My nearside light cluster has water in it.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Pele no2

Z3 roadster 1.9i

My nearside light cluster has water in it.

Post by Pele no2 »

Hi, my 2001 z3 unfortunately has to stop out over the winter. I have just recently noticed water in the nearside rear light. It looks like it maybe comes in when running down the side of the boot and do I take it a gasket has given up and it’s getting in there?

Thanks, Mark.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: My nearside light cluster has water in it.

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Take the light cluster off and use your powers of deduction! I think you will find that the lens is glued to the body, so look for an area showing signs of algie etc. Perhaps you will be able to dribble a bit of Araldite onto the back of the faulty area through the bulb hole.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Hi, I had similar problems with my old Volvo 740. Same technical design, water is supposed to flow over the rear light. I suggest that you take out all light bulbs and remove the rear light. Put a heater fan (or a hairdryer) in front of the holes for the bulbs. Keep a good distance, avoid melting the plastic. Better to dry for 2 hours than melting plastic.
Probably the rubber gasket is poor. Buy a bottle of spray wax, the kind of wax you use for rust protection of cars. Spray or paint a thick layer on the rubber gasket, and reassemble the light. It helped on my old Volvo. Vax is better than silicone, because it will be easy to remove the rear light again, if needed.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

To make it clear:
You should use the White/transparent real wax, used for the rust protection, often used on the side sills to be applied straight on the paint. Not any "dirty dark brown / black stuff"
Pele no2

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Pele no2 »

Thanks for the advice, I’ll take off the unit this weekend and have a close inspection.👍
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Don’t know if you’ve done it already but I had the same problem with both rear light clusters. The unit is held against the rear body with a couple of bolts. In between is a sponge gasket that held in with double sided sticky which comes unglued. I took mine off and dried it all out then just used a small bead of silicon sealant and bolted it back on. Once dried it has been fine for two winters. You could buy new sponge gaskets if you prefer but I’m a firm believer in repair not replace. When I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Dazthephot is suggesting the same solution for the problem, but using silicone sealant. I prefer, as I wrote, white/transparent rust protection wax, because this will make it possible to remove the cluster rather easily, if needed. Maybe the case will be that you buy a new gasket, then the wax can easily be removed by solvent.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

LaRy wrote: Thu 04 Apr, 2019 06:50 Dazthephot is suggesting the same solution for the problem, but using silicone sealant. I prefer, as I wrote, white/transparent rust protection wax, because this will make it possible to remove the cluster rather easily, if needed. Maybe the case will be that you buy a new gasket, then the wax can easily be removed by solvent.
My theory was that because it's fitted as a seal and not really removable that's why i chose a thing bead of silicon which is easily removed but you're right for future serviceability the wax is a good choice. Mine was so bad that water running down the upper boot drainage channel was actually filling up the cluster and pouring into the boot adding to my existing problems of the third brake light poor seal. Once i'd sorted these two issues i've had a completely dry boot even in the heaviest of rain falls. :)