Half shaft

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Half shaft

Post by ChrisS »

When I start driving, I get a crunch noise after a few inches of movement, like driving over a plastic cup. It makes the same noise when the weight shifts going round roundabouts. I had the car up on a ramp and could feel that the half shaft on the driver's side moves laterally. There appears to be a repair kit #331369, and also interior and exterior repair kit bellows. I cant work out which pieces actually need replacement from the BMW Classic Shop page. Has anyone had to do this job, and would I be better off just ordering from a local motor factor?
felix

Z1 roadster

Re: Half shaft

Post by felix »

i think some lateral movement in a halfshaft is to be expected; they need to extend and contract as the suspension droops and compresses. Is one side noticeably different from the other?
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

Yes. The right moves a little, to accommodate suspension movement. The right moves more and the creaky rattle is annoying.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

CV joints tend to rumble as they start to wear. Do you get any noise when moving? Can you check that all of the bolts that attach the inner CV joint to the diff flanges are tight?

Any chance it's a wheel bearing? Although your car doesn't have enough miles for CV joint or wheel bearing issues.

And try driving off with the handbrake applied slightly to see if that changes anything.
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

My car has now done 155,000 km so it could really be anything. The CV boots, both inner and outer, are in good order, so I didn't think the CV joints themselves could fail. The noise is just a crack when you start off or transfer weight on roundabouts. Do I assume correctly that the "repair kit bellows" parts 341647 and 343872 are just the boots and their fixings. I haven't noticed the CV joints themselves listed on the BMW Classic site. I hope they are still available if that's what I need. Thanks anyway for the "They all do that" comment. It's reassuring that I don't need to take further steps until the autumn.
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

Well, I didn't do anything about that last autumn and the car passed its MoT at the garage that I had previously discussed it with. So it is probably not a safety or reliability issue. I'd still like to get it sorted this autumn though. The only difference is that BMW Classic has now shut up shop. At the end of last year, the website stated that they had stopped deliveries to UK addresses. I assumed that was temporary, while they sorted out customs documentation issues, but now it seems permanent. Are there any sources for this sort of part other than BMW main dealers? Some, like Cotswold BMW offer a Club discount; my nearest, North Oxford BMW doesn't recognise the club discount, but perhaps it depends who you talk to! Any other advice would be welcome!
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

I have used Harry Fairbairn north of the border - cheaper than Cotswold BMW. Email kirkcaldy.parts at harryfairbairn.co.uk
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Not that I know anything about the Z1 drive setup, but I have had issues with the half shafts on my Sprite - in fact I snapped one recently! The crack noise could be the takeup in slack in worn splines. I had this really badly with worn splines on both the wire-wheels and hubs - but you get a similar thing with both ends of the half-shafts and the driveshaft. You need to determine which component has the slack in it and is thus making the noise.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc