A French TV series about restoring a car model

Today, BMW Z1.

https://1fichier.com/?dtv84m2iiwkqu6u8m3ot&af=105612

High speed download

Language: French

@S@P under the sun without Covid19 ...
TJS

Z1 roadster

Re: BMW Z1 @ Vintage Mecanic (TV series)

Post by TJS »

Thanks, interesting video.

So ... I guess replacement of the original rubber driveshaft universal joint (26111225624) is now a preventive maintainence task. Doesn't look to be a solo DIY task. Asking my wife if she fancies rolling around on the garage floor for a couple of hours may have elicited a positive and productive response 25 years ago but now results in a raised eyebrow, even if I can convince her the floor is clean.

Anyone replaced this? How long does it take ? Maybe an agenda item for the next socially distanced technical day.
a1z1

Z1 roadster

Post by a1z1 »

TJS wrote: Sun 24 May, 2020 10:22 Thanks, interesting video.

So ... I guess replacement of the original rubber driveshaft universal joint (26111225624) is now a preventive maintainence task. Doesn't look to be a solo DIY task. Asking my wife if she fancies rolling around on the garage floor for a couple of hours may have elicited a positive and productive response 25 years ago but now results in a raised eyebrow, even if I can convince her the floor is clean.

Anyone replaced this? How long does it take ? Maybe an agenda item for the next socially distanced technical day.
Maybe a job to tackle while on partial lockdown...

I have replaced the joint and am fortunate to have the luxury of a ramp.
It’s involved but opens up opportunities to replace other items.

The exhaust needs to be removed along with the differential so that the torque tube can be moved to access the rubber.

I would fit a new gearbox rear oil seal, selector shaft seal
and selector joint.
With the differential off you are closer to be able to remove the petrol tank allowing access to the fuel pipes that are getting old.

So it’s a marathon session on your back.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Tony,

Love it!

If Ivor has made you reconsider the advisability of tackling this major job can I respectfully suggest that it might be easier to persuade the wife to roll around on your, no doubt incredibly clean, garage floor.

A report will do, don't require the video!!!

Stay safe and keep entertaining us.

Pat
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

I really enjoyed this Vintage Mecanic as it seems that job was perform seriously.
To come back to the point of enjoying change of driveshaft universal joint :D , I never had any issue on previous BMW even sold at 300 000 km nor on my other babies from the 80.

I think such part is really ageing bad with shearing effect if car is driven roughly as rubber is absorbing shock at each gear change
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Hi Fred, good to hear from you.

With the car up in the air I got the chance to have a good look at the rubber U/J and it was in very good condition. So no need to replace, much to my wife's relief.

With BMW dealers now unwilling or unable to take on Z1 Inspection 2 servicing I decided to do it myself. It's all very straight forward and, like most Z1s, predicated on time rather than annual mileage. My last Inspection 2 was 7 years and 6,000 miles ago against recommended 4 year intervals, So ...

A new set of the correct Bosch plugs were ordered off the internet, arrived and returned. I don't think you are supposed to be able to peel the Bosch logo off the ceramic body of the plug !! A new set of NGK ZGR5A went in .. eventually. The HT lead on plug 6 (nearest the bulkhead) came off far too easily and the long reach plug socket was unable to pick up the plug. Much swearing. Transpires the rubber insert within a BMW tech's plug socket is missing as it was still on the spark plug. I will post it back to the dealer with a note.

Valve clearances checked (0.25mm) and 4 adjusted. The 4 rubber rocker shaft fence plugs were replaced along with a new cover gasket. Cylinder compression all within a 5% range.

Rotor arm checked, cleaned and reinstalled.

Coolant drained flushed a refilled. Note; You need to remove the petcock on the engine block under the manifolds to fully drain the system and the heater which holds c. 50% of the 10.7 litres. Bleed the system via the valve on the top of the thermostat. If you remove the stat you will need a new rubber O ring gasket.

Cambelt looked in mint condition after 6k miles so I left it alone.

Gearbox oil (mobile SHC 630 from Bluebaur) was in very good condition and clear as was the oil in axle final drive. 1.25 ltr & 1.7 ltr respectively. Replaced with Redline MTL. The grooved magnetic gearbox drain plug was full and so cleaned before being replaced and all plugs fitted with fresh aluminium crush washers

Oil (BMW Castrol 0w10) replaced with the recommended 15w50 synthetic and a new filter. The old filter put up a honourable resistance to being removed.

Fuel filter is made by Mann with a BMW stencil @ £49.50 alternatively the same filter (WK 516) without BMW logo is £22.

The 2 V belts were replaced with new and the old but good condition ones put in the centre of the space saver wheel as emergency spares.

Lights, wipers all good

Brake fluid replaced albeit it was within an acceptable range for water content when checked. Hand brake tension good.

Brake pads, discs and drive shaft & steering rack gaiters all good as were PAS and visible rubber fuel lines.

Air filter is a newish K&N so fine.

Several annoying rattles were hunted down and fixed. A loose front air inlet in the nose, rear shock plastic tube and fuel filler flap and two missing rubber wing mounting grommets. The new recently in stock BMW grommets at £6 each are rubbish. The original alloy crush tubes are now rusty steel and are not wide enough.

The worst part of the job is correctly re fitting the two under trays on a solo basis. More swearing.

Total cost of oils, fluids, gaskets, spark plugs, filters and sundry fittings came to £375 excluding the £12 BMW usually charge for the screen wash.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

I usually state with every car that they are not allowed to fill up the screenwash before the service, if they do it anyway i make them take it of the bill...

So annoying that they do that.

Good service, seems you have the right garage as well to do it your self.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

@TJS, can you book mine in for service :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

This car on the picture has alu wishbones in the front.
Is it possible to change the 2 joints and safe de whisbone. New ones are expensive.
Alternatieve is to buy steel ones.