whats the deal with these raid steering wheels?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

whats the deal with these raid steering wheels?

Post by martyb »

Guys you've persuaded me!

Iv seen a few members now putting up pictures of their raid steering wheels and tbh im swayed.

I didnt appreciate the style at first but now the more i see them im really liking them.

However where is it you guys are finding them? Seen a couple on ebay but coming in at fairly high prices.

Whats the rough cost of one new/preowned?

Whats a bit of background on these? So far iv read that they make steering wheels for bmw, porsche and vw?
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: whats the deal with these raid steering wheels?

Post by lordhelpus »

See the post by Mike Fishwick in the Z3 knowledgebase......this guy knows his stuff.
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

They cost a lot of money but are a bit smaller :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

They are OEM quality german wheels used by most of the high end german tuning companies.

They do various sizes but for the Z3 the 340mm is regarded as optimal compared to the OEM 385mm. They transform the steering feel to how it should have been from factory with a combination of smaller size and thicker wheel the best mod you can do to a Z3 IMHO.

They are a single stage airbag so straight swap to a pre 04/99 Z3 but you need to bridge a circuit on a dual stage > 04/99 Z3.

I have a full write up on fitting them in the knowledge base.

I've fitted one to my porsche as well they are that good.

The best source I've found recently is a site called carnewal in Belgium. He is a porsche dealer but sourced me a wheel cheaper than I could get one from anywhere else.

You will need a Z3 boss as well which you can source from german ebay seperately.

The beauty of these is there is a very strong second hand market so they don't "cost" any more than refurbing an OEM wheel which remains too big. All you are doing is tieing up capital until you resell :wink:

With any Z3 get your suspension sorted and fit one of these before you bother doing anything else 8-)

Edit. Here is my guide to fitting

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=23787
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Del wrote:They cost a lot of money but are a bit smaller :)
You've never driven a Z3 with one fitted then :roll:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Jonttt wrote:
Del wrote:They cost a lot of money but are a bit smaller :)
You've never driven a Z3 with one fitted then :roll:
Surely Del's comment is factually correct? I'm not sure it was meant to be taken in any particular way.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Only a bit of light hearted fun - no offence taken or intended. Mr Jonttt has got out of patience with me in the past for similar comment about this smaller steering wheel :D
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It's not just the smaller diameter, but the thicker, well-profiled rim, and the absence of those sharp-edged bits of plastic which must have been designed to cut into one's thumbs. It looks, and feels, like a steering wheel for a sports car, rather than something found in the parts bin for a large saloon. It is the sort of thing BMW should have always fitted, or at least offered as an option.

The real attraction however, is that by replacing the original 385 mm horror with a 340 mm wheel, the circumference of the rim is reduced by 142 mm, so raising the overall gearing of the steering system between the rim and the column. On a car such as the Z3, whose steering wheel requires 3.5 turns of the wheel from lock to lock, the difference in the amount of turning at the rim from full left to full right lock is 500 mm, or a reduction of about 18 inches - almost half a turn of the original wheel.

I bought mine from Chrom-Design in Germany about seven years ago, when the exchange rate meant I paid £315 including postage, and have never regretted it - even when the car is sitting in its garage it feels 'special.' In terms of comfort, I have covered 850 miles in a day without my hands being in pain, which was impossible with the original wheel.

The only downside is that it does not carry a BMW logo, which seems to upset a lot of otherwise normal people, but when driving I prefer to look out of the screen, not down at the steering wheel!

The only other modification which gives so much pleasure is the inch-and-a-half shorter gear lever, which cost nothing to shorten, and about 50 pence for some body filler to replace the spongey rubber core.

A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...998 Euro now...ex shipping, VAT, duty etc.... :shock:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Try carnewal ........

There is also one for sale I posted up on the stock exchange with Z3 hub from a coupe......
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Have just looked up Carnewal and they start at 375 euros!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Rafolian wrote:Have just looked up Carnewal and they start at 375 euros!
+21% tax :wink:

I have recently put one on my car, spent last Monday at Donington park putting the new steering wheel to the test, it really is very good, and feels good in the hands.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

375 Euros + VAT from Carnewal is not surprising, as many resellers seem to think that they can get away with doubling the price - when I was looking around to buy my RAID wheel, the UK importers quoted £650 - twice the price I finally paid at Chrom-Design.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Thanks very much for the detailed responses guys.

I checked that company out aswell 375 euros indeed.

Would i be correct in saying from what i have read that since mine is an Feb 97 model i have a single stage airbag?

Also that these raid steering wheels come with the single adapter?

I will be keeping an eye on ebay for these unless mines gets particularly bad over the next short while.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep your is a single stage system car.

The raid wheels are all single airbag so are easy to wire to your car. You just need to buy a Z3 hub adaptor for them.

Ps make sure you get a 340mm one.
urquattrogus

M coupe S50

Post by urquattrogus »

Looking to buy a Raid 340mm wheel, anyone bought one of late?

Looks like they are tricky to get hold of, maybe German ebay?

Can't even find a way of contacting Raid/Atiwe/FVD or whatever they call themselves.d wheel

The large standard wheel on my Z3M coupe is just too big and also hits my legs a bit.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

It's a few years since i bought mine but i am more than welcome to send you a couple of the email addresses I used when dealing with them if you want?
Holbrook

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Holbrook »

('_')Z3 wrote: Tue 19 Jan, 2021 11:56 It's a few years since i bought mine but i am more than welcome to send you a couple of the email addresses I used when dealing with them if you want?

Hey man I just stumbled on the topic and I’m glad your reply here is recent. I’d like to get those emails if you don’t mind.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

One of the best places to source them used to be Carnewal.....http://www.carnewal.com/

They are a well known Porsche aftermarket supplier and I sourced my last one from them, they used to be the best prices as well.

worth an email / call to speak to them if your looking for one......

If your looking second hand don't look by car brand but by wheel style you want.....ie you can just buy the correct boss to fit to many different makes of car so don't limit your search ;-)
Holbrook

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Holbrook »

Awesome thanks jonttt!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

After about eight years I still enjoy my RAID steering wheel - even when the car is just sitting in the garage!

I wonder if there is another BMW group wheel which would fit, such as a MINI, or a modern Z4 - or perhaps an MX-5? A two-stage airbag should not be a problem to adapt.
Holbrook

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Holbrook »

I feel like even if there was a modern steering wheel that was compatible, it would come with so many extra buttons that wouldn’t really have any use in the Z3. I like how simple the raid wheel is but I just don’t like the shape of the air bag. I wish there was a simpler version of the Z4 wheel with no buttons but then again all the research I’ve done shows that those wheels are not that much smaller than Z3 wheel.
Daz

M roadster S54

Post by Daz »

Hi all,

hope you are all well - long time no message and what a timely thread revival.

I'm looking for some help and guidabce here... I bought a 340mm Raid Daytona early last year and have been looking for the right boss / adapter ever since!

The Raid/Atiwe 160122 part just doent seem to pop up anywhere and a boss from Demon Tweeks which sounded promising didnt match the hole pattern of the Raid wheel.

I'm determined to get this wheel fitted to Charlotte this year (I've only been her custodian for 14 years) so I am looking to you knowledgeable folk to assist if you can.

Best regards,

Daz
Still Charlotte's Custodian.