instrument light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
eclips

Z3 roadster 2.8

instrument light

Post by eclips »

hallo light in instrument ( dash bord ) and computer ,
when the car is started and head light is off , is fine light in it instrument and computer everything OK ,
but when i turn on head lighe switch goes the light down ca, 30 % , it is not the dimmer switch, it is OK ,

there si a resistor but where ?? i want full light but how ,, best regard Allan BMW Z3 2.8
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: instrument light

Post by LaRy »

I would say this is normal. In the old days, headlight was just switched on when it is dark. When it is dark, the light should go down in the dashboard. Today, we use the headlight different, and this "feature" has become a minor problem.
eclips

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eclips »

hej thank you very much for your answer ,, the damping function can be changed ??
does anyone have one wire diagram , best regard
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

I have cut one wire in the flat cable to the OBC to get rid of the damping function in the On board Computer. I think I cut the grey/rot, but are not sure any longer. But even with the electric wire diagram it is difficult to find a solution for the instrument cluster damping light feature, and I'm familiar with reading diagrams like that. I found the electric diagrams on internet free of charge some years ago and printed those pages, like 270 pages. Unfortunately I don't remember the source.
Search for "BMW Z3 Electric Troubleshooting Manual" and you will find some more or less free downloads.
I will continue to read my drawings!
eclips

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eclips »

OK TAK lARY ,,
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Links to various sources for the ETM arein the knowledgebase: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34176

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
eclips

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eclips »

tak Lary , i have looked at the link , but hard to understand ,
eclips

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eclips »

light in computer ( OBC ) i want bright light one tell what color in display , LARY told me earlier that i should cut a cord
on flat cabel to OBC , can any one tell what color need to be cut , BMW regards ALLAN
yellowz

blank

Post by yellowz »

Hi all, anyone find an answer to this, I drive with headlights on all the time and in bright daylight can't see the digital clock or radio display.
Have removed dimming function from light switch but the 'lights on' dimmer still operates, really would like to disable it.