Z3 Starting issue

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ericholm

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 Starting issue

Post by ericholm »

Hi all,

My Z3 2002 3.0i wont start, Battery is fine, have newish battery and when charged is 14.1V. When turning ignition on all lights on dash come up fine, when turning key to engage starter the soleniod kicks the starter out every 1/2 second or so, so makes a loud clicking noise at it does this, starter not rotating. Having the missus turn the key and a large screwdriver on the body of the solenoid its definately that. With highbeam on whilst doing this they momentarily reduce in brightness but dont fade completely and also electric windows work fine when trying to start. I've plugged in the laptop and looked for error codes using INPA, and a few showing, but to do with brake lights switches. Resetting the codes didnt help. Also changed battery in keyfob just incase, remote central locking works fine. Car is garaged and I ran it around xmas time just to keep things moving in and out of the garage. Have looked on forums, cany see too many others have encountered this, oh and also ran jump leads from another car to wiring on Z3 in boot, removing the Z3 battery from the equation. Also put it in gear and rocked it around and tapped the body of the starter, no joy. Checked fuses nothing and all good.

Any suggestions appreciated.
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 Starting issue

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Its sounding like the starter motor.

You have eliminated the battery by your jump start.

Did you check that you have battery voltage at the jump start posts under the bonnet/hood. This eliminates a faulty electrical connection from the boot/trunk to the engine bay.

What is the voltage at the jump start posts when you are cranking?
ericholm

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ericholm »

More investigation late last night, had the battery on charge as it seemed to be losing its charge fast, so checked the earths and voltage at front of car and were around 12.4v, decided to try and turn over again, but this time, dash lights faded and no solenoid noise, lights had small amount of glow, checked battery and it was pretty much flat. When I jumped it from the boot area only removed negative terminal from equation, could the battery effect the jump if only positive connected. Its a calcium based battery Yuasu. Did some reading and this batteries appear to get to a point of discharge and then you cant charge them back up, Ive ordered a new battery anyway (Varta lead acid 77ah) so before go down the starter route will swap that out and see what happens. So when in place, if still have issue will check the voltage a the jump posts when cranking.

Thanks.
ericholm

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ericholm »

Right, issue is fixed. New Lead Acid Battery in place resolved the issue. So suggest when jumping remove both + and - leads from battery as having left the + connected whilst trying to jump has some impact on process. Anyhow hope this helps someone also.