Inlet Camshaft Sensor M54 engine

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Inlet Camshaft Sensor M54 engine

Post by Bumpa »

Last night my 2002 Z3 2.2 was a pig to drive, continually stalling at junctions and with delayed response to the throttle. This morning its fine, but there is a fault code for the inlet camshaft sensor, which I have cleared.

Assuming I have to change the sensor soon, must I buy the expensive BMW part 12147539165 for £120, or will the Febi Bilstein part be good enough at a much more reasonable £26.69? What about Haas at £38.99 or Dephi at £84.99?

Incidentally, the car has always been easy to stall when reversing. Is that likely to be the sensor as well? The car has the "fly-by-wire" throttle, and I have assumed that was the problem. All these electronic gadgets rather baffle me.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Inlet Camshaft Sensor M54 engine

Post by mrscalex »

Aftermarket sensors tend to have a bad reputation. But I think this is a sweeping generalisation.

There must be some good ones out there. The trouble is it's difficult to pin down what they are and even when you find one because of the way these suppliers work it may or may not stay that way. Someone like Febi could well be buying in stock from China and labelling as their own. One week it could be from supplier A and worth buying, the next they could have changed supplier and it's cr*p.

I don't think you have too much too lose at £27 trying.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

I've also got a 2.2 and was experiencing the same issues as you a couple of years ago, and after reading god knows how many forum postings, etc decided to go the OEM route and changed both sensors. I've just looked at my receipts and the sensors were about £90 each so the cost differential was not as big as it is now so not as difficult a decision. From memory replacing the sensor(s) isn't that difficult so as mrscalex says at £27 a pop you could try an aftermarket sensor, you might get lucky. If I was in the same situation now think this is what I would do.
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I was told some years ago to always use OEM sensors due to differing signals.

I have used aftermarket wheel speed sensors and they breakdown pretty quick.

Delphi are a good brand, I would go for that.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

I've found one made by NGK https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ngk/13771140 That ought to be OK - what do you think? It is £38.85.

Is it likely that changing this sensor will make the car less easy to stall when reversing?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Try cleaning the sensor of any ferrous particles stuck to the magnet side before spending money! These sensors act like magnetic drain plugs, and attract any small particles worn from the timing chain and sprockets.

My old 2.8 has a cable throttle, and I used to have the problem of stalling in reverse, but since I moved the seat a little further forwards it has gone - I think it was the effect of twisting my body to the left, and therefore reducing the load on the pedal.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, I had a similar problem with my Z3, and the fault code reader faulted the inlet sensor. I cleared the code twice and checked the connection. I replaced it will a Febi one and 3 years later it’s absolutely fine.. don’t wast your money on a genuine BMW one.
H
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

I've ordered a Delphi sensor for £30 from Aceparts on ebay. Delphi seem to have a good reputation. Thanks for your inputs.
Mike
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Well if it cures the fault at least you can be confident you've found the problem (and solution)!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

Update. The Delphi sensor came quickly and I have fitted it - not a difficult job, a bit fiddly but pretty easy. It has transformed the car. The throttle response is much crisper and it no longer wants to stall when reversing at low speed. RESULT. It's only taken 21 months to get to the bottom of this little issue. :colourful: