Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
urzzz

Z1 roadster

Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB

Post by urzzz »

So I finally bit the bullet and bought the retro blaupunkt radio - thanks to TJS for drawing it to my attention.
First impressions:
Looks very smart - the plastic is a perfect match for the console and you can select an illumination that matches BMW orange well
Operates well (not perfect, but hopefully OK, only a drive will tell)
Sounds good - stationary at least
£400 is toppish pricing - it seems to be a £230 in fancy case - but there are few alternatives
I've tried to attach few photos (with apologies to TJS for the state of my garage) - but seem to get error messages
"There are roadsters, then there is the Z1", Brett Fraser, Car Magazine Aug 1989
"The BMW is simply superb", LJK Setright, Car Magazine, Apr 1990
"It's impossible to drive without a smile", Rowan Horncastle, TopGear.com Sep 2017

M coupe S50

Re: Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB

Post by 137699 »

I did think quite seriously about buying one of these as my z3 M Coupe came with a rather naff Sony stereo in it that just looked out of place and lit up the wrong colour.

But I decided that the SQR46 probably looked a little "too" retro for the Z3 - more suited to an E30 or E36, so instead refitted a BMW CD43 and added a Bluetooth interface kit to it.

Very happy with the look now.

urzzz

Z1 roadster

Post by urzzz »

Agree that the blaupunkt probably is too retro for the Z3 (especially with the tape slot) - CD43 looks good tho'
I'd love to post some photos of mine, but I get "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." - don't know how you got round it?
"There are roadsters, then there is the Z1", Brett Fraser, Car Magazine Aug 1989
"It's impossible to drive without a smile", Rowan Horncastle, TopGear.com Sep 2017
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You need to host your pics elsewhere and then paste a link to your post.

These hosts are commonly used

Flickr

Imgur
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage

M coupe S50

Post by 137699 »

Yeah I think the SQR46 will look spot on in the Z1. Need to see a photo!

BTW I use IMGUR to host my photos.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

137699 wrote: Mon 18 May, 2020 08:47 .... so instead refitted a BMW CD43 and added a Bluetooth interface kit to it.
What bluetooth interface kit did you use and how does it work?

Thanks
Mark

M coupe S50

Post by 137699 »

I used one of these - plugs into the CD changer port so you select CD on the headunit and it toggles between the CD slot and and the Bluetooth unit. Works really well!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Mu ... %7Ciid%3A1
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Thanks.

Looks like a really good solution.
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

The bluetooth interface kit looks like a good solution, however the problem with the Z1 is the severe lack of usable space to fit additional ICE. The CD43 will fit the Z1, just. When (if) it fails the Blaupunkt Bremen would be the replacement of choice. I still have the original 30 year old speakers, I assume more modern products will improve the sound quality .. but then again its always driven top down so probably not worth spending too much on high end hi fi.

urzzz

Z1 roadster

Post by urzzz »

I've had a go at using IMGUR to show the Bremen in place:

First drive went well, but I've yet to activate the "nav from the phone interrupts the radio" function, which looks like a very neat solution

Mod Edit: Fixed images to display inline for you. R.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

That looks great, too bad I just bought the Pioneer with the flip up screen also with DAB, but also with appleplay....

Not very retro looking at all!!

Robert
Last edited by bluejay on Wed 27 May, 2020 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

M coupe S50

Post by 137699 »

The Bremen looks like it was "meant to be" in that Z1 interior!
Superb addition - nobody would think at first glance it wasn't factory!
survivalist

Z1 roadster

Post by survivalist »

That does look nIce but as TJS said I’m not sure it’s justified in a car that I only drive for fun, usually top down.

With regard to installing decent ICE, there was a feature in one of the 1990s cat audio magazines where they put in upgraded component speakers in the front along with a small subwoofer in the ‘glovebox’ behind the passenger seat. Will try and dig it up and scan it (I’m a hoarder when it comes to magazine articles about the Z1.

Last time I did a long(ish) trio in the Z1 I used my apple AirPods in transparency mode. Much better than the OEM audio, but still able to hear outside noise. Not sure where I’d stand if stopped by the police though.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Pardon?
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

My car came with a Nakamichi head unit that looks suitably retro but it has an ipod connection. Having removed it to replace the lighting for the heater controls! I still haven't managed to press it hard enough against the cat's cradle of cabling in the dash to get it reliably seated. Meanwhile, I'm considering upgrading the speakers but behind the standard grills. Does anyone have any recommendation for speakers?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

ChrisS wrote: Tue 07 Jul, 2020 00:36 My car came with a Nakamichi head unit that looks suitably retro but it has an ipod connection. Having removed it to replace the lighting for the heater controls! I still haven't managed to press it hard enough against the cat's cradle of cabling in the dash to get it reliably seated. Meanwhile, I'm considering upgrading the speakers but behind the standard grills. Does anyone have any recommendation for speakers?
There is a 'hook' in the recess, that locks onto the back of the original Z1 Audio, for security I think, not sure if all cars have this and its getting in the way? If its just wires, take the Left panel off in passenger footwell, use a torch to see what's catching and move them away whilst pushing the radio. Watch radio connections dont get caught up in the heater control cables.
PaulC

Z1 roadster

Post by PaulC »

Hi fitted a Blaupunkt Bremen to my car but having problems with DAB reception, has anybody else had a problem?
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

Did you mount an DAB+ antenna too? Make sure that antenna is well grounded on the frame.

I have found that DAB+ reception is quite sensative, even driving underneath a bridge causes the signal to be lost

Robert
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Suitable original Z1 compatible period Blaupunkt ICE units are available with upgrades for MP3 and Bluetooth connectivity.

https://www.chromelondon.com/buy-electr ... 9-84-c.asp

I didn’t realise until recently that the “new” SQR 46 is a generic Chinese unit made under licensed Blaupunkt branding unlike the original units which were manufactured in Europe until Blaupunkt was sold by Bosch in 2009 and subsequent bankruptcy in 2016. Where are people routing the required additional DAB aerial?
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

The DAB+ antenna is sitting on the pass side windscreen, it needs a good ground connection which I get from the roll bar.

I can take a picture if you want of the location...
PaulC

Z1 roadster

Post by PaulC »

Many thanks Bluejay the grounding does seem an issue.if you could take a picture to illustrate the grounding would be great.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

I removed the pass. side roll bar cover and placed the ground connector/tape to the DAB+ box on the roll bar, the box and wiring are glued to the inside of the windscreen as high as possible on the pass side.
Attachments
IMG_1621.JPG
(249.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PaulC

Z1 roadster

Post by PaulC »

Many thanks Bluejay

I will have a look at that I have places the DAB Ariel on the passenger side just where the wiper rests.

Will keep you posted on this.

Best Regards
PaulC
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Thanks for the information on the aerial location.

A further option is the recent relaunch of the Blaupunkt Frankfurt 82 DAB. Retro styling and similar features and spec to the Bremen SQR

https://blaupunkt.com/c_ee/produkt/fran ... cm-82-dab/
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

I like these retro look units, but I love the appleplay on my modern one and the 7" screen!

RJ
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Another retro option from Blaupunkt …

Frankfurt RCM82 DAB

https://blaupunkt.com/product/frankfurt-rcm-82-dab/
HankLloydRight

Z1 roadster

Post by HankLloydRight »

137699 wrote: Wed 20 May, 2020 08:27 I used one of these - plugs into the CD changer port so you select CD on the headunit and it toggles between the CD slot and and the Bluetooth unit. Works really well!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Mu ... %7Ciid%3A1
That link has long since expired.. and I'd love to see what it actually was... I really want a better connection to the Z1 Audio System than a Bluetooth->FM transmitter I have now. Thanks.