Replacement of rear sub frame bushes

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ilovemy2.8z3

Z3 coupe 2.8

Replacement of rear sub frame bushes

Post by ilovemy2.8z3 »

It's that clunk again
1997 2.8 Roadstar recently passed its MOT with flying colours except for an advisory on the rear sub frame bushes. Everything else checks out on the rear clunk so going to have the bushes replaced - certainly some movement on O/S sub frame.

Anyone got any hints or advice on how to tackle the job, and others things which it is sensible to replace while its being done.

Also interested to hear of any garages/technicians within 25 miles radius of Congleton who have done a good job - and at what charge ??
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Re: Replacement of rear sub frame bushes

Post by Deano1712 »

Subframe needs to be removed, or at least dropped to ground. This involves taking off exhausts and handbrake cables, disconnecting driveshaft. The pesky brackets that attach to sills can be difficult to get off due to M8 caphead screws being corroded - worth checking those as pre-task. The old bushes are difficult to remove and really need a special tool or pressing out. Some have resorted to burning them out! I recommend upgrading the bushes to poly. While doing the job its worth refreshing fuel tank straps and the trailing arm bushes.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
ilovemy2.8z3

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by ilovemy2.8z3 »

Thanks - a useful resume of the challenges. Certainly a garage job but doesn't sound too bad if you have the gear for bush removal. I guess un-seen corrosion is the 'elephant in the room' - will give everything a good dose of WD-40 before they start.
Mazza

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mazza »

I stripped mine down at the beginning of this year and replaced all the rubber bushes, springs, shocks, brakes etc. Having access to a press is really useful. I had the old beam bushes and the diff bush pushed out and new ones pushed in, as I used OEM rubber ones. If you go for the poly. version ones they are much easier to put in by hand.
Also, the 4 hex recessed bolts that hold the beam plates in are no longer available so a lot of release fluid and ensure that they are cleaned out and the hex driver is well inserted ( a tap with a hammer is recommended, before trying to undo them)

I removed the rear beam axles and diff in my garage with the car on axle stands. Not difficult just a bit awkward due to the weight of the component parts.
Z3 tank strap supplier :roll: and Rock Star 8-)
ilovemy2.8z3

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by ilovemy2.8z3 »

Thanks. Comments appreciated. Still something I am going to entrust to a skilled mechanic even if it costs me a penny or two !
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

You could try making some pieces of 100 mm sewer pipe to fit intothe spaces on each side of the bush - this can make a surprising difference. Also make sure that the crossmember is not touching the body or the stiffening backet.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!