Bilstein B6 on stock springs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
hgg

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Bilstein B6 on stock springs

Post by hgg »

Hi,

I have the Z3 1.9i 2002 with stock springs (non sport) and its time to replace the shocks.
I do not want to lower the car (terrible roads) so I will be using the stock springs.

According to official Bilstein my only options are either the B4 which is OEM or the B8.
The B8 though is tuned for lower springs so I am thinking on using the B6 instead.

Every store here in Greece is suggesting the B8 and are telling me that if I use
the B6, the front of the car will sit taller at least 1cm because of the high pressure
of the B6s. If this is the case I will reduce the aerodynamic profile of the car and I
do not wan't to do that either.

Does anybody have any experience with this setup? B6 with stock springs?
Do you think that they will raise the front?

Thanks.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Bilstein B6 on stock springs

Post by mrscalex »

Over on .Org Monroe Reflex shocks are a popular, cheap and well proven solution including on cars with bigger engines than your own.

I've used them myself. Having previously been very hung up on what Bilsteins to buy. I like them.

So save yourself a load of cash and headaches by considering these. You should get change out of £250 if you shop around.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
hgg

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by hgg »

They might be good indeed but on my other car which is a BMW 316 E36 when I replaced
the stock shocks with the B6s the result was simply amazing! Perfect sporty road handling
without sacrificing comfort. That is why I am looking for the same shocks.

If they raise only the front of the car I would definitely avoid this upgrade.
Maybe someone in the forum has already done this upgrade and can share its experience.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I think you may be over-specing the shock if you are keeping factory springs. Perhaps even risking mis-matching if the Bilstein has a shorter stroke and expects a shorter spring.

But this is not one of my areas of expertise so hopefully others can give you firmer advice.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
hgg

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by hgg »

According to Bilstein the B6 has the same stroke as stock and they actually
advertising it for use with stock springs. The strange thing is that when you
go to Bilstein's website first page and select "I want to improve my car's handling
and performance", then select the Z3 1.9i 2002, they offer you B12 and B6,
but if you choose the "Browse Online Catalog", top right corner, they suggest
B4 and B8... :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I suspect that the B4/B6 versus B8 confusion is caused by the optional M Sport suspension (20mm lower and shorter firmer shock) fitted to some standard cars from factory. I suspect that application charts struggle to articulate these differences.

When I replaced my shocks I found that they were so worn (after 80K and a lengthy life) that fitting the OE equivalent Sachs Super Touring, made an immense difference. Personally, I would go for B4s (on a standard spring) for normal road use. I've known people who run a Z3M and go for an occasional track day, run a B6.

Nothing wrong with B6, they have a very good reputation, but they are expensive and may be more than you need for normal road use.
hgg

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by hgg »

"I suspect that the B4/B6 versus B8 confusion is caused by the optional M Sport suspension (20mm lower and shorter firmer shock) "

I guess you are right.
Almost certainly I will go for the B4s unless I find a solution that will not raise the front with the B6.