ABS/DSC Problem?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
KugaWestie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

ABS/DSC Problem?

Post by KugaWestie »

I rècently privately purchased a 2001 3.0 Sport Roadster, and love it.
It has 93k on the clock and an almost complete service history.

The first time it rained when the car was outside at home the passenger seat got soaked. Thanks to reading this forum I have now resolved the leak on the top of the windscreen pillar, and the car is now water tight.

Within a few days of getting it home, the Amber coloured brake warning light (an exclamation mark within a circle with brackets around it) came on. It is the one next to the parking brake warning light. It has been intermittent ever since, sometimes it comes on, sometimes it does not.

So I invested in a C110+ Code reader and hooked it up tonight.

The error messages I am getting are as follows:-
5E4F Continuous control
5E38 Rotation rate sensor
5E3C Rotation rate signal

Am I right in thinking this is a faulty Yaw sensor? Brake fluid levels are fine

Any help very much appreciated!

PS - How do you add photos to posts?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: ABS/DSC Problem?

Post by Gazza »

I would clear the codes and then read them again.

Pics are hosted elsewhere like Flickr, Photobucket is having issues at the moment with hosting on 3rd party sites.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Hi, I had the same symptoms on my 2.8. It turned out the lead to the sensor on the nearside front wheel wasn`t tied down and the insulation had rubbed away then every now and again the bare wire was coming into contact with metal causing it to earth and trigger the brake warning light. This was discovered by the chap who fitted my new tyres. He put some insulation tape round the wire and a cable tie to stop it flapping about and I never had another problem with it. Hope this helps.
KugaWestie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by KugaWestie »

Gazza wrote: Thu 13 Jul, 2017 21:56 I would clear the codes and then read them again.

Pics are hosted elsewhere like Flickr, Photobucket is having issues at the moment with hosting on 3rd party sites.
Thanks

I did clear the codes and as soon as I checked again the codes were back, so there must be something wrong somewhere.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Sounds like a wheel speed sensor at fault, whip the wheels off and check their wiring. A scan with INPA would identify which one is at fault as far as I know, your code reader is just giving generic codes. Have a search on here for wheel sensors they crop up quite often.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
KugaWestie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by KugaWestie »

colb wrote: Fri 14 Jul, 2017 09:22 Sounds like a wheel speed sensor at fault, whip the wheels off and check their wiring. A scan with INPA would identify which one is at fault as far as I know, your code reader is just giving generic codes. Have a search on here for wheel sensors they crop up quite often.
Thanks

Would this work on the car?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-K ... 1438.l2649

If not, can you recommend what will please?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Yes it would work in conjunction with a laptop, be warned the software takes up a lot of space on the hard drive. You would also need a BMW round diagnostic plug to 16pin OBD2 plug to read the engine modules. If you have a 16pin OBD2 socket under your steering wheel as well as the round pacman diagnostic socket in the engine bay you will have to run INPA software from the round diagnostic socket. The 16pin OBD2 socket only reads a minimum of modules, I always use the round socket.
The round to 16pin cable is also on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD-2-Cable-R ... Swd~RZXuHF
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
KugaWestie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by KugaWestie »

Great, thanks

I already have the round socket adaptor, so looks like an investment into the INPA kit so I can pinpoint the problem is the next step
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

You dont need all that. Its almost certainly a wheel sensor that needs cleaning. Its an allen key bolt for each one. If they havent been done before, lots of soaking in releasing oil (not WD40). The bolts can shear so be careful otherwise they will need drilling out. The sensors themselves will be jambed in so time and patience and oil are needed. Otherwise some give up, hammer them out and replace them. Once cleaned, the job becomes easy with a smear of oil to prevent sticking next time. I do mine once a year and from having a regular problem wih them, they are now trouble free.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

John is quite right about getting the sensors out, they often refuse to budge and the only way is to take a hammer and drift to knock them out resulting in them getting smashed. Do what I said first and check the wiring then try removing them and cleaning if they come out without breaking reinstall and see if fault clears with a drive. If fault remains with new ones to hand have a go at taking each one out and replacing with a new one to see if the fault clears. I would still go for the INPA software it can do a lot more than look at the wheel sensors. Its a handy tool to have. Its just a matter of finding out which one is the duff one. Using INPA would save a lot of wheel changing wouldn't it?
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
KugaWestie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by KugaWestie »

Thanks fellas

Does this fault affect the drive at all in your experience?
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

If the allen screw does come out OK I suggest that you replace it with a high tensile one (12.9 grade is good) so that if it ever becomes seized in the future you can lean on it a bit without it snapping. If it does snap off you can mill it out with a tiny end mill but it takes a long time and is a real pain to do (guess how I know!).
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

KugaWestie wrote: Fri 14 Jul, 2017 20:22 Thanks fellas

Does this fault affect the drive at all in your experience?
I have the same thing on the 335i at the moment, ABS isn't working, other than that all is ok.
Going to be read with http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/ tomorrow.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Be interested in what your mycarly scan app can actually do, it looks suspiciously like a ELM 327 Wifi interface that can be used with scanner apps on phone or ipad. I use one with an app called Dash Command which reads codes and looks at live engine data it doesn't do much more than that and cannot do any coding changes to the ecu. ELM327 units are available on ebay for a lot less than the mycarly kit and you can download the apps such as Dash Command on the web for free or for little money.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... i&_sacat=0

http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

My friend has the Android version of Carly (£43) on a Tablet, he really rates it, does coding, diagnostics and sings and dances.

If used with iPhone/iPad you will need to use Bluetooth

I'll give my opinion tomorrow :wink:
Gazza

ImageImage