Fuel Pump

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
NeilGezAd

Z1 roadster

Fuel Pump

Post by NeilGezAd »

Hi,

Let me introduce myself, I’m Neil, and a new member of the forum. Recently purchased a Z1 which has sat untouched for 12 years, 23 years after I sold my first Z1; so I’ve definitely got the Z bug! I’ve used the search facility so I think I know the answer to this question but would be very grateful if knowledgeable members could confirm: is the fuel pump on a Z1 a unique part or is there an aftermarket alternative?

Also, I recall reading in posts that that BMW car club members are able to get a 10% discount on parts. Is this still the case and, if so, is this at specific dealers and/or classic-shop@BMW.de?

Many thanks.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by Pat Slade »

Welcome Neil,

The fuel pump is indeed unique to the Z1 within the BMW range. I imagine you are familiar with Real OEM as a parts search tool. Whether the pump is/was fitted to any other makes is anybodys guess.

As a general rule the BMW dealerships I have used give between 5% and 10% off parts. I would suggest that it is worth asking around if you are looking at buying a new fuel pump as it is a very expensive item and you might find some variation between dealers.
The only place I have seen a replacement pump listed or advertised is on the late Michael Kabbert's website z1-online.de. Part No. 900024. Not sure what is happening with Michael's business as he only recently passed away. I can try some friends in the German Z1 club for advice if you wish.
If and when the pump is replaced I would suggest you ensure that the the two short flow and return rubber pipes on the top of the pump are replaced.
The age of the fuel pipes and the ethanol in most current fuels is cause for concern.

Pat
NeilGezAd

Z1 roadster

Post by NeilGezAd »

Pat, thank you for your response and offer of assistance - it’s appreciated. I’m a bit of a novice and this site is full of really helpful information.

I’ve emailed classic-shop@bmw.de to see if they offer the 10% discount and, if so, I will order a new pump from them.

Good point re replacing the two flow and return pipes. I take it this is just cut to length from standard fuel hose?

Once mechanic has got the car started and changed all the fluids and filters etc., the main fuel lines are next on the to do list. I will order the “right angled” hoses (part no’s 13311288284 & 1612294224) and currently investigating whether to buy OEM or are there better aftermarket alternatives?

Neil.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Niel,

I would say buying the two short L shaped hoses from BMW is best. Most of the other fuel lines can simply be cut to mimic original lengths from appropriately sized J30/R9 tubing. Some of the hoses are not easily accessible and are vents or not pressurised. I would give priority to the pressured flow to the injector rail.
I hope J30/R9 is the latest spec. standard, but if not someone more tech than I am is bound to respond and correct me.

Pat
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

NeilGezAd wrote: Fri 26 Jun, 2020 09:26 Hi,
Also, I recall reading in posts that that BMW car club members are able to get a 10% discount on parts. Is this still the case and, if so, is this at specific dealers and/or classic-shop@BMW.de?
Many thanks.
Welcome Neil,

Not all parts qualify, but club members get 15% from Cotswold BMW group. 01242 335335.

Good luck.

PS: In light of the costs, have you considered repairing the pump?
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Sorry for late answer as you probably already solve this point... you can definitely to replace the inner fuel pump at a fraction of the cost of the whole unit sold by dealer. Remove Fuel pump, check Bosch reference and order the same one. It is then a max 30 min job to swap them.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

To access the fuel pump, don't you need to remove the lining in the boot?

Or is there a better way, just curious, as I was told by my local garage that a fuel pump repair was going to be very costly due to the extra work to access it

thnx
Robert
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

NeilGezAd wrote: Fri 26 Jun, 2020 09:26 Hi,

Let me introduce myself, I’m Neil, and a new member of the forum. Recently purchased a Z1 which has sat untouched for 12 years, 23 years after I sold my first Z1; so I’ve definitely got the Z bug! I’ve used the search facility so I think I know the answer to this question but would be very grateful if knowledgeable members could confirm: is the fuel pump on a Z1 a unique part or is there an aftermarket alternative?

Many thanks.
Are yuo sure the fuel pump is not working properly? I had problems starting and it was thought it was the return valve or the fuel pump, but it turned out the pressure regulator and the vacuum hose to that were the culprit(s)...
NeilGezAd

Z1 roadster

Post by NeilGezAd »

A belated follow up........thanks for the offers of advice!

Fuel pump, and other, issues resolved and my car is soon to be back on the road after many years in storage. Decided on a new fuel pump unit (back order from Germany at serious money) as didn’t know anyone who would immediately refurbish the old one, but I’ve kept it as a spare. I’ve changed the two small fuel lines at same time. Thanks, Pat, for the heads up on this.

Robert - my understanding is that “turning” the carpet in the boot to access the the pump is the simpler option - to access from underneath you have you take off exhaust and tank) but you do run the risk of damaging the carpet! My garage did it carefully and no harm done. So, if it’s done this way, I think it’s a relatively simple job, so don’t understand why your garage would say it’s particularly time consuming.

Frederic - I see you’re based in France and the author of the excellent and informative Z1 information guide. A question if I may. My car was BMW France supplied and came with the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser with the triangular “Protection ElectronIque” sticker on the windows, but I haven’t got the remote unit to operate it. Do you happen to know type /model of the alarm and whether I might be able to get hold of a fob that will operate it?

Next on to do list is a few niggling issues with operation of the doors.

Cheers.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Neil,

Pleased to hear that your garage managed to remove and refit the boot carpet without damaging it.
I am encouraged to give it a go myself this winter to replace the short rubber flow and return pipes . Perhaps will try and tease it out with a bit of hairdryer heat!

The alternative I was considering was to cut through the carpet in a semicircle over the cover plate and then use velcro to secure the flap when job done.
If I don't announce success on this forum I expect you will hear my crying.

Pat