Resurecting an Orinnoco 2.8

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
blinky

Z3 roadster 2.8

Resurecting an Orinnoco 2.8

Post by blinky »

Hi Everyone,,
Looking forward to chatting with you guys/gals. Im the proud owner of a orinnoco 2.8. Its been in storage for 3 years and Im going to go through it bit by bit.. Everything works but my first issue is the speed sensors I think. Im going to replace all the disks pads and sensors,,sound like a plan?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Resurecting an Orinnoco 2.8

Post by Del »

Hi and welcome. That 2.8 engine has a reputation for being very tough - some might say "bullet-proof". Enjoy the car. :)
blinky

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by blinky »

Thanks Del.
Gotta say I love it,, big boys toy I guess. Its great to get something You have always wanted. Its my project and a good way to get to know the car inside out.. The abs light is on but I think when I overhaul the brakes and sensors it should be ok, the light wasn't on when it was parked up.

Does anyone know how many 2.8 Orinocco editions were made? The biggest challenge I have is the paint work, Oxidation in a lot of areas which let the car down. Im going to research the best way to bring the original paint back again.

Cheers . Neil
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Welcome ask away with any questions, I’m sure someone on here will be able to answer them.
You can get a reset tool for the abs light of eBay for very little money. It is sometimes the yellow connection under the seat that is rusty or come unplugged.
blinky

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by blinky »

Thankyou Fender
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

If the car is drivable I would run around for a few miles, the ABS light may go off.

Do the discs/pads need replacing ?

The sensors can be a bit tricky to release so use some WD40 and soak for a while.

As suggested you can get fairly cheap diagnostic equipment from eBay, you’ll need the connector cable to fit the diagnostic OBD port under the bonnet, the interior OBD port dies very little.

Welcome to the forum :)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
blinky

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by blinky »

Thanks for advice,,
Ill try the run it for a while idea but I'm going to replace brakes as a matter of course after standing for 3 years.