Z1 - crack repairs

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Gazza

M roadster S54

Z1 - crack repairs

Post by Gazza »

What’s the best repair solution ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Jet

blank

Re: Z1 - crack repairs

Post by Jet »

Kossyk repair kit is pretty good, however I would say it depends where it is and how far its progressed.

Wings, inspect regularly, once it starts drill a small hole at the base to stop it progressing, then use the repair kit. Then strengthen all 4 mounting holes as a precaution and renew the rubber grommets.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The crack is on the sill panel inline with the rear of the door, about 3" long now.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Gazza, if you do decide against a repair is this any help?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z1-NEARS ... Sw4GVYIPPJ

Doubt this is available from BMW

Not sure if this eBay item is still available? (been listed a while now) unfortunately it's green not red.
urzzz

Z1 roadster

Post by urzzz »

A right hand side is also available on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z1-Side- ... Sw2hNZtYyk
Or you can do what I did and go for carbon fibre from: edeldesign-tuning.de
I haven't received the sill yet tho', so I don't know:
a. how well it fits
b. what it looks like painted (will it show differently from plastic?)
Will keep you posted
Toby
"There are roadsters, then there is the Z1", Brett Fraser, Car Magazine Aug 1989
"The BMW is simply superb", LJK Setright, Car Magazine, Apr 1990
"It's impossible to drive without a smile", Rowan Horncastle, TopGear.com Sep 2017
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

urzzz wrote: Wed 07 Mar, 2018 13:13 A right hand side is also available on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z1-Side- ... Sw2hNZtYyk
Or you can do what I did and go for carbon fibre from: edeldesign-tuning.de
I haven't received the sill yet tho', so I don't know:
a. how well it fits
b. what it looks like painted (will it show differently from plastic?)
Will keep you posted
Toby
It will be interesting to know, because carbon fibre is stiffer than plastic. I don't know if the sill twists when it is on the car. If it does, you could have issues. Nice solution if it works. A fully carbon-fibre Z1 would be a thing of beauty.
Pingu
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Gazza wrote: Tue 06 Mar, 2018 21:07 The crack is on the sill panel inline with the rear of the door, about 3" long now.
I had the same problem, MOT guy jacked car up resting on sill, had mine repaired, they did a very good job. Grind down both sides, rebuilt with layers of flexible material, then painted back and front.

Suggest removing sill and store safely, any further movement and crack will extend.
Emek

M roadster S50

Post by Emek »

Plastic welding, I saw Z1 repaired front wings by this method, it is the best solution.
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Post by SAM19 »

Hello, I'm going to remake my wings of my z1 by welding them with plastic and inside put a layer of fiber and a layer of carbon fiber to strengthen everything I will send you the photos soon thank you :squeeze:
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

Intresting will follow the proces. Thanks
urzzz

Z1 roadster

Post by urzzz »

Pingu wrote: "A fully carbon-fibre Z1 would be a thing of beauty"
It seems that edeldesign tuning agreed, because they've gone and built one. I'd attach a photo, but don't know how to do it.
Unfortunately all this glamour seems to have distracted them from sending my new lower sill, so no update on that yet.
Will let you know once its here and/or on the car
"There are roadsters, then there is the Z1", Brett Fraser, Car Magazine Aug 1989
"The BMW is simply superb", LJK Setright, Car Magazine, Apr 1990
"It's impossible to drive without a smile", Rowan Horncastle, TopGear.com Sep 2017
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Post by SAM19 »

Hi everyone! Then I had my girls back before and back. I had the wings welded with plastic and put on carbon fiber cloth with epoxi resin, great result and much stronger
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Post by SAM19 »

can you tell me how to put the photos or if I can send them to a member of the forum for him to thank them
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Host your pics on imgur.com or similar then paste a link in your post
Gazza

ImageImage
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Post by SAM19 »

hello, gazza I can not put the photos I can leave my email address and I send them to you? thank you bdpae@yahoo.fr :dunce:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Ok, click on my name and you will see ‘send Gazza an email’
Gazza

ImageImage
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Post by SAM19 »

hello gasza j really not sent email on the forum, you sent me an email on my box for me to respond with photos thank you (I'm not a computer genius) :head: :colourful:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The photos you sent are not of crack repairs ?
Gazza

ImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Pics supplied by sam19
Gazza

ImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Any pics of the plastic welding ?
Gazza

ImageImage
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Post by SAM19 »

hi gasza thank you for the photos, I first sold the cracks with plastic and then covered with the interior of carbon fiber to be more solid thank you
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here's a "miracle glue" for ABS plastics.
Google MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)
This is commonly used by plumbers to bond ABS plastic pipes. A clear liquid solvent which acts quickly on ABS.
I recently bought 2 wheel arch liners from Spurs Fan in a Coupe. He had to ship them to me in Johannesburg - South Africa.
Because they are so large, the cost of shipping was massive, so I asked him to cut each liner into 3 pieces which he did, thus making a smaller more compact package.
The parts have arrived now and on Monday I will be collecting a 500ml can of MEK from a local chemicals supplier.
It will bond ABS easily and cleanly. Using it as a "glue" edge to edge may not prove very successful since most ABS components only exhibit a 2mm thick edge. In my case, I will apply a "band aid" solution to rejoining the three pieces. I will use a 40mm wide strip of donor ABS to span the cut line on both faces. It will bond the ABS in around 3 minutes to a solid unbreakable join.
So, if you have a situation where you can fit a "patch / band aid" type solution to your break where one side will be hidden from view, you might save a huge amount of frustration by using MEK as a bonding liquid.
Hope this gives some food for thought.
Alternative ~2.
If you're going the "welding" route, try using the mesh from an old flour sieve to act as a patch across the break. The steel mesh can be embedded into the plastic by heating it with a gas flame and then pressing it into the plastic. Once done, you can apply more molten plastic over the mesh and sanding / finishing / painting once it has cooled. Using the steel mesh provides a stronger end result than simply welding the joint.
Materials for welding:-
I use black cable ties for "welding rods". They are generally made from black ABS and are thin enough to use an electric soldering iron as the heating source and as the welder. It remains flexible after application. Make sure you also melt some of the surface you are repairing so that the new plastic mixes into and bonds with the item / surface you are repairing.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

You can make ABS glue if you mix ABS chippings with acetone.

https://www.matterhackers.com/news/how- ... and-slurry

The glue can be coloured to suit the part being glued.
Pingu
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Thanks guys, really good suggestions 👍🏻
Gazza

ImageImage
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

SAM19 wrote: Thu 10 May, 2018 01:33 hi gasza thank you for the photos, I first sold the cracks with plastic and then covered with the interior of carbon fiber to be more solid thank you
Hi Sam, when you covered the inner of the Wing with Carbon Fibre, did you not remove the Carbon Fibre once hardened then use some Epoxy Resin to bond them together? As I wouldn’t imagine that alone would bond the Carbon to the inner Wing and might work loose over time due to hot or cold weather which will cause the Plastic Wing to expand and contract?
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
SAM19

Z1 roadster

Post by SAM19 »

Hello saddened for l abssence some forum j was sick, yes it n have no good idea to put of the fiber has l inside