central locking not working

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

central locking not working

Post by LookinFoolish »

Hi all,

firstly, merry Christmas to everyone. I'm glad the forum is up and running, i couldn't get to it a few weeks ago.

I came home from Uni to find that when i use my key to open my Z, the lock/latch doesn't open on both sides anymore, just the side you use the key on.

Any ideas? it was working fine when i last used it a few months ago.
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

at a guess i would say try your boot loom....had the same problem when i got mine
the badness makes me do it...!

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

?

Post by Mike Fishwick »

You do not give any real information - for example, does the internal locking button operate when you press the remote unlock?

If so, try pressing the door inwards before trying to open it, as the door catch may be sticking to the pin.

Try the simple things first.
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: ?

Post by LookinFoolish »

Mike Fishwick wrote:You do not give any real information - for example, does the internal locking button operate when you press the remote unlock?

If so, try pressing the door inwards before trying to open it, as the door catch may be sticking to the pin.

Try the simple things first.
Well i recently had to disconnect my battery so for now the remote unlocking doesn't work either because i've not re-programmed it and don't plan to just yet.

I just want the normal unlock to work on both sides.
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Do you have a key slot on the passenger's side or only on the driver's? Do you hear the boot lock open and close when you use the key?

If only 1 individual lock is working I would suggest the boot wiring or even just a fuse.

If you can hear the boot lock when you lock the doors I would say an actuator in the door that isn't working.
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re:

Post by LookinFoolish »

Wolverine_1999 wrote:Do you have a key slot on the passenger's side or only on the driver's? Do you hear the boot lock open and close when you use the key?

If only 1 individual lock is working I would suggest the boot wiring or even just a fuse.

If you can hear the boot lock when you lock the doors I would say an actuator in the door that isn't working.
Sorry for the late reply, i have just came back from uni and began working on my project-Z again :P I have a key slot on both passenger and driver side. I don't hear the boot lock open & close when i use the key.

Say for example the passenger side is locked and the driver side is locked, i will use the key to open the driver side, then my passenger side will remain locked. I have to physically go around to the passenger side and unlock that too.

How easy is it to fix?
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: central locking not working

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Last Picture in Thread

Felt fine but I still found three dodgy wires .......
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

I looked at my wiring, well, its got a load of black tape around it, so i assume the previous owner had the same problem. Each door + boot only open when you unlock each one individually. What should i try to do with the wiring? or does it need replacing?
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There are quite a few components to the central locking which can fail, so lets start with some simple checks:
  • What locks/unlocks when you operate the driver's door lock with the key
  • What locks/unlocks when you operate the boot lock with the key
  • What locks/unlocks when you press the drivers side door pin/pull the door handle
If both the boot lock and passenger door lock don't operate, it sounds more like the boot lid wiring. If it is just the doors, then it more likely to be actuators, and almost certainly actuators if you hear them try to operate. If the locking the driver's door with the key fails to trigger it, then it is more likely the switch. Having working remote locking provides another way of testing the central locking. Also make sure that the boot isn't deadlocked when testing.

Pictures of the wiring would help us tell you if it is BMW or an owner.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

Just looked and i can confirm;

1) Only driver door unlocks, boot + passenger door stay closed

2) only boot opens/unlocks, both doors stay locked

3) Only passenger door opens, boot + driver door stay locked

My keyfob isn't programmed right now because i had to take out battery a few months ago but when it was working, the keyfob unlocked all doors.

pic of wiring:

1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

That is not BMW wiring! I would peel the tape off carefully and have a look - easier than having to cut the plastic sheath. I would also check the fuses, as if the wires in that bundle have shorted, it could easily have blown and fuse disabling everything. If you're not competent at wiring, then an autoelectrician should be able to sort it for you. The replacement wiring harness is rather expensive and looks like it will be a bit of a pain to fit, as it has lots of connectors on it.

Cheers R.
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

Thanks Robert, i think an auto is my best bet, i'm not confident enough to delve into this problem! cheers for your help
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Peel back the tape and take a good look first prior to taking to an auto electrician.
You can easly tape it back up after. If the breaks are in there you will save yourself a bundle.
Well worth the 20 mins it took me to cure this exact same problem.
If all looks ok after a looksie then take it down the road and spend cash.
Please................ :cheers
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
houdini2005

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by houdini2005 »

did my drivers door central locking actuator today, thank god for the xray vision and being a Gynecologist in a previous life. :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

houdini2005 wrote:did my drivers door central locking actuator today, thank god for the xray vision and being a Gynecologist in a previous life. :D
I wouldn't have thought it would have been a problem for an escapologist. :wink:

Cheers R.
A Wicked Keeper

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by A Wicked Keeper »

Is it true as a generalisation that problems in the central locking system are going to be due to the boot loom wear ? My driver's door works on the key and locks the two others (boot and passenger door) but I have to press the key fob to engage the alarm. If I press the key fob, the boot and passenger door both lock and the alarm is activated, but the driver's door remains open but still is alarmed so I have to use the key in the door lock to engage the lock mechanism. The mechanisms and electrics inside the door have been checked and are fine, so it hs to be a fault somewhere else. Any thoughts ? Thanks. Andrew
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Sounds like the unlock signal to the driver's door is not getting through, or the driver's door actuator is not working. How did you test the wiring/electrics? Also, what happens when you lock and unlock from the boot? This should fire the central locking, the same as using the remote, but the trigger comes through a different bit if the loom.

Cheers R

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

A Wicked Keeper

Z3 roadster 1.9

Thanks for the interest and response.
The entire workings inside the driver's door from the electrical connections outwards were replaced temporarily by stripping everything from another Z3 known to be working. Mine all worked fine on the other car and the other car's didn't make any difference to mine. Everything was then returned to their original places and the status quo was restored. His worked. Mine didn't.

If you unlock mine at the boot using the key, the problem stays exactly the same - the alarm is triggered and the boot and the passenger door are locked but the driver's door remains unlocked but sets off the alarm if and when it is opened.

That's as far as I got. I'm looking at the boot wiring and wear at the point where it bends opening and closing the boot as the probable next line of enquiry. Comfortable with mechanical nuts and bolts, parts attachments etc. but am nervous about electric wiring beyond unplugging and re-connecting loom connections !

I need the car to work and don't want to set off airbags or have to reset computer settings because of sensors and things I don't really understand. I cut my teeth on an MGTD2 in 1968, then an MGA from 1973. They were rather different. You could take a bit of electric wire, a pair of pliers, a bit of sandpaper, a screwdriver and a few spanners in the tool box, and repair the car at the road side - which I did on several occasions. The 1981 MGBGT was more complicated, sometimes manageable, but the Z3 is is a minefield to me - and far too delightful a joy to risk any kind of explosion.
A Wicked Keeper

Z3 roadster 1.9

Bit odd, but the door actuator secondhand replacement we tried was also faulty. New actuator solved the problem. All is well. Lesson to learn there somewhere.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'm glad you've sorted it. If it wasn't the actuator, the next thing to have looked at was the wiring loom between the door and the chassis, as repeated flexation can cause wires to break.

Not too bad poking around Z3 electrics, as unless you are dealing with steering wheels or seats, you don't need to worry too much about airbags going off. I quite like to be able to interrogate the car for fault codes, but it is a little daunting to dive into the wiring loom, especially when compared with my other car, a 1959 Frogeyed Sprite, though even that has electronic ignition!

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

My central locking gave up the other day, investigated the boot loom and stripped back the outer cover to find wires chaffed revealing bare copper on a few of the wires, blew the fuse as well. Area of damage in the region of where the loom is clipped to the side. None of mine were broken so insulated each wire with tape and then used split plastic conduit to cover and secured with small zip ties. I did not clip the loom back but left it free enought to not get trapped when the boot lid is closed. Central locking restored to normal operation.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V