Seats. Quick question

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Seats. Quick question

Post by TJS »

I am currently discussing the repair of saggy Z1 seat cushions with a local trimmer (Allon White) https://allonwhite.co.uk/car-interiors-trimming

Like most Z1s the original material on the central seat cushion has come unstuck over the years and the objective is to re-attach the no longer available material to the foam base before it is stretched and damaged.

You will see from the photographs that the grey leather and cloth is backed with a 3mm layer of foam which forms the filling between the material and hard foam seat bases. The backing foam is also crumbling away from the material

The question is ... does the far more common and thicker Nubuck material also have a foam backing layer ? Similarly, was the last of the OEM yellow fabric also foam backed?

I will take one of my seats to AW next week so they can come up with a solution in terms of a repair process and any stabilising material. They are of course happy to repair other Z1 seat cushions and I will post up the results and price in due course. Let me know if you would be interested.

TJS

Z1 roadster

Re: Seats. Quick question

Post by TJS »

urzzz

Z1 roadster

Post by urzzz »

Very snazzy pattern you have there, good luck with the re-trim. I can confirm that the OEM yellow cloth also has the 3mm backing (looks more like felt than foam in my case). Mine was retrimmed last year by b-trim in Enfield, who did a pretty good job - i don't remember how much they charged, but it wasn't cheap because of the way the original is glued in.
"There are roadsters, then there is the Z1", Brett Fraser, Car Magazine Aug 1989
"The BMW is simply superb", LJK Setright, Car Magazine, Apr 1990
"It's impossible to drive without a smile", Rowan Horncastle, TopGear.com Sep 2017
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

urzzz wrote: Fri 06 Dec, 2019 16:55 I can confirm that the OEM yellow cloth also has the 3mm backing (looks more like felt than foam in my case).
That wasn't the case with my yellow cloth, it was just material both sides, no foam/felt It was however from a previous batch before they remanufactured the cloth "urzzz" bought.

One tip I did whilst my seats were out was to swap over the parts like bolsters and seat pads of the drivers seat to the passenger side to equalise wear.

Good luck with the Retrim, be interesting to see the results.

Garage looking good TJS :D
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Wow! I think we just found a location for the next technical day. :shock: :shock:
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Interesting to hear BMW have produced a new batch of the yellow seat material (now with foam layer). I wonder if the grey tweed material has also been produced, or if there any demand given it is much more hard wearing than the other non nubuck seat fabrics. What is the red cloth like in terms of wear?

The trimmers are happy they can stabilise the old foam layer on the material and may also add a thin fabric layer to it if required.

The plan is to get the cushions over to them end of January once my new ceramic hip fitted during the week allows a little more movement to unbolt and lift the drivers seat out of the car.

I will post up results in due course.

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas everyone.

TJS
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Seat bases are back from the trimmers and time to reassemble everything using silicone grease on the moving parts and new copper hog rings rather than the rusty steel originals.

Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi TJS,

be carefull with using silicone grease or other products, that contains silcone.

Silicone evaporated and covers the entire interior with a very thin film of silicone. When you have top repair a screatch in the leather parts later, you will have a lot of problems to put something like Leather-Fresh onto the surface. The normal leather cleaner will not remove this thin silicone layer.

There is a reason why you will not find any silicone product in a good paintshop ...: wink:

best regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image