Guide to roof adjustment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bugsy

M roadster S50

Guide to roof adjustment

Post by bugsy »

I'm looking for a guide for adjusting the roof. I can find roof replacement in the knowledge base and plenty of leaks near the windscreen.

But I have a wind noise near the rear of the driver side window (and a small drip when washing the car) which I would like to fix.
Searching the forum I can't find anyone mention a similar problem so I was hoping for a picture/video guide of roof adjustment.

I'm hoping it is a strap or screw that I could tighten.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Guide to roof adjustment

Post by mrscalex »

The only adjustment on the roof structure itself is the catch mechanism. This should be adjusted so there is decent resistance as the handle is pushed home.

There is arguably some adjustment from packing shims under the rear mounting points but that is set at the factory and shouldn't need to be touched.

If you have a leak it's unlikely to be fixed by roof adjustment. Window height adjustment maybe. But more typically the A-pillar plugs are leaking (easy fix) or the rear bulkhead butyl seals are gone (big job). Sometimes by adjusting the A-pillar window fit against the seals.

You need to tie down more precisely exactly where the leak is first, ie around window or from the rear bulkhead. Hope for the former.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
bugsy

M roadster S50

Post by bugsy »

I'll take a couple of pictures over the weekend so you can see the gap difference between the passenger & driver side seals and the windows.

The hood is probably the original but it is water proof and the seals look healthy.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The rear bulkhead seals are hidden so you have no way of knowing the condition other than implied by whether they leak or not. Hopefully this is not where your leak is.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
bugsy

M roadster S50

Post by bugsy »

I'm not really worried about a leak. It doesn't leak in the rain - I get a drip when washing the window with the hosepipe shooting horizontal water.

It's the wind noise when driving - just by my right ear. It's not deafening, but the passenger seat is much quieter.
I'll put some pictures up and we can discuss.

Have a good weekend Mr Scalex.
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Could it be that the rubber seals on the soft top side have compressed with age? I have heard of people putting rope inside the rubber seals to pop them out a bit and get better sealing.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi,
It is also possible to adjust the compression of the window onto the rubber gasket. Under the speed-generated wind, a slight gap could generate a whistling noise. And of course facilitate water ingress.
Plenty of advice available on the forum on how to adjust the window.
Hope that helps,

Boosh.