Too far gone?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Too far gone?

Post by dazthephot »

Hi all. I watch programmes like CAR SOS and am amazed at what they can do with rusted panels. What do you think of this, is it too far? It’s the NSF lower panel.

A new copy panel is £99 plus painting so I guess £300. The ones on eBay look rusty and marked.

Should I take it to a body shop or buy new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Too far gone?

Post by Gazza »

It would cost more than the price of the new panel for a body shop to repair it.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Ah right. Thanks for the advice.

bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

Have a go yourself, and if it goe's belly up get a new one nothing ventured nothing gained? have a look on Utube for how to repair?
I have just done some sills and was surprised how well they came out.

Good Luck
Bazza (East Dorset)
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

I agree with bazza, you could have a go yourself. I've just repainted a sill and the front bumper using Halfords spray paint and you really can't see the difference to the original paintwork. As always preparation and patience is the key.
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Thanks guys much appreciated. You’re right of course nothing ventured and all that.

LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Finally when ready for the paint, I have an advice I read somewhere. I knows it is making a very good result:
First a layer of primer, or two.
Spray with the color until slightly wet, wait 5 minutes, yes, really check the time. Next layer after 5 minutes. Continue like that until you have minimum 4 layers of spray paint, always check the time.
Wait for 15 minutes, then add first layer of clear spray paint, wait 5 minutes. Continue with minimum 3 more layers of clear paint, always waiting exactly 5 minutes between each layer.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Thank you
LaRy wrote: Mon 27 May, 2019 19:54 Finally when ready for the paint, I have an advice I read somewhere. I knows it is making a very good result:
First a layer of primer, or two.
Spray with the color until slightly wet, wait 5 minutes, yes, really check the time. Next layer after 5 minutes. Continue like that until you have minimum 4 layers of spray paint, always check the time.
Wait for 15 minutes, then add first layer of clear spray paint, wait 5 minutes. Continue with minimum 3 more layers of clear paint, always waiting exactly 5 minutes between each layer.
Andyboy

blank.gif

Post by Andyboy »

Also, do it on a warm day. Cold and damp makes the paint 'bloom'. Cleanliness is key and Halfords do a good aerosol surface cleaner. Solid colours are easy and don't really need lacquer, metallics do. Dark metallics are OK, but lighter colours like silvers and golds are a nightmare. Rub down a used panel with 800 grit wet and dry and once the new paint has dried (give it a week), flat it with 2000 grit and then T Cut or a decent compound like 3M Fastcut Plus. Passing in a warm dust free environment and it won't need much flatting.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Thank you andyboy