Swapping Door cards?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
s13col

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Swapping Door cards?

Post by s13col »

I am currently changing my cars interior and i am having a problem swapping the door cards over. One interior has side airbags the other does not. I am having trouble replacing the non airbag door card as it doesn't seem to fit over the fitted airbag side.
Any solutions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Swapping Door cards?

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Fitting a non-airbag door card onto a door fitted with airbags is a little dangerous. Should there be a side impact and the airbag is called to fire, it will not work as it does not have the knock-out (hole) to expand through and do its life saving job.

Suggest that you purchase a set of door cards for side airbags.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Please don't continue with this. As already said you are going to screw up operation of the air bag. An air bag door card has a hinged flap for when detonated. You are going to have door card including hard pieces of plastic blown at high speed into your side. Plus it's a 100% MOT fail to compromise the car in this way.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
s13col

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by s13col »

Thanks for your replies. Other than buying new airbag door cards which seem hard to come by is there any other solution? Can the door cards have a 'hinged flap' made or added maybe by a trimmer?
s13col

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by s13col »

Might it also be possible to remove the side airbags?? I get the feeling most z3's don't seem to have them.
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

I lost the will to live with mine when I got a donor interior - ended up leather dying them (from blue to black) still look great a couple of years down the line