2001 Z 3 Key and radio problems

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

2001 Z 3 Key and radio problems

Post by Bertie »

Hi
I seem to have gremlins in my electrics . I would appreciate any help .
Keys
I bought my Z last Fall. It came with two keys , both locked and unlocked the car manually
Key 1 would sometimes open and close the car from a short distance ,but usually would not
Key 2 simply would not .
Both keys " panic " buttons did nothing
Both keys little red lights flashed encouragingly when the open and lock pads were pressed.
The car was put away over the winter . This week I charged the car battery, changed both key batteries and started the car .
Initially there was no change in both key's operation.
Yesterday Key 1 sprang into life ! At first It operated with a hefty "clunk" very close to the car
As the day went on the range increased , by the end of the day Key 1 worked perfectly , but there was still no " panic" function
Key 2 was still dead
Key 1 opened and closed the car this morning , but has now stopped working
I have tried reprogramming both keys , using the method in the driver's manual with no success.
What is the next step ??
Radio
The standard BMW radio has an aftermarket Sirius Satellite addition. I I don't use the Sirius system , the subscription was cancelled ed when I bought the car , but the kit is still connected into the radio amplifier . I restarted the radio after the battery went flat over the winter , but it will only tune to French radio stations. In Quebec the FM band is tightly packed , French and English stations frequencies are close , often a powerful local station will crowd out a weaker signal,
Is there a antenna trimmer somewhere which would enable me to fine tune station selection ? or has BMW condemned me to Celine Dionne 24/7 ?? Please help .
Bertie

'
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: 2001 Z 3 Key and radio problems

Post by colb »

There are two methods to sync the keys here is a link to explain how to do both methods. Just remember you have to do both keys one after the other within a few seconds of each other to get them synced. Can't help with your radio problem.
https://www.youcanic.com/vehicle/bmw/pr ... y-fob-2517
If one method with the keys dosn't work try the 2nd method as per the instructions.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bertie »

Thanks colb
This is the procedure outlined in my owner's manual .Unfortunately it doesn't work with my keys .
Key 1 works most of the time at very short range .very occasionnaly it works properly .So I suppose it's not a blown fuse problem ?
Key 2 simply will not work .
The panic button will not work on either key .
I'm not sure how to test the alarm function and not sure if I want to , I might not be able to turn it off if it alarms !
Has any one found A Child's Guide to the Standard Radio ??
Thanks
Bertie
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

When you say "panic" button, what do you mean? On mine there are three buttons on the key, lock, unlock and light. The light button turns on the interior light without unlocking the car. Canadian alarm might be different, but just wanted to check that you were sure you had a "panic" function.

To test the alarm, lock with remote, unlock with key and open the door. Even if the remote won't stop the alarm, putting the key in the ignition and turning to position II should silence it. This was a feature on the later alarm which means you can still disarm the alarm even if the battery in the key goes completely flat.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bertie »

Robert
Thanks for your response . I have 3 button remote locking keys
I thought the 3rd button with wavy graphics was like my Honda's panic button - Press the button to flash the lights and sound the horn if approached by a big guy with a baseball bat in a dark garage .
State of play . Key 1 - Remote works some times , Key 2 Remote dead. Neither "panic button "works . Both keys open and lock manually .
Tested the alarm , following your procedure . Alarm is either inoperative , or was never fitted .
Life is too short to go down this particular rabbit hole of 20 year old electronic mysteries .
I will live with manual locking and no alarm to annoy the neighbors at 3 am .
It's time to drive the beast .
Cheers
Bertie
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bertie »

Hi
Having come to terms with the erratic key situation I decided to convert the radio from 24/7 Celine Dion to normal operation .My son unearthed a U Tube video showing how to install a Sirius Satellite radio . We reversed the sequence and uninstalled the Sirius unit .
Bingo , no more Celine , the radio and CD player now operate perfectly .
As a bonus today was a warm [ 12 C ] day , one of the keys actually worked reliably , locking and unlocking the car from a distance .
Perhaps I will try to fix the alarm next !!
Cheers
Bertie
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Glad the radio thing is sorted 8-)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: 2001 Z 3 Key, radio and alarm problems

Post by Bertie »

Hi
Radio problems resolved
Late Spring arrived in Montreal this week, at last .With the Sirius satellite radio uninstalled I was able to bomb around , top down with the radio and CD player running at anti social volume levels
Key problems improving
I still have only one working remote key fob ,which now works much more reliably, from a greater distance with the warmer weather!
Is this a lubrication problem , should I dribble WD 40 into the locks ??
The second key refuses to operate remotely, or follow the synchronisation procedure .I have changed the key battery, no change , What to do ??
Alarm , No progress
Neither key activates the Alarm .Did all Z3's have alarms fitted at the factory ?
With warmer weather I will find and check the alarm fuses .
If this does not work I will simply use the car as much as possible in our too short Summer season.
Cheers
Bertie
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Can't really comment on NA models, but if you have the key with the integrated buttons, then my belief is that it should have a factory alarm. The only real way to tell is to look for the siren in the engine compartment - could just be that this is fried - though the indicators should flash when the alarm is trying to sound. You can test by locking with the remote, then open with the key and as you open the door the alarm should sound.

One thing that I did notice, which may or may not be relevant, is that the range from which I could operate the alarm improved when I changed the car battery. The battery had been soldiering on for the last 19 years, with the car used pretty much daily, but in the end two weeks of Covid enforced non-driving saw it off. I had been having a few issues where sometimes the first press of the key didn't open the car, and that has now cleared up, along with increased range by changing the battery. Could be that the remote receiver circuitry is rather picky about to the battery voltage. Worth a check if you have a multimeter.

Duff key sounds like the car may have forgotten it, which can happen if the battery in it goes flat. It is worth looking for a different coding procedure, as they are different with different alarms.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bertie »

Robert
Thanks for your reply . The one key which works is now locking and unlocking properly , at least when the weather is warm .
The other key is still dead and will not lock or unlock remote.I have replaced the battery,the little red light flashes encouragingly ,but the key refuses to be recalibrated using the procedure in the owner's manual . Is there another way to reactivate the key ?
There is no alarm function from either key ., or from an alarm test . If I do have an alarm it's an original BMW unit .
I checked the battery , it's only two years old , no load voltage is 12.5 volts , Are there any spade connectors in the system which might be corroded , this used to be a problem with Joe Lucas electrics on my old British cars ,
Cheers
Bertie
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: 2001 Z 3 Key problems SUCCESS at LAST

Post by Bertie »

HI
I had decided to live with my erratic locking system .One key works , with a new battery and a fully charged battery on the car . The other refused to remotely lock and unlock the car . I had tried all the different mumbo jumbo key reactivation procedures I could find with no results
Yesterday in a fit of COVID boredom I tried the reactivation procedure in the Owner's manual yet again and It worked !!
I have no idea why , I had done this multiple times previously with no success .
I'm gradually running down the electrical gremlins in the car .I now have a Celine Dion free radio , two keys which will remotely lock the car ,
I'm inspired to look for the elusive alarm system !
Bertie
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Celine Dion free radio :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: NEW v 2001 Z 3 Key problems

Post by Bertie »

HI
I finally sorted my " Dead" Key 2 using the reprogramming procedure in the Owner's Hand book , which had previously failed to work . For a brief time I imagined that both Key 1 and Key 2 would lock the car remotely.
I tried Key 1 today , no remote action . Key 2 still locked the car
I then reprogrammed Key 1 , which now locks the car , BUT Key 2 which had worked , now will not lock the car !
So I reprogrammed key 2 successfully Now Key 1 will not lock !
Reprogramming both keys in quick succession produces the same result , one key works , the other is dead
It seems that I can have either one of my keys set to lock remotely but the other one will not lock .
Any suggestions please??
Bertie
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

When you are resynching the keys in quick succession, are you doing one key then switching the key in the ignition again and then doing the second key? If you are you will get the symptoms that you are getting.

Once you have done the first key and the locks have cycled, you quickly pick up the second key and push the magic button combination and the locks will cycle.
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: 2001 Z 3 Key problems

Post by Bertie »

Been there and done that :
Yesterday I did the key 1 reboot and take key 1 out quickly, before rebooting key 2 . This gave any 1 from 2 keys locking remotely ,and a choice of which key will lock remotely
Today key 2 works , but key 1 refuses to reboot !
Gremlin Attack ??
Bertie