Collapsed front end!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Collapsed front end!

Post by Gareth 161 »

Whilst out for a drive yesterday, suddenly heard a bang and sounded like I had run over something but on having a look, the front had collapsed and tyres rubbing wheel arches which does not help steering!
Managed to get off the road and lifted onto recovery truck and recovered to local garage although all closed for Xmas break.
Am I correct in thinking that it’s one or both of the front coil springs broke as looks slightly lower on passenger side but both arches right down and can’t really get to see anything.
Not sure what else it could be?
If it is coils, any recommendations where to get replacement ones as want to leave as standard?
Thanks
Gareth 2000 3.0 z3
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Collapsed front end!

Post by Robert T »

Is your zed lowered at all? I had a coil spring snap in half (accompanied by an appropriate gah-doi-oi-oing noise), and the car didn't drop that much, meaning I could drive it the half mile or so to my local indie.

I had problems getting BMW springs, and ended up with Lesjöfors springs from Andrew Paige.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks Robert for the reply.
As far as I know she has been on original standard height springs and always went over speed bumps well(unlike my previous z4!).
Found a pair of springs on eBay but a little wary of those as not a recognised make.
I am assuming it is a spring or springs as can’t think what else it could be but will wait until garage gets her up on the ramp.
Hopefully Ocean bmw parts department in Falmouth will be able to get some springs as couldn’t find anything on an internet search?
Gareth
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I had a spring break on mine, don’t reverse the car as I did or you may need a tyre also :shock:

Don’t forget to have the alignment done after the springs have been replaced.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks but had to reverse it to get off the road but no bangs just rubbing noises from the tyres so hopefully ok.
Good point about the alignment as had not considered that.
I think the garage are going to try and get a pair from bmw on Monday and failing that I have found some on autopartspro.co.uk which seem to offer several types. Not sure why some mention whether it has air con or not as can’t think would affect coil springs?
Will also get the shocks checked as if dubious would make sense to renew at same time as labour would be similar.
Gareth
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Gareth 161 wrote: Thu 31 Dec, 2020 17:04 Thanks but had to reverse it to get off the road but no bangs just rubbing noises from the tyres so hopefully ok.
Good point about the alignment as had not considered that.
I think the garage are going to try and get a pair from bmw on Monday and failing that I have found some on autopartspro.co.uk which seem to offer several types. Not sure why some mention whether it has air con or not as can’t think would affect coil springs?
Will also get the shocks checked as if dubious would make sense to renew at same time as labour would be similar.
Gareth
Re the aircon is because of the extra weight of the ac pumps etc.

I’ve bought springs for other BMW’s from euro car parts.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Hi
Well springs now fitted and came from (BMW) so not the cheapest but at least all back on road now!
Not sure if slightly lower on the front than before or just an illusion as garage ordered them using reg no so should be correct ones unless a previous owner put on something different?.
Was trying to follow the link on another post to check on original specs but that now seems defunct.
Also was wondering about tracking/ alignment as garage does not think necessary as they never touched the steering components?
Drives fine but if needs doing then will get done but with the expense so far, don’t want to waste money especially as the clutch on the forester has just gone. My fault as I tend to drive with foot resting on clutch which apparently isn’t a good thing!
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

When I had my tracking ‘done,’ the guy said it was ok and didn’t charge me anything. At least you know then that it’s is ok.