Remove original radio from 1991 Z1

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
compact

blank.gif

Remove original radio from 1991 Z1

Post by compact »

Hi

I have the original radio in my Z1 but is is not working so I need to get it repaired but I can not see how to remove it? anyone help? Its not the Z1 early radio but the later one! Thanks
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Re: Remove original radio from 1991 Z1

Post by Pat Slade »

Without knowing which radio was fitted to your car it is difficult to be emphatic on removal instructions.
BMW logod radios of the time were made by Blaupunkt, Alpine and Becker to name but three!
The common Blaupunkt fitting of the time has odd sized allen screws on either side of the face under small plastic hinged flaps. These are attached to metal brackets which expand to grip the sides of the common mounting sleeve.
Perhaps looking on the internet will enable you to identify the model number of the radio and then I am sure some BMW guru will be able to advise on the removal.
The original Sony Z1 radio is the only radio that was made specifically for the Z1. All the other radios I have seen fitted are often less than good installations. Removal of the RH console side is useful to gain limited access to ensure that when installing the radio does not foul cables and wiring.
Good luck.

Pat
compact

blank.gif

Re: Remove original radio from 1991 Z1

Post by compact »

Thanks Pat, I did it!!