Lower Swansea Valley, ie town centre suburb).

There is of course all manner of small things to see to. But no rush and I'll just be targetting a handful of mostly small things for the rest of this year (P) being the priority items, in fact the non (P) items could well end up being left for next season.
  1. Oil/filters change (P)
  2. Service electric windows (P)
  3. Service door mirrors (P)
  4. Fix offside door lock & outer handle (P)
  5. Replace door cards (P)
  6. Refit door sill trims (P)
  7. Replace boot struts (P)
  8. Complete rest of Inspection II Service (P)
  9. Treat rust spots (P)
  10. Replace air-con fan as seizing when warms up (P)
  11. Fit clear headlamps and tail lamps
  12. Mount fog lights and snag wiring
  13. Adjust front wing alignment
  14. Clean/waterproof roof
  15. Fix roof around rear window
  16. Fit front bumper grill
  17. Fit engine undertray
Over the winter or more probably next Spring there are some slightly larger jobs to see to:
  1. Blast/powdercoat front panel and respray in Topaz Blue
  2. Respray faulty paint on driver's door
  3. Refurbish alloy wheels
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Some more attention for Trudy this week.
  • Electric windows serviced with new sliders
  • Door mirrors greased up and turning nicely
  • Boot struts replaced with a better second-hand pair that don't result in sudden collapse. Still not good enough so a new pair on the way
  • Spinning door lock problem fixed
  • Bumper grille araldited into place (studs are generally unusable once starlocs are dremelled off. The donor was a non-Sport so it had to come off
  • Air-con fan replaced. The air-con is working for the first time and icey cold :)
I had a bit of a mare with the spinning door lock. I had a donor handle from a salvage yard door but you need the original key to withdraw the key barrel. I didn't have that so had to drill it out.

When I put the good key barrel in it wouldn't turn both ways. I spent ages trying to figure out why but gave up in the end. So I just robbed the ball bearing/spring loaded assembly that when it drops out causes the spinning and put it in my original door lock. Job done. Was going to JB Weld it but have never used it before, didn't know how liquid it was and was concerned it might run down in side the mechanism. But the plate went back firmly and I gaffer taped it for good measure.

All working nicely now but I bent the circlip for the handle locating stud (I hate removing them - what's the secret?) and I have to wait until next week for a new one (£1.48 for a 2p clip).

In the course of robbing the donor handle and dismantling it, I found the outer barrel pierced inwards and that was what was preventing the lock turning in both directions. It was possibly done when I drilled the key barrel out.

I have a small leak either side to fix on the doors and then the door cards will be going back on. I'm fed up of looking at bare metal but there's so much needs sorting while the door cards are off.

I still can't get over how lovely it drives. It's like a 3-4 year old car (only 60k miles done). It only cost me £500 (okay, and £1500 to rebuild...) and could so nearly have ended up being broken. That would have been real sad. The old girl has emigrated to Swansea to be with my other half and myself when I'm up there. So if you're in the area and see us, give us a wave. I'm taking her out quite a bit, especially as my Alhambra is in my bad books currently.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Here's Trudy looking very happy in her new home.

I have to say the photo is a little flattering. The paintwork still needs a machine polish and stone chip touch-in.
ImageImage
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

looking great, you've done what I did 2 years ago , saved my z3 from scrap now enjoy trips and holiday in her
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

peter2b wrote:looking great, you've done what I did 2 years ago , saved my z3 from scrap now enjoy trips and holiday in her
peter2b
Absolutely. It's been brought up to Swansea to make the most of the Gower and valleys. And as a pick-me-up for my other-half who has not enjoyed a very good year. I just have to get the door cards back now as she won't get in it at the moment in case she sticks herself to the exposed Butyl seam. That's fair enough - it's horrible stuff.

Still waiting to do my first Z3 to Z3 wave, in Swansea or in Swindon in my brother's 1.9.
ImageImage
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Ive said it many times already but it needs saying again - great job... its probably one of the best maintained cars on the forum now with everything you have done
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

bertiejaffa wrote:Ive said it many times already but it needs saying again - great job... its probably one of the best maintained cars on the forum now with everything you have done
That's really kind bertiejaffa - thank you. It will never be a show car or minter but I'm pleased to have saved a very decent car from the recycling yard.

There's a few jobs still left before I can say 'it's done'. But that doesn't stop me feeling proud as punch when I'm driving it.

Let's see if I can breathe some life back into the silver 2.2 with the dead engine (Okus) now. The donor car arrives tomorrow, a 2.2 Topaz Blue non-Sport Cat C which looks like it was dispatched into a ditch.

I feel a bit guilty breaking it as it's potentially saveable but when a Z3's been cat'd it needs to be low mileage and/or have something special about it when the completed car is only going to be worth 60% of the normal market rate. Unfortunately 'Debra' has neither going for her :cry: But she'll have the honour of helping to keep a number of other Z3s on the road :)
ImageImage