White Smoke

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
compact

blank.gif

White Smoke

Post by compact »

I am getting white smoke when I start my Z1 it goes once I start using it, Anyone else get this? Its not the head gasket as no coolant missing and oil is perfect. it also runs and drives perfectly.
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: White Smoke

Post by pingu »

I would do a coolant pressure test.
Pingu
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

White smoke us usually water.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

It's not unusual particularly as the weather cools. Water vapour is a normal part of a petrol engine's exhaust; when the exhaust system and engine are cool the vapour is able to condense in the exhaust system and is visible from the tail pipe for a short time after start up. Assuming your coolant level stays constant you have nothing to worry about.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Yup. It's quite a big exhaust system and takes some heating up. While it is warming, your hot exhaust gasses cool and condense, rather like a domestic condensing boiler and you get the whispy steam as a result. I have had a head gasket go in an oily way on a car (not my Z1) and it is like a Formula 1 blow-up. Unmistakable and you'd immediately know the difference. Similarly our old E30 325 blew a head gasket in a watery way and that was very steamy, a bit like Casey Jones. You'd spot that too :-)

I always regard the 'steam zone' time period as a reminder to drive the car gently till it is properly warmed.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog