Manifold heat shields Z1

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Manifold heat shields Z1

Post by TJS »

Has anyone replaced the combined exhaust manifold gaskets and heat shields on a DIY basis ?

They are not leaking however, the rear heat shield element is holed. The original metal weave laminate style has been replaced with what looks like thick grey cardboard. See below

Pondering the job this afternoon it seems the plastic header tank and ignition rail comes off and plugs out, under tray off and loosen the manifold / exhaust clamp before attempting to undo the 12 brass manifold nuts. Space is extremely tight and a snapped stud would be a disaster, probably resulting in removal of the cylinder head to rectify. No way could you drill it out and re-tap the thread with the head in situ.

Alternatively.

1. The car is due an Inspection 1 service and a 5 year / 7k mile cam belt so do I ask the BMW dealer to fit them at the same time ? Although if they break a stud and the head comes off I assume I will pay for it.

or

2. Just live with a holed heat shield and the associated OCD.

felix

Z1 roadster

Re: Manifold heat shields

Post by felix »

Given your garage how could possibly be even thinking there is more than one answer?! :)
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

Hi Bluebaur has a solution that looks good and doesn't require removal of the manifold.

I changed the manifold gaskets on a z1 last year, Shall we say it was character building. :head:

There is a tool that allows the drilling and re-tapping of the cylinder in situ .. but you do need a 90 degree head drill.

The pictured broken stud is at the rear of the engine near the bulkhead.

ImageThe nuts and studs are available as a set.

Good luck!!
urzzz

Z1 roadster

Post by urzzz »

I don't know anything about nuts or studs, but I wonder if your coolant is a bit low? I understood that the arrows marked the 'minimum'. No doubt would be picked up at Inspection 1 anyway, but maybe one to keep an eye on. Toby
"There are roadsters, then there is the Z1", Brett Fraser, Car Magazine Aug 1989
"The BMW is simply superb", LJK Setright, Car Magazine, Apr 1990
"It's impossible to drive without a smile", Rowan Horncastle, TopGear.com Sep 2017
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

My coolant always goes down when cold and up to the line when warm :-)

The studs do have a tendency to break, as well as unwinding themselves occasionally. I have not long ago done all of this on my 318is, where the manifold was cracked and needed welding. I got it off and removed all the studs to replace as a precaution. All came out like good boys and girls, so I was lucky.

Personally, I would suppress the OCD and live with it. It could be a bitch of a job (simple enough if all goes well) and my thoughts would be that sooner or later you'll need to do something that necessitates a head-off or engine-out job, at which point it comes into play as another little job to add to the list of things you'd do if you had to.

M20's tend to blow head gaskets and crack heads. One of us will, sooner or later experience this and that is a perfect opportunity to attend to nasties like this one. Till the, for me at least it is another of those dogs that continue to sleep soundly :roll:
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

TJS wrote: Tue 10 Apr, 2018 20:00 They are not leaking however, the rear heat shield element is holed. The original metal weave laminate style has been replaced with what looks like thick grey cardboard. Just live with a holed heat shield and the associated OCD.
OCD is usually triggered by the 'visible', so as the gasket isn't the issue, and its the heatshield that bugs you out, cut away the shield leaving the gaskets in situ. Cut a new gasket leaving the shield, combine the 2 with an invisible join, no more OCD.

After 28 years and 30k miles, I wouldn't attempt to remove those nuts unless necessary.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

[/quote]

OCD is usually triggered by the 'visible', so as the gasket isn't the issue, and its the heatshield that bugs you out, cut away the shield leaving the gaskets in situ. Cut a new gasket leaving the shield, combine the 2 with an invisible join, no more OCD.

After 28 years and 30k miles, I wouldn't attempt to remove those nuts unless necessary.
[/quote]

Couldn't put it better myself. Get therapy for the OCD TJS and don't worry about your nuts :D
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Thanks to all for the advice and input. Hmmm...

I used the car yesterday for the first time in 18 months (good to see you Sam) and it runs perfectly. It's the rear heat shield which is holed, it just bugs me.

Patching with the heat shield element of the new gasket is an option but there is not a lot of the old shield to rivet to. Having recently rectified a broken rear manifold stud on another straight 6 (Land Rover) I know what Ivor means about "character building". Luckily a nut could be tacked onto the remains of the stud and it came out. As usual the job evolved into a longer list of tasks on the "may as well why were are here" principal to include de-coke, head skim, new head gasket, water pump rebuild, manifold gasket, new exhaust values and stem seals. Something I would prefer avoid on the Z1.

On balance I don't think I am going to risk a problem on replacement but will fit a couple of thermal sleeves over the two plugs leads above the hole. They worked well on the TVR which had almost nuclear levels of engine bay heat. This will also give me time to attend CDO therapy, (the acronym letters need to be in alphabetical order) and attend to my other nuts.

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

TJS wrote: Mon 23 Apr, 2018 10:34 This will also give me time to attend CDO therapy, (the acronym letters need to be in alphabetical order) and attend to my other nuts.
:D :D
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Good to see you too TJS. I'm glad the nuts are OK and I agree re the shields. In any case, I reckon you'd need a licenced asbestos removal contractor in to do it for you.....

Got as far as Chuny-sur-Semois, Belgium in one piece in the 911. Oh ye of little faith !:-)!
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

With the new heat shields sitting on the bench goading me to fit them and break a manifold stud, or two, I finally put them away and bottled out by fitting heat sleeves over the two plug leads above the holed heat shield.

bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

My heatshields have long gone.... thinking about installing a new header, then they would be replaced anyway...

my OCD is killing me on this, thanks for reminding me...

Robert
TJS

Z1 roadster

Re: Manifold heat shields Z1

Post by TJS »

Roger, good to see you on Saturday and thanks for the tip on the heat shield. Job done, a template, wifes garden secateurs to trim the gasket and then clamped in place and riveted over the old gasket.

sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

That's a job well done! Great idea too if it avoids messing with 30 year old studs in the head and all the attendant hassle they bring.

Great to see you all on Saturday, despite the very un-Zed like weather.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Nice job TJ.

Great to see you all Saturday.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

Would it be possible to scan 1:1 the template and share it? @TJS

Anyone has the front as well?

Robert
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Robert.

The heat field is part no. 11621723655 - "Gasket with heat protection - asbestos free". They are not expensive c.£13 each and the same part fits both the front and rear sections of the manifold.

The easiest option would be to buy the new part(s) and draw around it to make the basic card template and then adjust the depth of the pattern and "cut outs" around the plug leads relative to the hole you need to cover in the existing damaged heat shield. Similarly, mark the required fixing holes so that they avoid the existing damaged area and then cut away the manifold gasket element of the new part where. You may find the pattern and fixing holes may differ slightly against the engine / plug lead side for each heat shield. Alternatively simply cut away the angled element of the new part along the curve, I doubt it would make any real difference and it would not be visible if not exact.

Small clamps would be ideal hold the parts together to drill the holes and fix the rivets, alternatively masking tape may hold but will probably mark the top surface of the new gasket which has a thick cardboard consistency rather than the old asbestos plate.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

Thanks!!!

Good tip. going to see if I can source those through my local garage

Robert