Alarm issue with starting my Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wiltshiresaint

Z3 roadster 1.8

Alarm issue with starting my Z3

Post by Wiltshiresaint »

I have an alarm issue with my Z3 that doesn't seem to be covered anywhere on the forum and need some advice as to how to fix it.

The issue is when I try to start the car. When I turn the ignition key one 'click' all my electronics lights on the dashboard light up as normal, but as soon as I turn the key one more 'click' in the ignition barrel the lights die, the car alarm goes off and the engine doesn't even attempt to start. However, it's a muted version of the alarm that sounds rather than the extremely loud (and still funcntionally normally) alarm.

Turning the car alarm off using the 'off' button on the key fob does nothing to stop the muted alarm.

Am I missing something obvious? Can anyone suggest a solution?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Alarm issue with starting my Z3

Post by Robert T »

The muted alarm sound is what you get on the early alarms with a separate fob when the power is disconnected and and the siren runs on its backup battery.

Complete loss of power could be many things, but I am thinking possibly a stuck starter motor.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

As Robert T indicates, loss of power, or simply just an almost dead battery. I think everything in your description sounds like a discharged battery. Check the voltage! Below 12 volt, definitely poor. Or simply just turn on the headlight and check if those are totally dimmed when you try to start the engine.
bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

I would also check the alarm fob battery, I had very similar issue?
Bazza (East Dorset)
Wiltshiresaint

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Wiltshiresaint »

Thanks for the advice guys, I've checked and where necessary replaced the alarm batteries in the key itself and the key fob, and checked the car battery and they're all fine.

Unfortunately starter motor issues etc are beyond my technical competence. I think I've reached the end of the line :(