Which tyres for our Z1 ?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Which tyres for our Z1 ?

Post by F.Brossaud »

Hi,
I need to change my tyres and I had the bad surprised to discover that there are not so many manufacturers offering 225/45X16 now :head:
I found :
- Cheap Chinese stuff, :roll:
- Track days semi slick tyres ... I am a bit scared to use such tyres when you can meet some heavy rain during a trip
- Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K115 . I know Hankook is working withr BMW but this profile does not really look like to be designed for a sport car

I was very happy with Toyo Tyres T1R but I can't find the new TR1 and when I sent message to the manufacturer, I did not get any feedback.

Thanks for your help, because I am a bit lost now...
Frédéric
Lord Taki

Z1 roadster

Re: Which tyres for our Z1 ?

Post by Lord Taki »

I went for Hankook, not so many choices around and when we talk about tyres during the 25th anniversary in Munich Hankook came up.
bjorno

Z1 roadster

Post by bjorno »

I went for Toyo's. Bought new one last year in September so I suppose they should stil have them.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

Hankook Ventus are the one of the few around still, There were some rumours that Pirelli was going to bring out the 245/45x16 again, but I don't think that materialesed

Nitto has two choices as well

Robert
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hi,
after Bridgestome stoped the production of the S02, I decided to buy the Yokohama Advan AD08RS and many Z1 owners of our comunity ( Z1-Nordlichter.de ) followed. It's perfect for sportive driving or/and trackdays because of the high grip level, but also not too critical in rain and. easy to control in dry and wet.. Only negative point is, that you have to be very carefull below 10°C.

Regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

H,
Thanks for all your inputs.
I am very lucky because it seems Toyo released a batch of TR1 : They have been unavailable for at least 2 months and today few webshops are offering them :geek:
So I immediately placed an order.. I hope I will get them....
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

I go through this debate in my head every year - should I replace the Goodyear Eagle F1s on my Z1? They're dated from roughly 2002 and they look absolutely fine. No cracks or the like on the sidewalls or between the tread blocks. They seem to stick to the tarmac as good as always. No bulges in the sidewalls. They don't go out of balance (signs of a delaminating tyre). I know common wisdom talks about replacing after 8 years but I have yet to throw them out.
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

felix wrote: Thu 11 Mar, 2021 09:33 I go through this debate in my head every year - should I replace the Goodyear Eagle F1s on my Z1? They're dated from roughly 2002 and they look absolutely fine. No cracks or the like on the sidewalls or between the tread blocks. They seem to stick to the tarmac as good as always. No bulges in the sidewalls. They don't go out of balance (signs of a delaminating tyre). I know common wisdom talks about replacing after 8 years but I have yet to throw them out.
Hi Felix,

are you the driver from "Driving Miss Daisy"? :D :D :D

Those 18 years old Good Years should have nearly the same wet grip like an winter tire on bare and wet ice.
In 1998 I bought my car with nearly fresh Good Year Eagle F1 and when these tires were 5 years old they looked still like new ones with 5mm profile but it was nearly impossible to start at the green traffic light in rain without wheel spin. The problem are not the cracks, or any sidewall demages, the problem is that the tread of a tire becomes hard and so it looses the grip. That beginns after 3-5 years depneding on the rubber compound. I change tires every 5 max. 6 years and the difference to a new set is enormous (between old and new of same maker and type of tire)

My opinion is, that these four littel peaces of rubber is the only thing that decides if you stay on the road or if you can stopp before the crash. So it's the wrong part to save money. :wink:

Regards
Michael

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Hi Michael, good to hear from you.

The astonishing thing is that they still have phenomenal grip. In the dry braking is so good it’s difficult to get the ABS to kick in.

The car doesn’t see much use - 3000 miles in 10 years!! 😱😱☹️☹️

The car is stored in a dark garage when not in use.
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

felix wrote: Thu 11 Mar, 2021 18:19 The astonishing thing is that they still have phenomenal grip.
That's really astonishing! :shock:
In Germany you will not come trough the periodic TÜV examination with tires older then 8 years. (when the engineer make his job correct)
felix wrote: Thu 11 Mar, 2021 18:19 In the dry braking is so good it’s difficult to get the ABS to kick in.
And how does it work in wet condition? ;)
The weak serial brake with the small discs at the front axle will also be a reason for that. :shock: When you have a big(ger) brake like the Alpina E30 B6 brake it looks different.

I know that you have no problem with the German language, so here is a interesting article from the page of the ADAC (German autobobile club).

Regards
Michael

F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Hi,

I finally received my 4 Toyo TR1 tyres, yum-yum :D
They have been manufactured end of last year. If you need some good tyres, I would suggest to order them while they are available

Frédéric
NeilGezAd

Z1 roadster

Post by NeilGezAd »

Hello Frederic,

Just had 4 new Toyo’s delivered to me here in UK. Manufactured 51w/20. Rating is 93 W XL, which I’m told is the only one produced by Toyo for UK. Do your tires have same rating?

Neil
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Hi,
I think so. I also noticed they were produced end of last year, so I guess they made a batch at the very end of last year to supply Europe.
Frédéric
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

Four new tyres fitted yesterday, Hankook Ventus, again. Nothing else available and it was needed, the old ones had tears in them...

RJ
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

Would a 245/40x17 tyre mounted on a 17x7.5 wheel with 25mm offset be acceptable for the Z1?

thanks
Robert
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

That’s quite a wide tyre for 7.5” rim - a 245 is usually fitted to an 8.5” or 9” rim.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

It appears the choice is now very limited.
Have I missed any info. on the Pirelli remake of a sporty 16 inch tyre?
There was a lot of commentary a year or two ago when Jet, i think, brought it to our attention.

Personally I am not a great fan of Italian jobs, but another maker on the scene must be a plus.

Pat
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

double post! Sorry!
Last edited by Stoertie on Thu 15 Jul, 2021 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Hey Pat,
I just have had a look to the German Pirelli site... no tire in our size (225/45R16) only 17", and 18" are available.

But there are a few others in this size and I'm sure these tires are available in the UK too. Look here

Last Friday we have had a lot of fun at our annual "after work driving" on the Padborg-Park race track with 9 Z1 and a few others (one Z3, two Z4 and one Porsche). :D
The two hours on the track were dry, but on the way to Denmark and back I have had a lot of rain. Up to 180/190 km/h was no problem for the Yokohama AD08RS in the wet.

Regards
Michael

Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Michael,

I was just surprised that Pirelli announced some long time ago that they would start making tyres for the Z1 again. Nothing has happened. Maybe they are like politicians and have made a U turn!
I had Pirellis on my car from new and they were good, but that was a very long time ago.
Recently had some on my Porsche, horribly noisy. Not nearly as good as Bridgestones.
I am quite happy with my Z1 Toyos. They work well enough for an old cruiser like me!

Pat
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Hi Michael,

I was just surprised that Pirelli announced some long time ago that they would start making tyres for the Z1 again. Nothing has happened. Maybe they are like politicians and have made a U turn!
I had Pirellis on my car from new and they were good, but that was a very long time ago.
Recently had some on my Porsche, horribly noisy. Not nearly as good as Bridgestones.
I am quite happy with my Z1 Toyos. They work well enough for an old cruiser like me!

Pat
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Oops. Apologies for duplication.
Probably my error, but technology is not always perfect!

Pat