Odd window problem won't work from switch

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
acaciolo

Z1 roadster

Odd window problem won't work from switch

Post by acaciolo »

My doors and windows are working perfectly (and were just rebuilt) except for 1 feature that hasn't worked since I purchased the car:

When the door is up, I cannot lower the window via the window switch. If I open the door with the handle, push button on dash (magic doors) or pull the door lever, the door drops and the window drops. If I use the key outside, the window drops no problem.

So, my first thought was to change the switch with the passenger side. That didn't change anything. Then we changed the window ECU with the other side, that also didn't change anything. We checked continuity on the wire from the switch to the window ECU and it was good.

So for some reason, when the driver's side window ECU gets the down signal from the switch, it won't operate. It isn't a big deal since I will have the doors down 99% of the time, but I'd still like to fix it.

Note..when UDO was here, we worked on this for about an hour and we couldn't figure it out. He was going to send me a window ECU with a bluetooth module that would log what was happening, but with his passing, I don't know if that will still happen.

any ideas? thanks!
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Re: Odd window problem won't work from switch

Post by a1z1 »

Good afternoon,

I have a test I would like you to try.
open the door with either the inside lever or outside button.
While the door is opening or closing operate the lever/ button again.

Does the door follow the command given?

Does this match the other side of the vehicle.
Will magic doors only open and close door/window complete or will it open the window only.

Please report back with your findings.

Best wishes
Ivor
acaciolo

Z1 roadster

Re: Odd window problem won't work from switch

Post by acaciolo »

Both sides work the same. When I push the outside button and the door/window starts to move, if I push the button again, the door/window will immediately change directions.

The magic doors (as you probably know) are simply an actuator (motor) that pulls on the linkage rod. So there isn't really anything electrical added to the path, as the magic doors button just triggers the motor which pulls the actuator rod. When I push the magic doors buttons, the entire door and window go up and down together.

everything seems to work perfectly, except the damn down button to lower the drivers side window.

thanks for the help!